Warrant Officers
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Warrant Officers

Good Afternoon,

Is there anyone who could tell me a little about warrant officers? As who they really are and what they do and how to become one? Like say for infantry or artillery, armor etc. Are there warrant officers? Just curious.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Another good question.

My info is based on old info so I'll pass, except for just telling you that I only ran into one WO, and that was a guy who went from Staff Sgt, E-6, to Warrant Officer, but I don't know the exact circumstances

In my entire four years I only came across that ONE person who was a WO. Whether they are that rare nowadays, others can say.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That's interesting. I have heard you don't run into them much. Also I'll probably ask a lot of questions until I ship out I like the answers I get back on here. I'll just try to gain some knowledge and attempt to have a well rounded generalization of things.

How to Become a Warrant Officer in the Marine Corps

A Marine Corps Warrant Officer, or WO, is a technical expert in an assigned field of specialty. A WO is higher in rank than an enlisted Marine, yet not as high as a regular officer. Unlike regular officers, Warrant Officers are chosen strictly from among the Corp's enlisted members. There are four different Warrant Officer programs for you to choose from, including active duty, reserve, career recruiter and Marine gunner. The process to become a WO is similar for all four programs.

Step 1
    Obtain a score of 110 or higher on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB. If your ASVAB score is too low, a score of 900 or higher on the Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT, is also acceptable. If necessary, retake the ASVAB. You must wait at least six months before retesting.

Step 2
    Ensure that you have the appropriate amount of Marine Corps experience The experience requirements vary depending on the program you seek to enter. For entry into the active duty or reserve programs, you need eight years of experience, with a minimal rank of Sergeant. Entering through the Marine gunner program requires at least 16 years of experience, with experience as an infantry unit leader. To enter via the career recruiter program, you must be a Staff Sergeant, with at least 12 years of active duty experience and three years of experience as a career recruiter.

this is all I have,, I too only ran across one WO..

WO's are considered to be the technical experts in their field. I applied to the WO program 5 years in a row beginning when I was a Sgt. Met all the eligibility requirements but obviously never selected.

The USMC will publish an annual bulletin soliciting applications and providing info such as what MOS's are needed that fiscal year, eligibility requirements, application deadline, etc. The application must contain a recent photo either in uniform or PT gear to see your personal/uniform appearance. The original application must then go up the Marine's chain of command and receive endorsements from each commander along the way.

Selectees will receive orders to the Warrant Officer Basic School in Quantico and then MOS school.

Read the similar threads below your question for more info.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    There are WO in just about every MOS, more so in technical fields like engineer(s).

WO in the infantry are referred to as "Gunners", they are weapons experts and advise battalion and regimental level commanders on use of weaponry. You have to be at least an E-7 Gunnery Sergeant to be eligible for a Gunner spot.

WO in most other MOSs act as platoon commanders and operations officers for their respective unit...Platoon level all the way up to Group/Division/Wing. You have to be an 8 year Sergeant or SSgt to be eligible for selection.

I am considering putting in a WO package next year when I hit my 8 year mark

Thread Information