A LEADER'S LEADER - Chief DI brings experience to drill field, mentors juniors
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20031215135051
Story by Sgt. L. F. Langston

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(December 12, 2003) -- Knowledge is power, and with age comes wisdom. Only through experience can one find success on the drill field. One six-foot-three-inch Marine carries 19 years of familiarity and know-how under his campaign cover.

Gunnery Sgt. Ruben Prentiss, series gunnery sergeant, Company K, has become a source of insight and advice to his junior drill instructors.

A Chicago native, Prentiss enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1985 and attended recruit training here. Upon graduation, Prentiss made his decision to one day come back and become a drill instructor.

Prentiss said he thought it would be awesome to be a drill instructor. They were squared away and motivated.

Prentiss made it to the drill field in April 1996. He trained many platoons during his tour, serving as a senior drill instructor for two of those cycles. Two of his platoons were selected as honor platoons.

Prentiss recalled his first cycle, during which he was schooled by a veteran drill instructor.

"He was an outstanding drill instructor," Prentiss said. "He had me do everything, and that is how I learned. My first experience as a drill instructor was non-stop."

Taking counsel from senior Marines was a stepping-stone for Prentiss' own leadership skills.

One of those senior Marines was Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent, who according to Prentiss, was a source of inspiration for him.

"He would bring me into his office and tell me what he expected of me, and I knew it was out of genuine concern," Prentiss said.

When Prentiss' first tour aboard the Depot neared its end, Kent pulled him into his office to give him some parting advice to take back to the fleet Marine forces.

"He told me to stay motivated and continue to be a hard charger. Most importantly, he said not to change a thing in my leadership style," said Prentiss.

Prentiss left the drill field and landed at Marine Forces Reserve, New Orleans as supply chief. His affinity for leadership shone through there just as it did on the drill field. He became the commanding officer for the Young Marines program as well as a leader at Corporal's Course.

It wouldn't be long before Prentiss' love of the drill field would lead him back to the place where he began his Marine Corps career. He returned for a second tour here July 2002.

"I came back for the love of recruit training. I wanted to see if I could make a positive change," Prentiss said. "It's a great honor to make Marines."

Prentiss has found himself taking on a different role during his second tour here. He now finds himself guiding and leading drill instructors.

"My philosophy on leadership is to lead from the front and be fair," he said.

According to the men who work with him, Prentiss has earned a great deal of respect since taking on the responsibilities of chief drill instructor and company first sergeant in Co. K. His drill instructors respond well and gravitate to him.

"His best quality is his fairness," said Sgt. Dan A. Liesik, drill instructor, Platoon 3038, Co. K. "He's more than willing to listen to junior drill instructor's suggestions."

Prentiss' philosophy and leadership style has served Co. K well, according to Capt. Jackson Doan, series commander, series 3037, Co. K.

"He's straight forward and there's no room for interpretation to what he asks and demands of you," said Doan.

Prentiss said he always strives to lead by example and maintain a mutual respect with his drill instructors. His 225-pound frame alone can be intimidating, but he relies on what he believes in.

"They know I'm a straight shooter. I never put myself on a pedestal and they appreciate that," said Prentiss.

According to his drill instructors, they expect their chief drill instructor to be demanding, but seldom do they expect to have their voices carry so much weight.

"He helped me through a difficult time in my life, and he wasn't biased when he gave me advice," said Staff Sgt. Cortez L. Brown, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3033. "He's a no-nonsense leader."

Honest, dependable and a good judge of character are just a few qualities to sum up Prentiss, according to Brown.

"I have gained leadership skills and become more of a professional, and the camaraderie I've found here on the Depot doesn't compare," said Prentiss.

Today, Prentiss finds himself giving back to the duty station that brought him his greatest satisfaction. He aspires to earn the rank of first sergeant soon and eventually become a sergeant major. In the meantime, he's going with the day-to-day grind and making every effort to infect all the drill instructors under his charge with his motivation, drive and strong sense of leadership.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...file/di_lr.jpg

Gunnery Sgt. Ruben Prentiss, series gunnery sergeant, Company K, returned to Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego for his second tour on the drill field. Photo by: Sgt. L. F. Langston

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...F?opendocument

The Drifter