Questions from a future recruit
Create Post

Questions from a future recruit

So it is very well my intention to go into the USMC after high school. I'm a 16 year old junior,about 5"9,114 pounds. So you could say I'm of average or at least "okay" fitness for now. I'm enrolled in MCJROTC as well,& I do well in there. At the rank of Cadet Sergeant,I have decent leadership skills,& I'm fairly comfortable with drilling and leading a squad. (Or at least our version of a squad,which is only about 7 people max,haha.) Anyway,I mention this because I would love to be a Combat Engineer. The local recruiter here is pretty hesitant to tell me anything,his usual response is,"We'll talk more when you're a senior". Makes sense,but what should I know? How should I prepare for not only boot camp,but the reaquirements for getting this particular MOS? The Normal answer I get from him is,"Get that high school diploma,then you'll get a better idea of the Marines once you're recruited." This leaves me with the impression that the Marines mostly plops you into whatever they feel is necessary from the start. He recommends I take the ASVAB later on this year as well. What should I expect from the test? Would a better technical skill/score on the test help me? Plus I would always assume a Marine Combat Engineer would be well versed in Mathematics,so I should probably study up on that since I'm no the greatest at it. I'm very sorry if this all seems vague,but the recruiter seems kinda unsure on how I could get that MOS in the first place anyway as well. Haha,is there any advice I could get to prepare for recruitment?

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good questions, but a lot of questions, we'll need to break them down, I guess.
    First, boot camp preparation, others here can go into detail, but it's mostly commitment and attitude. Determination to give 110% of yourself, in boot camp, every waking moment.-----learn your General Orders before you ship out. Much more, but others will give you advice too.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The local recruiter here is pretty hesitant to tell me anything,his usual response is,"We'll talk more when you're a senior".

IMHO I would go see another Marine Corps Recruiter. They are allowed to speak to you in your Junior year of high school to talk you thru the process of enlisting in the Marine Corps and beyond.

There are plenty of practice ASVAB tests online to give you an idea of what to expect. You can also get ASVAB study guides, like "ASVAB For Dummies", at your local library or a bookstore.

Math may help but construction Combat Engineers build things like bridges, offensive/defensive structures and they also destroy those same things belonging to the enemy with demolitions. Heavy equipment operators grade roads, tactical airfields, etc. Yes, your focus should be more on the mechanical/technical aspects of the ASVAB. There will be a required ASVAB score to get into the Combat Engineer field. You may attain that score, but still end up in a different MOS. It all depends on the needs of the USMC at the time (you're impression of getting plopped into whatever they feel is necessary is pretty accurate - and the way it needs to be). You cannot enlist for a specific MOS (unless you sign a reserve contract).

There are lots of reasons why your particular recruiter may not be chomping at the bit to sell you harder but I expect your age is #1 (you must be at least 17 to enlist and that requires parent's consent - most enlist at 18 or older). I'm sure he just wants you to mature some more before putting too much work into you. Also, recruiters get their guidance from higher headquarters (based on the needs of the USMC again). I know the USMC wants to increase the number of females on active duty. So, his response to you may be different if you were a girl for instance. Recruiters are also pushing the reserve side more so than the active duty side (due to the active duty force reduction which is almost complete).

As far as preparing for bootcamp, just stay active and physically fit. Once you do enlist and join the Delayed Entry Program (DEP), your recruiters will work with you and get you prepared both physically and mentally. They will not let you ship to bootcamp till you're ready.

My impression is, you are just a little ahead of the game at this point. You will become more attractive to the recruiters once you become a senior (that is their target audience).

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    The only thing you need to be worrying about is staying out of trouble(no drugs, no alcahol, no speeding, don't get a girl pregnant, etc), stay in decent shape/don't get fat, and graduating highschool.

The MOS you want is not really up to you, when you do get to DEP in/enlist you will get aa choice of an MOS field..not a specific MOS. Ultimately if you want to be a Marine bad enough the MOS you choose really doesn't matter anyway.

There really is no "preparing" for bootcamp, just go into it with an open mind ready to get thrashed. Learning all your general orders and all that stuff is great but I can almost guarantee if a drill instructor, another Marine, or myself stepped in front of you, you would'nt remember it anyway

What will sum up the easiest answer for you is "Needs of the Marine Corps." You can request the Combat Engineer field and you may get it you may not it all depends on how long you are willing to wait for the job you want, or what the Marine Corps is trying to fill at a particular time.

There are so many places you could be sent for combat engineer, they have the bridging company, they have the route clearance guys, they have demolitionists, they have guys that build things, some of them ive seen with weld shops. So dont get focused on just one aspect of it either.

Thread Information