Army National Guard to Marine Corps
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Army National Guard to Marine Corps

Afternoon, everyone!

I'm currently enlisted in the Army National Guard in Puerto Rico, about to hit my 3 year mark by the end of this month. After some time being chagrinned by how things are run here in the Guard, I've decided to transfer over to active duty for the Marine Corps. Some think I'm crazy (parents in particular) for wanting to stop studying and and wanting to change my current job (Medic) and switching over to possibly be Infanty in the USMC. Right now, I'm quite sure I'm going to make the right decision in my life, even if other people don't understand why I'm going to do this.

I'm making this change because it's really something that I need to do. I'm sure that the USMC will help me achieve a personal goal I'm currently working on.

Anyway, I've already spoken to a USMC recruiter, and he squared me away on what I need to make this transfer. Need a Conditional Release, then retake the ASVAB (kind of let down on this one, but still not complaining), and then see what job fields I qualify for.

Has anyone here gone through this sort of process or know of anybody who has done this? If so, I'd like to know your or your buddy's experience during this transition. Also, how do you feel ever since the change?

(Please excuse any gramatical errors I might have made, English isn't really my first language. xD)

Similar Threads:

you will also go though Marine Boot Camp where you will be a Pvt do not what rank they will give you when you get done with boot camp but when I was there we had a Army Sgt he came out as a PFC

Credits
    Savings
    Well, I'm not worried about the rank in terms of pay. You see, right now, I'm an E-3, even if I get dropped back down to E-1, I would still be getting payed more than I currently am. Bad economy is another reason for wanting to make this switch, in all actuality. Thanks for the quick reply too! ^_^

Sorry, no experience with your situation but good luck to you and let us know how it all works out for future reference.

Credits
    Savings
    Will do, Top. Just to keep everyone posted, I'm still working on receiving the paperwork for my Conditional Release. I heard it's a process that takes quite some time, but I'm hoping that they'll give me information on Saturday on my Drill, hopefully before that. I'm really hoping for it to get approved.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Manny,

Grab a snickers, the process is going to be a long one. Be patient with the recruiter, we really dont like to do prior service because they are time consuming and a pain in the a$$. You will be an E-2 right out of boot camp.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, Rocky and Huklebuk!
    It's good to know that I'll be E-2 out of Boot Camp, I thought I was going to have to wait until I finished the technical phase. Also, the Marine recruiter I spoke to said that the only headache I was going to have (for now) was just getting released from my unit. I will do my best not to slow down my recruiter too. xD

Credits
    Savings
    Also, excuse the double post, but I saw on another thread that as soon as I finish all of my paperwork, I'd be on the next bus to Boot Camp. So, is that really what's going to happen? If so, I'd be happy beyond belief. xD

I'm still studying though, so that'd suck, but still! I'd be able to leave much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by MrManny View Post
    Also, excuse the double post, but I saw on another thread that as soon as I finish all of my paperwork, I'd be on the next bus to Boot Camp. So, is that really what's going to happen? If so, I'd be happy beyond belief. xD

I'm still studying though, so that'd suck, but still! I'd be able to leave much faster.
    They take buses from Puerto Rico to South Carolina? Interesting.

Yes. They are new top secret sub buses, Top. I would tell you the model but that is G14 classified, and I'm pretty sure your clearance has expired...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    They take buses from Puerto Rico to South Carolina? Interesting.
    I thought everyone knew that, top. xD
    Anyway, to restate that question, I meant: "Would I leave as soon as they find an open slot for Boot?"
    There we go.

Yes. You are a direct shipper. Ship day is Monday, so if hypothetically you enlist on a thursday, you would leave the next Monday.

Credits
    Savings
    Roger that, then! It's good to know that. Hopefully I'll have everything ready by March. I'll continue to keep everyone posted on my status.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thread Information