Marine Field Artillery
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine Field Artillery

What's field artillery like, from experience? Are you digging holes, going on patrols, or are you actually using the howtizers? Some people told me all they did was dig holes for four years, and some people said it's very back-breaking work... I'm interested in the MOS.

Is it similar to infantry? I heard they go on patrols and do trainings with infantry when they're not with the howitzers.

Thank you,
    Happy Thanskgiving

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    I am looking for people with experiences with the MOS, I've read most of the information about the MOS, I just really want the true facts, if any, of how great or how bad it is, and how it effects you today.... thank you!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Artillery while obviously still in existence has become somewhat obsolete. The arty guys we worked around didn't do much but fire illumination round for night missions and more of a show of force/presence of force type thing. The arty guys I saw, while they worked/lived at small infantry patrol bases and fire bases, never went out on patrol or anything like that. That is not to say it couldn't happen.

Quite a bit of the actual fire missions that would typically get tasked out to an arty unit somewhere have now gone to HIMARS(High Mobility Artillery Rocket System). Much more accurate and lethal, without the collateral damage.

arty is no joke. if you're not capable of doing hard labor pretty much all the time dont put this down as your choice of MOS. I am only in the reserves but go out to the field all the time. for example i was just at ft Brag for awhile shooting with my regiment 14th Marines, and 10th Marines (an active duty regiment). the 10th Marines were out there in the field for a month, for my battery we were only there for a week and a half, and that wasnt even my AT. point being this is a field MOS. Yes you dig a lot. you have to its part of your battery defense since we are pretty much on our own when we deploy. youl dig many fighting holes, 50 cal pits, etc. my unit has deployed to iraq 2 times. those 2 times they went, they were asigned as a provisional rifle platoon. so they left the howitzers at home and did patrols, check points, convoys etc. they didnt go on the offensive or anything like grunts do but il just say my unit has a lot of combat experienced Marines in it for a reserve battery. its all in the needs of the Marine Corps mostly we trainin on our m777a2 (the howitzer we currently use), but if we are not training on them we are doing MOUT training, ied training, convoy training, patrols all that good stuff. last question you ask is it similiar to infantry, well im not a grunt but i do know more grunts then gun rocks and we go through the similiar bull **** as combat MOSes. i cant call myself a grunt just like they cant call themselves a gun rock, so there is pride in both MOSes, which both i would say have a pretty good amount of respect for each other even though we are POGS haha.

I served in the same unit as "gun rock" but 30yrs ago. The unit was still in Reading and we fired 105 mm guns. I worked the gun line at first but soon found a home as a Forward Observer for "I" btry. I prefered being able to free lance some and while the btry was doing the training thing breaking down and moving the gun line we did our own thing. Out on our own for the most part when we were in the field.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all,

What do you think artillery will be like in 2014, during peace-time Marines?

And does it require relative knowledge of geometry and mathematics? I was never good at geometry, because I never studied for it :/, I regret it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xkniives View Post
    Thank you all,

What do you think artillery will be like in 2014, during peace-time Marines?

And does it require relative knowledge of geometry and mathematics? I was never good at geometry, because I never studied for it :/, I regret it.
    hard to say...but probably lots of PT, field ops, training, standing in formations, suicide prevention classes, etc...what almost every other MOS does when not on deployment or on a work up.

I am sure knowledge of math ad geometry wouldn't hurt but no it is not required. Everything you'll need to know will be taught to you and beat into your head at MOS school

at Ft sill youl be battered down with arty knowlege. basic math is required, unless you are FDC (fire direction controll) they are pretty much the brains of artillery who do all the calculations and what not for the fire mission, or if you are a 0861 (forward observer) youl need to learn all the math codes and stuff.

Credits
    Savings
    Should I expect hearing problems, back problems, or any other problems doing this MOS? Do they supply hearing plugs?

And thanks for info on mathematics.

hearing problems yes you will if you dont wear your ear pro.
    back problems most likely in the future if you stick in arty for more then one contract.
    its a dangours job there are a lot of heavy moving objects, and things exploding so just gotta watch what you are doing and be safe everytime so ya dont lose a finger or arm, but that only happens to the Marines who are not paying attention.
    yes they supply ear plugs everytime you go out to the field and shoot its mandated for the coremen to do so

I spent 20 years as an artillery Marine. I was an 0848 and touched every aspect of artillery MOS's at some point. This work is brutal and mentally challenging. You must be good at basic math and quick as well. Before 2001 artillery was extremely physical work....not saying it isn't today....but the aspect changed. I spent a lot of time as a young Marine pulling crew serve weapon security and also on the firing charts. As I got older I eventually ran a firing battery FDC for 4 years.

Bottom line....I would not trade one day of it for nothing.

Don (1995-2015) 3/10, 2/10,AIB

My recruiter was a cannon cocker. When he looked at me, one eye was on me, and the other was pointing toward the bulkhead. Took awhile to get used to. Don't know if that was related to his MOS or not (he was a Vietnam vet).

Thread Information