Page 73 of 97 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1450
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MCRD/PISC
    1st Batt.
    Plt. 121
    Only DI I can recall is Staff Sgt. Payne, and believe me he was.

Parris Island, NC
    3rd Battallion
    L Company
    Platoon 3065
    Senior Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Deforge
    Sergeant Rattray, Sergeant Fox, And Sergeant Garrete

Replying to an old Post, you said one of your D.I.'s was Chapman, did he wear glasses and was kinda short, also I think he had been in Recon ? If so he was also my D.I. in 1972. Later after bootcamp ran into him in Quantico he was taking the Staff NCO Academy course. Not a bad guy outside bootcamp.

MCRD San Diego
    Platoon 1110
    Graduated Nov 30, 1972
    DI Chapman
    DI Nichols
    DI Settles
    DI Pinkney
    SDI Samson

Several other DI's
    rotated in and out during Training.

Quote Originally Posted by LcplMike View Post
    San Diego MCRD: 23July1957 - 25Oct1957
    2nd Recruit Trng Bn - Platoon 281

Senior DI: S/Sgt Hollingsworth (Hollingshead?)
    Assist DI: Sgt Tygart (Phonetic)

South/West corner of the "Grinder," south of mess hall
    Quonset hut near wash racks.

Once, always...
    Semper Fi!
    I was also in platoon 281 in 1957. Just joined this web site yesterday and surprised to see a message from someone from our old platoon. Have you kept in contact with any of them? The senior drill instructor's name was SSgt. Hollinshead. Haven't used this site before, so not sure how all this works.

Quote Originally Posted by LcplMike View Post
    San Diego MCRD: 23July1957 - 25Oct1957
    2nd Recruit Trng Bn - Platoon 281

Senior DI: S/Sgt Hollingsworth (Hollingshead?)
    Assist DI: Sgt Tygart (Phonetic)

South/West corner of the "Grinder," south of mess hall
    Quonset hut near wash racks.

Once, always...
    Semper Fi!
    I was also in platoon 281 in 1957. I just joined this site yesterday and was surprised to see a message from someone from our old boot platoon. Our senior drill instructor's name was SSGT Hollinshead. Have you kept in contact with any of the other people in platoon 281? Not sure how this site works, so hope you get this message.

MCRD, Parris Island S.C. I graduated on Oct.23rd 1959. My platoon # was 13A, my Senior DI was GySgt M.A. Sabourin, next in line was Sgt. C.Lucas, Cpl. E.M.Gonzales, and the only male we ever saw on the Island was SSgt.P.J.Smith. We also saw male recruits who worked in the mess hall. Once a Marine, Always a Marine Semper Fi
    Sheila Hays

MCRD Parris Island
    2nd Bat H Co Plt 2072
    27 Aug 1993

Senior DI Sgt Lancour

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    MCRD PISC - 1960 PLT 266
    ITR -Camp Geiger NC

MCRD San Diego

Grad last of 73 - 26 Jan 1972 - Plt 3333 (the special platoon)
    BN Cmdr LtCol D A Wagner
    SgtMaj E R Kubow
    Capt R E Appleton
    1st Lt Mrachek
    GySgt J P Corralez
    Plt Cmdr SSgt A McClymonds
    DI SSgt A M Holmes
    DI Sgt J B Nally
    DI Sgt F Gregorie
    ALL DI's PROMOTED AT GRADUATION - It took three platoons (1110, 2010 & 3333) and two days in corrections PLt to make it, but I learned more than I could have ever thought.

I was a DI in 2nd Bn from 71 - 74 do you remember your DI's names while in that 2010. Sorry I can't remember what all my PLt numbers were

Sorry, wish I could. I must confess, after five concussions, the only way I can be sure of the previous facts is because I still have my scap books, a few pictures and record books. As it is, I have already been corrected as I was just going through my boot camp records. Apparently I graduted with platoon 3120 NOT 3333. I was only in the 1st and 2nd for a few days each. High school drop out and trouble maker, I almost didn't make it at all.

Credits
    Savings

P.I. or Diego ?

Quote Originally Posted by xjintx View Post
    I was a DI in 2nd Bn from 71 - 74 do you remember your DI's names while in that 2010. Sorry I can't remember what all my PLt numbers were
    Where were you a D.I. at ? P.I. Or Diego ? Just curious ! I looked up your profile, that answered my Question ! P.I. did you ever run into a Sgt Kay or sgt T. Fagan ? in 2nd bn.

Credits
    Savings

Question Questions

Quote Originally Posted by xjintx View Post
    You were 2nd bn at P.I., When you graduated a plt how long before you would get another plt ? the reason I ask is I graduated Oct30,1968 and I have checked a data base to see if my former D.I.s had another plt after or before mine ? Not one within a year in either direction past or future in either 1st bn 2nd bn or 3rd bn at the island. How were you assigned platoons ? Once you were in 2nd bn you stayed there ? right ? so going to another bn was out of the question ? Moz 69-70 USMC P.S. who were YOUR D.I.s

Viet Nam was still going strong so we were pushing a lot of PLts through. We usually had a new gang before graduateing one... double duty for a week or so. The gradtuating gang was on auto pilot anyway by that time.

I do remember getting 2 weeks off once... we were getting ready to push a DAB (Diffieiency Apptitude Board) platoon. All these guys were dropped from other plts and bns for various reasons... thought to be unfit but we needed bodies. That Plt was a challenge... we had 4 DI's and we were all very experienced.

If you did not see your DI in later Plt's maybe he was relieved for various reasons or went to classroom trainer or even receiving? Not a lot of us completed our tours... I think I was one of 9 that did out of a class of like 70.

Thread Information