Former Marine promotes career with infantry skills
Submitted by: New York Public Affairs
Story Identification Number: 2004130134624
Story by Lance Cpl. Sarah Beavers

NEW YORK(January 30, 2004) -- Walking inside the 17th Precinct from the cold, winter streets of New York, Police Officer Jason Grabowski clocks in for the evening shift and reflects on how the Marine Corps has built his career and character.

"The Marine Corps prepared me, physically and mentally, for the Police Academy," he said. "Drill came into play. The shooting, leadership and overall discipline put me further ahead than the kids fresh out of college."

Grabowski was an Infantryman with 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, which deployed with the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) for real world training in foreign environments. During his military career, he proudly attained the rank of Corporal, and drew Montgomery G.I. Bill benefits after his honorable discharge.

"The money really helped...especially with [the cost of attending] the Academy," said the 28-year-old native of Middletown, N.Y. " I wasn't the greatest with my academics, and I didn't want to waste my parents' money on college. The Marine Corps was a real eye opener. It gave me the chance to find out who I was and what I could be."

Grabowski gives younger Marines the advice to, "Stay in shape... don't lose it." He has been a member of New York's Finest for three years, and adds that the Corps was the best career decision he could have made.

" With my background experience and [security] clearance, I was promoted to company commander while in the Academy," he said. "It's definitely given me an edge [now] for applying as a State Trooper."

Becoming a Patrol Officer was just the natural choice for Grabowski after his four year enlistment, given the similarities between the two job fields. His infantryman knowledge has taught him how to evaluate dangerous situations and familiarity with countering attacks, skills considered imperative to enforce the law and protect those he serves. "Everyone's keeping the peace... that's what we did everyday."

Police Officer Jason Grabowski, Patrol Officer with NYPD 17th Precinct, credits the Marine Corps with his success in law enforcement. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Sarah Beavers

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...D?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger