Army Medal help
Closed Thread

Thread: Army Medal help

Army Medal help

I know you Marines are Marines, but my Great uncle recently passed away. He is a WW2 army vet, and I didn't realize he had the medals he has. Was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the small silver star in this picture is, near the center. Been looking online and can't find anything that looks like it, as a silver star appears to be a small silver star inside of a bronze or something. Hard to explain. Uncle Bob.jpgHis name is Robert Ludeman. Haven't been successful finding any info about him for the most part. Thanks for your help, and if I put this in the wrong spot, I apologize.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Moved to " Ask a Marine " Section.

Last edited by Rocky C; 11-28-12 at 04:03 PM.

Are you sure it is a star? Any imprint on it? The only thing I found was a Japanese army insignia if you turn it around. If I am not mistaken, he served in the Pacific and it could be a souvenir rather than an award.

Never saw that. Might keep looking...has me curious.

I was not at the funeral so I have no idea if its imprinted. Unfortunately I had to work. My mother sent me the picture above. I'm open to it being anything as I have zero clue. I've been looking and looking and no idea. My dad (army vet) has also been looking. Ill check into the Japanese insignia once I'm off work. Thank you sir. If anyone else has any idea please feel free to share.

Oh and my mother did day she believes he served in the pacific. Not 100% sure as he did NOT talk about his experiences. Hence why I didn't even know he had these medals. The bronze star alone is a heck of an award. I am also interested in what everything else is, but I am confident I can figure those out with research. That little silver thing is just intriguing though.

The Army uses stars galore. They have them in over 90 designations, mostly patches, but some not. Some medals have stars in the center that are removable or fall out. Who knows, maybe it is a BGen star??

The badge at the top with the metal wreath and rifle is a Combat Infantry Badge. I notice that the star you are asking about is off centered. In other words, your uncle mounted everything in this display fairly precisely, but then there is that star, sort of by itself and it is not even pointed up but off center.

A Second Award Combat Infantry Badge has a star that looks a whole lot like the one randomly placed in your display. Could it be that it belongs on that badge and broke off?

Go to his link and you will see what I am talking about.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Un...fantryman.aspx

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was thinking the same thing MOS.

Since they are in a picture frame instead of a display case it could have gotten bumbed around all these years and it broke off and got stuck right where it is.

Nice work....

Would be fairly easy to figure out, Rocky. At the top of the wreath, it should fit nicely back in, but if not...got me. The Army likes stars!

That would seem logical that it belongs on that award and broke off. Hmm. I wish I could see if it fits but he was buried with the awards. I too thought of the BGen star, but my dad insists no. Thanks for your help.

Well, there you have it. The mystery will never be solved! Or it just was.

The star fell of the Combat Infantry badge for HIS second award.

b1_1897.jpg

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes it did !!!
    Mystery solved.

Sherlock Holmes would have been proud of us .

Case solved.
    Thread closed.

Thread Information