Open contract
Create Post

Thread: Open contract

Open contract

Hi, I have a question on open contract. I'm not a citizen, and I scored a 45 on asvab,(el 109 mm 92 gt 98 cl100) so jobs are really limiting to me, should I do open contract? After boot camp I can become a citizen and more job options. I'm cool with any mos except for cooks, but what are the chances me ending up as a cook?

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Open mouth-
    insert foot.

Very few people join the Marine Corps to be a cook. That means, most cooks are open contracts. Nobody can say what the chances are you will end up with that job. Only thing for sure with an open contract is, the Marine Corps will put you where they need you.

You cannot plan on changing jobs after becoming a citizen in bootcamp (regardless of what your recruiter says). You will go to the school for the job that's on your contract when you go to bootcamp. That school costs the Marine Corps a lot of money. They are not going to invest that money, let you change jobs, then turn right around, and send you to another school, costing them even more money. You will not be eligible to even ask to change jobs for at least 2 years after completing school.

So. It's a gamble taking an open contract. You may end up a cook, and you may not (nobody can say). How lucky do you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dong1999 View Post
    Hi, I have a question on open contract. I'm not a citizen, and I scored a 45 on asvab,(el 109 mm 92 gt 98 cl100) so jobs are really limiting to me, should I do open contract? After boot camp I can become a citizen and more job options. I'm cool with any mos except for cooks, but what are the chances me ending up as a cook?
    Not a citizen & got a 45 on asvab- No secret clearance in your future.

You'll not get more job options after boot camp.

I'd guess your best bet on jobs are: Cook and Bulk Fuel.

My advice: Get more education, retake asvab and try again in a few years.

It is my understanding. All hands must at least possess a secret clearance today.

Credits
    Savings
    I once had my life saved by a bunch of US Navy Cooks-
    provided me with a HOT MEAL and kept me from
    killing myself from eating another MRE

I just graduated MCT so I don't know what help I can give but from the guys that had open contract in my company got jobs the marine corps needs so it's really more about the needs of the marine corps more than we are just gonna throw you into a random mos. I hope this helps you might want to ask someone that's been in a lot longer than me for a more certain answer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    It is my understanding. All hands must at least possess a secret clearance today.
    Meh I know a guy from Iraq who is in the Marine Corps with a TS So it is possible.

All Marines must have a favorably adjudicated background investigation for a secret security clearance to have access to the Marine Corps Enterprise Network (MCEN), i.e. email account, etc. So, if you are not a U.S. citizen, you are not authorized that access.

Thread Information