College and being in the Reserves
Create Post

College and being in the Reserves

Hello Marines, I have a few questions regarding the USMC Reserves while going to college and how the IIADT works.

I'm currently a freshman in college and have been exercising the thought of serving. I've always been fond of the military and especially the Marine Corps, and possibly serving, however during high school I set my course for going to college as that is where I currently am. My best friend is a Marine and I've enjoyed talking to him about his time so far (currently at MOS school) and made me lean towards the possibility of myself joining. With that being said, here are a few of my questions regarding the Reserves.

1. Is the IIADT program still in place?

2. How has being in the reserves affected schooling? (Im majoring in Mechanical Engineering so work load will definitely be ample)

3. Does the Reserve unit you are placed in determine your MOS? I live in Maine and go to school in New Hampshire and from what I've seen, all New England Reserve units are infantry? would this mean if I was to join I would have to have an infantry MOS?

I am hesitant to speak to a recruiter as I feel once I contact one I may not be left alone till I make a definitive yes or no answer. College is also a top priority of mine because of my interest in the field of Mechanical Engineering. If any of you Marines have any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

And as always, thank you for your service that allows this country to be great!