"Rating" a t shirt?
Create Post

"Rating" a t shirt?

I tried to post this a minute ago but the page froze so hopefully a duplicate won't pop up, but the other day I was on Facebook and saw that my buddy, who enlisted 03xx back in '12, was tagged in a few pics with other Marines in Afghanistan. One of them was wearing a Raiders shirt and another Marine half jokingly or jokingly not sure commented on the pic something like "So we think we rate the Raiders shirts now lol?" and that made me stop and think. I have a couple Raiders shirts (one for MARSOC 8222 and another for the Raider Project), is it bad taste for me to wear them? I've liked wearing them before to show my support for the groups, but I also don't want to look like I'm playing GI Joe and trying to share their mantel.

Similar Threads:

It's a t shirt. Unless you're trying to act like you're a Marine or a member of that unit, I don't see the issue. It's not like wearing uniform items or ribbons/medals. That's just me though.

Thanks for the reply, and yeah that's what I figured too. But after seeing that post I decided I'd rather get a second opinion from the people who are more closely connected to it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with you wearing the shirt to show support for MARSOC. A t-shirt does not fall under the category of "stolen valor" where you are wearing military medals or any parts of a military uniform. Don't know, but I doubt any Raiders actually wear anything like this - special operators never bring attention to themselves and never talk about what they do. I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      Same question as last week.

IMO you don't rate to wear one. It's not like it's a football or baseball T-Shirt of your favorite team.

Best not to do it that way you won't cause any speculation and unwanted attention to yourself.

If I saw someone wearing it I would step up and ask about the shirt.

Good luck with that.

OP....

As Tennessee Top and RockC stated.
      You will only draw attention to yourself and are asking to be approached and/or called on it by someone.
      It could easily be thought that you are misrepresenting yourself.

If it were me....I would not be wearing paraphernalia of that nature.

If one wants to wear that gear....join up and earn it.

That's my take on it....

A lot of boat company's actually use the designator of "Raider" as well. Espically in 1st Marines, not just MARSOC. Given the time frame, I'd assume that's what was being referenced. Either way, it will draw attention but don't steal their thunder or disrespect the name and you should be good to go.

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      The OP is a civilian !!!

I was not going to get in on this but after reading the various post I thought I would,,

IMO I don't have a problem with it,, much like a civilian wearing a shirt or sweat shirt with the Eagle Globe and Anchor on it,, I can easily tell the difference between a civilian and a Marine,, so I don't have a problem with it,, I have had a lot of civilians sporting shirts and sweat shirts that have USMC or Marines with the Eagle Glob and Anchor come up to me and shake my hand and say thank you..

I don't think this is a big deal, the OP is not wearing a uniform or trying to claim to be a part of this,, so I say the OP is good to go..

Last edited by irpat54; 02-24-16 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling correction

I have a problem with it and if I see someone wearing one, or any Marine Logo Item, I'm going to ask about it. I earned the title and the right to wear it and I want to protect it.

Too many people want to wear Marine Labeled items. I've heard all the reasons, and most aren't valid.

Guest Free Member
      Credits
      Savings
      Images
      Exactly !!!

That is why companies like Sgt. Grit make to shirts and caps that say " In honor of, Marine Wife, Son, Daughter, Family, Friend, In support of, etc, etc, etc, ".

You all know I'm not an uptight kind of guy, but I'm with Rocky on this. If I see someone wearing an USMC shirt, I ask them if they served. Usually the insert is yes and then we BS about the Corps for a bit and shake hands. The "I wear it to support the unit" thing just rings hollow with me, and seems kind of lame. I guess to each their own, but personally I think it's in bad taste, especially something specific like a unit t. Now if you're wearing it and claiming to be something you're not, and I find out, we are like as not going to have a problem, and I may relieve you of your shirt depending on how many beers are in me and what kind of day I'm having.

Is this a unit t-shirt issued by the unit or a shirt sold in a store?

Thread Information