Anybody There?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody There?

Question Anybody There?

Besides a recruiter who can I talk to about my decision on joining the Marines? I have several friends in the Marines but I cant really talk to them much because they're deployed, I cant talk to my friends in the Army because they're all going through EOD school and the times I have talked to a recruiter I feel like hes just pressuring me to sign papers. Is there anyone on here that can listen to all the stuff I have to say and give me some solid advise? Is there a specific thread I overlooked?

I guess some background. Im 19, a sophomore at Blinn in College Station studying Mechanical Engineering. 6'3" 256lbs. Been looking into becoming a Combat Engineer. And I know I'll have to lose weight if I want to join the Marines but I'm working on that anyways.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-03-13 at 09:09 AM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    that's what we're here for....

what is your question(s)??

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm surprised the recruiter didn't give you the answers you were looking for as that is thier job, to answer your questions and get you to enlist if you are a good solid candidate.

Ask Away...what good solid advice are you looking for so we can try and help you ?

Would it be more reasonable to finish college first and then enlist or maybe join the Marine Reserves. Or should i simply finish this semester and join?

Does being in the Military impede having a family because its something thats really important to me.

I've been looking into what MOS I would like to join if I've come across MOS 1371 Combat Engineer. I've read a lot about what they do and its really made me think seriously about joining, I like the hard work, and building, and learning about explosives. But how likely is it that I'll get attached to a unit? I turn my back to going into combat, I would almost rather it but I want to be sure I'm learning something that could help me get a job when I get out. Also would having a degree in Mechanical Engineering help me in this MOS?

In the event that I get attached to a unit is it possible to request getting transferred to a buddies unit?

I understand that if I do have a degree I can apply to enter the Marines as an Officer? But how often is an officer sent out in the field? I dont want to get stuck behind a desk or back on base 24/7.

And as far as my friends go, most of them really enjoy being in the Military, but a few of them often talk about how they hate it. How can you really be sure its right for you?

I know its a lot to ask but thank you in advance.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-03-13 at 02:00 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1371/engineer is an awesome MOS, you could go to an airwing unit or a ground unit either with division or logistics. The job you'd do with each of these will vary ALOT!!
    The chances of you going on a combat deployment are VERY SMALL unless we get into a new ground campaign somewhere which I don't see happening. A mechanical engineer degree while it wont hurt won't really help at all, everything you need to know and learn will be taught to you by the Corps.

Transferring to a "buddies unit" isn't going to happen. You could end up going there by chance.

You don't apply and just enter the Corps as an officer, you have to be accepted to a commissioning program, then graduate from OCS in order to EARN a commission. And it's NOT easy. Depending on your MOS as an officer you will go to the field just about every time the Marines in your charge go to the field, that said your job as an officer is to take care of and train your Marines which involves alot of administrative duties which will involve you sitting behind a desk doing paperwork of some sort.

You can't be sure it's right for you until you're in. I'd be lying if I said it didn't suck at times but it is all what you make of it. If you cry, complain, and have a bad attitude about it....it will suck 100x worse than if you just push through the hard times with a smile on your face and laugh it off. Those few you are referring to that hate it are probably turds and their leaders dislike them because they cry, complain, and generally have a bad attitude like I mentioned before

I'll try to tackle a couple questions but first I'd say if you don't trust your recruiter then why bother with the USMC at all. You will have to establish some kind of relationship with your recruiter and, obviously, ask them a lot of important questions. This relationship can last months. If you feel pressured into signing a contract that is not a healthy relationship and one you should not pursue. If you do sign a contract you are not happy with you will begin your military career with a negative attitude that could affect your performance/experience. Anymore negative experiences will just compound the problem and before you know it you are a disgruntled Marine and a leadership problem for your command (one of those who just cry and complain all the time like mentioned above).

The majority of Marines do not reenlist after their first contract for a variety of reasons (some may actually want to but are not allowed to). Your perceptions of life in the fleet may or may not be realistic. You can't really be sure if the military is right for you until you live it 24/7. It's a gamble you would have to be willing to take. Good thing is, if it's not right for you then you can just let your contract expire and get out.

The divorce rate in the military is higher than the national average for obvious reasons (low pay and frequent long separations). The sea services (USN and USMC) have the highest divorce rates of all the services because to do our jobs, we have to be aboard ships or forward deployed (not sitting in some base stateside). My own marriage ended in divorce while was in Japan for 12 months and my ex was in CA. The USMC is a warfighting organization and our whole reason for being is to fight and win our nation's battles. My personal opinion is you do that better without a family (others will disagree).

Since you are currently enrolled in college, and as long as you can afford it, my recommendation is to stay in school and get your degree (if you elect to leave school early you may never have the opportunity to go back and finish).

My 2 cents:

1st cent: Finish college, finish college, finish college. It will give you more options if you do decide to join the Corps, more options if you join and later discharge, and more options if you don't join at all.

2nd cent: As already stated, military life is hard on marriage and family life and can be difficult even for the strongest and most solid couples. Always moving to a new duty station, deployment, being separated for long periods, getting shipped overseas, etc. A newly married couple that is unfamiliar with military life is probably already pre-destined for divorce, whereas an established couple that's already survived some trials and tribulations and is maybe even already a bit familiar with what military life is like stands a far greater chance of surviving.

A couple of naive kids who marry at 18 might as well invite some divorce attorneys to the wedding reception to start building a business relationship with them.

As the saying goes "If the Corps wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one".

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My best advice to you is stay in school and get your degree first.
    The " United States Marine Corps " will still be here when you are ready.

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GWhite79 View Post
    I turn my back to going into combat, I would almost rather it but I want to be sure I'm learning something that could help me get a job when I get out.
    Can you turn that statement into one that makes sense? Are you saying you're a concientious objector?

Combat engineers construct and destruct (demolitions) things. They do not figure out how things work like mechanical engineers do so your degree would not be a factor (although it would not hurt). In combat, combat engineer units are attached to infantry units for support. In many instances, they clear minefields and repair roads/bridges so the infantry can advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Can you turn that statement into one that makes sense? Are you saying you're a concientious objector?.
    It was pretty late when I typed that, I meant to say I would not turn my back to going into combat, but I want to be sure that I'm learning something that will benefit me in the long run.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-04-13 at 09:38 AM.

From what I've gathered from you guys ( Marines ) is that. Having a family while in the Marines is doable but will put some pretty heavy stress on your marriage that could result in it ending. And finishing college should be my main objective, but at some point in my life I do want to serve. What MOS could I go into after college (perhaps as an Officer) that would be in the same field or similar in any way as my degree? At the same time I really dont want to get stuck behind a desk. I cant really stress that enough. Another reason I thought about enlisting is that, I'm having to pretty much put myself through college with very little help from my parents and I've been adding up my debt and its beginning to be overwhelming.

As far as my recruiter goes, he wasnt pressuring me to sign in a really aggressive way or anything he just seemed overwhelmed and like he was trying to move things along quickly. Which is understandable.

Last edited by Rocky C; 10-04-13 at 09:41 AM.

Well...
    The advice provided so far has been quite thorough.

IMO....
    You're only 19 so if you're serious about earning The Title I would underscore do not get married or impregnate your significant other.
    That could easily lead to emotional and fiscal disaster for your potential USMC future.
    As stated above, if the USMC wanted you to have a wife they'd issue you one.

A real concern I see is that you've racked a lot of college ("overwhelming" as you put it) debt already so note that military pay is not that much.

You should really think all this through as you will be 22 or so when your graduate college.

Good luck....carry on.

If I may offer an opinion?

Firstly, and foremost, YOU need to drive the boat here. If you are feeling pressured to sign something, than chance are real good that there is something not right. On that note, you should be pressuring your recruiter to answer "every single question" you can come up with, that's their job as my brothers have stated here before me.
    Secondly, and most likely the case. Officers (college-grads) have better pay and typically make a career out of my beloved Corps, whereas (as mentioned before) enlisted men do a single hitch and move on.
    Finally, I would add that although military lifestyles are not for everyone, I've personally witnessed several of my brothers who actually later married their divorce laywers, but I also have a couple of brothers who are celebrating their 25 year anniversaries. The thing when involving a (sig other) wife/girlfriend, is that have you asked them what they think about raising your children with you off on deployment for years at a time?? If you are serious about earning my precious EGA and serious about this relationship, make the decision together. Otherwise, I've got a good divorce attorney's phone number right here in speed dial.

My two cents. Thank you for thinking about serving this nation as one of her finest and thanks to all my brothers and sisters who wear the EGA for keeping us safe.

To be fair, although my own marriage did not make it, I have several career Marine friends whose did. I have all the respect in the world for their spouses who did what they had to do to keep the family together. It can be done - the odds happen to be against it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Same here Top...

Thread Information