Question on carrying religious object at all times?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question on carrying religious object at all times?

Hello to all!!

I am an 18 year old male whose dream is to be a Marine. I have my high school diploma, I am ready to go. I already spoke to the recruiter as well. I am just spending these few months to be with my mother until February which is my birthday. Then I will ship off hopefully. Now, the question. I am a catholic but my mother is very spiritual and believing in fortune telling and so on. So, I went to a spiritual doctor (he was very accurate and correct about everything he said to the t, no lie) and he told me at the end of the session, "If you do not carry around this object in your pocket at all times you WILL die". Not randomly of course but that I would die from guns, as in friendly fire, discharge of a weapon, like accidents but with guns, and so on. This does not only pertain to warfare but daily life as well. If I do carry it, i will be 100 percent fine and nothing to worry about. To put my mother at ease I carry it around. Its as long as a double A battery and just as wide, its a cotton bag and the object is inside. Will that be a problem in the Marines? It is in fact a religious object so I believe it shouldn't but please tell me. Thank you.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 12-21-12 at 10:16 PM.

Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.
    DO NOT start another thread on the same topic.

Profile complete...thread re-opened.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't count on being allowed to keep that item, let alone carry it during boot camp. Just because you think it a "religious object" doesn't make it so. You'll probably have to take the risk of getting shot just like every other Recruit (extremely low). After boot camp, you can carry it to your heart's content unless it creates an unsightly bulge in your pocket.

This smacks of voodoo or Santeria to me anyway.

Marines don't put their hands or any other objects in their trouser pockets. You can stuff it in the tops of your socks.

VincentV,

Unfortanently you will not be able to carry this religious piece all the time in boot camp. I mean, I don't see why you can't keep it in your money valuable bag. There will be a lot of times in boot camp were there will be high chances of this piece falling out. I mean you won't be able to do your swim quals with 1 hand grasping this object and the other trying to swim.. Bottom line, You will literally not be able to hold on to this religious item at all. So I suggest you say an extra couple of prays before you leave for boot camp and leave the object at home. Your joining the Marines anyways, your're signing up for danger.

I suggest you take these next 2 months or so and enjoy yourself, because once you join everything changes.

Good luck future devildog,
    Lcpl Lehr

The only fashion statement allowed in boot camp are your dog tags! In combat you can hang rabbit feet, crosses, X's, and what not...but I wouldn't recommend anything shiny. Tends to attract heavy metal, i.e., copper and lead.

Sorry to say but in Boot Camp your going to die

I wouldnt have it in boot just like everyone else said, but knock yourself out in the fleet. Just put it in your trouser pocket.

Only religious item I ever remember in boot camp was a small cross on a chain like what your dog tags was on I think they sold me at the px or the Chaplin gave me out can't remember as far as taking it with you it will be stored with your clothes ect in a bag in a warehouse until you graduate then you will get it back

Thread Information