Are you older than dirt? - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    I just remembered these things my mom used to use when hanging up the laundered
    trousers.This metal frame that was used inside the legs, and stretched to create a crease front and back, and you could even brush on the starch, (no spray cans for starch). She didn't have to iron them. Haven't seen them since.

Sempi

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I remember mothers ironing on those big sguare pads on the knees of your blue jeans, to keep down wear and tear. A lot of boys also had taps put on the heels of their shoes. Sure made a lot of racket walking down the halls at school.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Once, when I was growing up, we had a Nash. Don't remember to much about it except it was big as hell. Remined me of a tank. You could put the seats down in it and it was as big as a Queen sized bed inside.

Any body remember bean shooters?

I guess I'm older than dirt. I remember all those things. I remember when we got our first TV in 1950 it had a 9" screen before that we all sat around the radio. The radio was about four foot high and three foot wide.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    Once again, thanks to Tony (HST) for starting this thread, which is already a classic in its own right. He's started a few other great threads. Good job, Tony---this one will be going ten years from now.

And to Rocky for moving it here from Slop Shute. For every person that goes into the Slop Shute, there are 20 who go here in Open Squad Bay.
    And making it a sticky right away, another good decision.
    That was your Idea to move it Dave. Tony said yes Rocky and I just made it happen. Great minds

Anyone remember the Hudson and Studabaker

Remember the gas price wars and gas actually sold for 10 cents a gallon or less

USMC1963,
    Oh, yes, I remember the canvas water bags. Remember, one trip, in a 1946 Hudson. Suicide doors, big back seat with a big arm rest that you could pull out of the back rest. This car had an analog clock built into the glove box door, big white wall tires, and had electronic overdrive. One summer my dad bought this air conditioner, for installing in the top part of the passenger window. Big round cylinder mounted in the window. Did cool the air, but not much.
    I learned later, to never cross that Mojave Desert during the day. Hope I don't offend anyone here, but Barstow still seems like the armpit of CA. Never could get through that town fast enough. They put a Marine Base there, didn't they? I rest my case.

Sempi

Last edited by sempidr; 02-08-13 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Misspelled Mohave. Don't want to get in more trouble.

Never see this today. We used to take a 5 cent bag of salty peanuts, poured into the top of a cold 16oz Coca Cola, (real glass bottle). That was lunch, more than a few times.
    Guess I should try this again, but I have feeling it just wouldn't be the same.

S-

You used to be able to go to the store and buy beer in quart bottles.

Picking cotton was the most back breaking job I ever took as a kid. Cutting grapes was just about as bad. Always carried a canteen full of water so when you stuck your hand up in the vine to cut the grapes when the wasps started stinging you, then you made mud and spreat it on the stings and kept on cutting the grapes. Machines do it all now.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1963 View Post
    I remember those quart bottles, Willie, right up to (at least) 1962 or so.
    Those things were tough in a chugging contest.

You guys remember "Baby Schlitz"???

S-

Every once in a while, someone would turn and shout to the bartender, "Little Joe," not the bartender's name but a 7-ounce Schlitz, sometimes also called a "shortie."
    There were longnecks then too, but Little Joe seemed the preference. There was an ad campaign, "Get To Know Little Joe." The name was a salute to Joseph Schlitz, who founded the Milwaukee brewery in the 1800s.
    These were bottles, by the way, rather than cans, and were opened with a bottle opener irreverently called a "church key."
    Later, with the popularity of cans, the opposite end of the "key" often was shaped like a beak for use as a can opener. (No, Muffy, cans did not always have pop tops.)

A simpler time

Sempi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am enjoying reading all these comments. I remember most of them and some more. Had a hard day at work today and its relaxing to sit down and read these. One sad thing is that we all enjoyed the Good Old Days and youngens today doin't have anything to look forward to. Glad I had those good years. Semper Fi Buddy

Thread Information