Practicality of college in the Marines
Create Post

Question Practicality of college in the Marines

I’m currently a senior in college. I have decided to finish this degree and go directly to OCS. Once I finish, I am considering taking college courses while working as an Officer, possibly even earning a second bachelor’s degree, as a step toward taking medical school, as my current degree is completely irrelevant to science and my GPA is a little too low.

My question is, would this be feasible with the workload of an officer? I performed a Google search and couldn’t seem to find an answer to anything quite like it.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Assuming you get a commission, based on what I've read, the Marine Corps will probably prefer that you got a grad degree instead of another bachelors. However, as I was not an officer, I don't know for certain.

If you stay in long enough, the Corps will likely send you off to one of the war colleges, which will result in a masters degree.

We have some officer members, but they visit here irregularly. Since you need to get with an OSO anyway, you can always ask him/her that question. I can guarantee you won't have a lot of time to do college for the first year or so, and maybe longer depending on your MOS. Online colleges are an option, perhaps. I don't know how med schools view them.

Most people trying to do what you are doing do what is called a Master in Medical Science to boost their GPA and get the pre-reqs in. A lot of these MMS programs are a conditional "in" to a medical school depending on what GPA you maintain. I don't think it will be possible to do as well as you'd need to do while an active duty officer, having known some people have gone this route to Med or Dental school.

Mike

Thread Information