Getting in shape after muscular atrophy?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Getting in shape after muscular atrophy?

Hello Marines,
    I asked a while back about waivers for my shoulder surgery. I realized that I should worry about the things I have control over, such as my physical shape, instead of worrying about what BUMED or MEPS will think.

To give a bit of background, on january 25th this year I had a Bankart repair on my right shoulder, which left me immobile for weeks. After 6 weeks had passed, I was allowed to start therapy, which ended in April. Unfortunately, I do not quite have my full ROM back yet (its almost there) and my strength is far off, but I AM allowed to start running now, which Ive started doing.
    My 4 months of stagnation basically resulted in not only losing muscle but also putting on a hefty 20-25 lbs of fat. Im currently 5'7" and exactly 200lbs.

My doctors and therapists will not let me start lifting/benching/squatting until at least this fall, and right now Im not allowed to do bodyweight either.
    I want to know if someone else on this forum has been through a similar experience and has advice as to how one can lose a solid 20-30lbs and also regain strength over a few months. I know that "good dieting is key" along with that stuff, but I'd like to hear some more specific advice. For a few weeks Ive mainly gone to spinach and omelettes when hungry, and cut sugar drinks off of my menu, and gone running 2 miles 5 days a week and still am not seeing improvements, which is why Id like some advice.
    thank you for reading my post, and also thank you to all Marines for your service.