Question about joining with a friend.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question about joining with a friend.

So I'm joining next year and a friend of mine is considering joining. Is there a way for us to end up in the same unit together? Also, he has a GED which from what I've read makes it harder for him on the ASVAB, will that affect anything other than the ASVAB? Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

If you have a GED you ALSO need 15 college credits to be eligible to join.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyparker9 View Post
    So I'm joining next year and a friend of mine is considering joining. Is there a way for us to end up in the same unit together? Also, he has a GED which from what I've read makes it harder for him on the ASVAB, will that affect anything other than the ASVAB? Thanks in advance.
    Having a GED doesn't affect anything on the ASVAB, unless he is irretrievably stupid. As crazymjb said, he will have to have 15 college credits too, all 100 level or higher. Both of you should get copies of the ASVAB study guide before you take the ASVAB as the higher the score, the more MOSs that will be open to you. The ball is in your friend's court now.

As far as joining together, I believe the Corps still has the Buddy Program, where you can enlist with a friend and be assigned to the same boot camp platoon. That is as far as they can guarantee it. You might be in the same School of Infantry company by chance, you might end up in the same MOS school, also by chance. You MIGHT even end up in the same first duty station, but all by chance.

I went to boot camp with some Marines that I was in ITR with, truck driver's school, and to Iwakuni, Japan. Some of us even ended up in Vietnam in the same air group. But that was all merely chance and I never served in the same unit with any of them again.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the replies.

Thread Information