Questions about Artillery Field Officer MOS
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Questions about Artillery Field Officer MOS

Good Afternoon,
    I apologize in advance for the long post.
    I am a college junior who has a ground contract for PLC (Will be shifted to OCC if I wasn't selected on the April 22 board). I have been looking up potential ground MOS's that I would want to put on my list when that time comes and after a several days of research on this website and several others I still have several questions about the Artillery Field Officer MOS:

1) Is it possible to be a Forward Observer as an Officer? If so is there a special way to get that billet or do all new Artillery Field Officers need to be FO's? I would really like to do this in order to potentially be attached to an infantry or LAV unit because one of my top choices of MOS's is to be an Infantry Officer so if I don't get that I would still want to be a grunt.

2) What is it like being an Field Artillery Officer, especially as a 2nd Lt? What occurs during the average day-to-day (Stateside and/or Deployed)?

I know some of these questions have been answered before, however the answers have often been conflicting so I am hoping for a more solid answer. Thank you for your time.

-Colin

Similar Threads:

I'd suggest checking those links at the bottom of your thread.
    Look likes those should give you a big enough clue.

Good luck....carry on.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for your quick reply and advice sir! Unfortunately I actually have already looked at those links though, they were part of my original research on this site. They did not shed much light on the subject though because the majority are about the enlisted side and information within the thread on the officer side was never confirmed by an actual artillery officer. I will go back through them though to ensure I did not miss any information.

Quote Originally Posted by hbosch14 View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply and advice sir!
    You're welcome.

I'm no real help as wars are fought much differently then my era.
    I don't ever recall serving with or even seeing a 2nd Lt. in the field with my unit.
    All were 02 and above.
    A Lt. as an FO....not sure that would be the case but I'm just guessing.

Brother Baker1971 (Master Guns) may have some current G2 on your query if he sees your post.
    Along with myself, he was in artillery too if I recall correctly.

Back to it....

Thread Information