Now here is today's Little Known Facts Story! (from the Little Known Facts Radio program)

The United States Marines, along with the other great branches of the military, is an outfit that has done us proud. The Marines were first organized in November 1775. The first Marine officer was a fellow named Samuel Nicholas. Originally the Marines were under the jurisdiction of the War Department, until the Congress created the Navy Department, and they have been part of the Navy ever since. The U.S. Marines have definitely earned their stripes. They are trained and ready to be the first in on land and to take on the most dangerous and deadly of duties. During our own revolution they stood by our leaders and protected them from both British and Indian attackers. In the War of 1812, they again served with honor and distinction as they did in World War I and II. But it was World War II where their efforts and actions became legendary - on Guado Canal, Saipan, Okinawa and on the beaches of Normandy. Even during the Gulf War, Vietnam, Afghanistan and so many other times, the men and women of the U.S. Marines have kept up the honor and heritage of the Corp. The Marines are also the official guards of U.S. Embassies and Consulates all over the world, and in these times that’s a job in itself. But that first contingency of Marines back in 1775 was made up of 1 major, 4 captains, 16 first lieutenants, 12 second lieutenants, 48 sergeants, 48 corporals and 721 privates. There were even 32 drum and fife players which later became the famed Marine Corp. Band that has played for every President since John Adams. But it’s that first Marine that I wonder about. That officer who was put in charge and given the responsibility of training and shaping 800 men into one of the world’s most efficient and deadly fighting force in the history of the world. Evidently Major Nicholas did his job just fine. Just look at what he and his successors have built. But that’s something of an enigma to me, because of whom he was. It’s a Little Known Fact that the very first U.S. Marine, who took on the responsibility for creating, training and making one of the finest fighting forces in the history of the world, came from a culture and society whose every belief was completely contrary to those principles. You see, Major Nicholas was a Quaker, dedicated to nonviolence and peace. But in the words of Sam Nicholas, “I came to realize that my people could not exist without the promise and freedom offered by the new government. Sometimes you just have to do what needs to be done.” I know it was against your beliefs, Major Nicholas, but we all thank you anyway!