OCS, What was it like and what do I need to be ready for?
Create Post

Question OCS, What was it like and what do I need to be ready for?

I have yet to find anything on someones personal experience in OCS or got any tips for getting ready for it, would appreciate any info.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Be prepared to run, run, and run some more. OCS is an evaluation to weed out non-hackers and be sure you have what it takes to be a commissioned officer in the Corps. Other than some class time and time doing drill manual, most of OCS is all physical....you literally run everywhere you go.

Oh and OCS is intended to break you, it's how you handle being broken off and still being able to lead that the staff evaluates you.

So it's a lot like basic training for enlisted?

It's called Boot Camp...

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-05-14 at 11:09 AM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTheWanderer View Post
    So it's a lot like basic training for enlisted?

It's called Boot Camp...
    no it is not like boot camp at all. boot camp is a training process that breaks you down and builds you up with new standards as a Marine. boot camp is tough physically yes but it's not intended to break you, it's intended to push your comfort zone and make you stronger/more confident in your abilities.

OCS like i said before is an evaluation to test your capability of leading your peers(other Marines) under heavy amounts of physical and mental stress. It is not a training process, its a 6(x2)/10 week test of what your capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    no it is not like boot camp at all. boot camp is a training process that breaks you down and builds you up with new standards as a Marine. boot camp is tough physically yes but it's not intended to break you, it's intended to push your comfort zone and make you stronger/more confident in your abilities.

OCS like i said before is an evaluation to test your capability of leading your peers(other Marines) under heavy amounts of physical and mental stress. It is not a training process, its a 6(x2)/10 week test of what your capable of.
    Alright, thank you for the response, was curious because of all the different answers I was getting from enlisted Marines.

Last edited by Rocky C; 05-06-14 at 05:23 PM.

Would you ask a NASCAR driver what truck driving school is like? Josephd hit the nail on the head. It's two 6-week summers, or one 10-week summer, of non-stop physical exertion with what I certainly felt was an inadequate amount of sleep and nutrition. It's no joke. If you don't show up ready to train, you can bet you are going to go home disappointed. Or, I suppose relieved, if it wasn't your thing.

They just stack stress on you until you fail, and you will fail, so that the staff can see how you'd react to failure in a controlled environment. It's sadistically fun, but it definitely is painful.

How much PT and how little food do they have there? Lets say I reported in weighing a decent 165, and left weighing 143. In six weeks. My issued trousers were way too tight around the waist, and the Marine at receiving said, "in a few weeks it won't be a problem." He sure was right. Hint: don't order your dress blues based off your measurements a week before graduation... you'll outgrow them within the year!

Quote Originally Posted by djj34 View Post
    Would you ask a NASCAR driver what truck driving school is like? Josephd hit the nail on the head. It's two 6-week summers, or one 10-week summer, of non-stop physical exertion with what I certainly felt was an inadequate amount of sleep and nutrition. It's no joke. If you don't show up ready to train, you can bet you are going to go home disappointed. Or, I suppose relieved, if it wasn't your thing.

They just stack stress on you until you fail, and you will fail, so that the staff can see how you'd react to failure in a controlled environment. It's sadistically fun, but it definitely is painful.

How much PT and how little food do they have there? Lets say I reported in weighing a decent 165, and left weighing 143. In six weeks. My issued trousers were way too tight around the waist, and the Marine at receiving said, "in a few weeks it won't be a problem." He sure was right. Hint: don't order your dress blues based off your measurements a week before graduation... you'll outgrow them within the year!
    This is what I was hoping to hear, something a little more realistic from someone who went through it. Have any advice to get into the right mindset before attempting it?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Get Some !!!

Thread Information