Anyone lose family and friends like this? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Your right Marine 1011. I'm responsible for my own relationship with God. I guess I'll have to deal with not having family around. I know that I will make a new family in the Corps, thanks for your input.

Last edited by Rocky C; 09-27-12 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fixed, remember it !!!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsondeck View Post
    Can you explain that really quick?
    Marine 1011 said it pretty well

keeping in mind that religion is man's attempt to reach God, JWs believe adhering to their religion, namely the works of being a JW will get them to God.

What's the Bible say about that? All of our works are as filthy rags. Not by works of righteousness... We are saved by faith through Jesus Christ alone.

If you join the Marine Corps, will God disown you? The simple answer is no, but the more complete answer is, do you belong to Him in the first place? Are you saved? Have you placed your faith in Christ? If so, then God will not disown you for being a Marine. If you have not, then you do not belong to Him to begin with.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Marines Prayer

Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose and deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones, and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family.

Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my Country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold.

If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again.

Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer.

You should print this out and give it to Your Family and so called Friends...

That is such an honest and honorable prayer, one to memorize through training. Thanks again rocky.

I don't want to get into bashing religions - cause I think they are ALL are a waste of time. But the JW's -- they are a real piece of pooh. My step-father is a cop, and a JW - one day in the line of duty he was forced to shoot a kid who was coming at him and his partner with a car. Totally justified shooting, unfortunately the kid died. The JW church/witness hall completely shunned him, turned their back on him. Bunch of cowards. Hypocrites, ALL of them. Fires me up just thinking about that type of scum.

To the OP -- be a man, do what YOU want to do -- cause those who you think are behind you, just might leave you high and dry when it matters.

You won't find too many Marines that will.

Good luck.

I'm not going to get into the religious debate, because it seems like a hornets nest, and I frankly just don't care enough to weigh in. I'll address some of your other concerns though:

1) Two years after you graduate highschool you'll have a completely different set of friends, regardless of whether or not you join the military.

2) If your family will disown you for pursuing what is considered an otherwise very honorable profession, how committed is your family to your happiness? Besides, isn't there some passage about judging not?

3) There are a lot of young men and women who think their parents will disown them for joining the Marine Corps. Then they see the person their Marine has become, and they change their tunes.

4) Your Service Record Book (SRB) has a sheet called the Record of Emergency (RED). It's up to you what you want to list in your RED, and that inclused your Next of Kin (NOK). If your parents really do disown you, it's still your RED. You can list them despite it, and they'll still be notified should something happen to you. If you really don't want anyone notified, you can opt to leave your NOK blank.

Request permission to hijack the thread for just a minute.

I work at an academic medical center and keep a folder full of copies of The Marine's Prayer in my wall locker. Occasionally, we'll get an active duty or former Marine as an inpatient. I make it a point to pin a copy of the prayer on the corkboard in their room. Don't take credit for it and, most of the time, they have no idea how it got there but seem to appreciate it. It's a small thing but hope it makes them feel better in some way and reinforces the slogan "once a Marine always a Marine".

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What a wonderful thing to do Top !!!

Semper Fi Brother,
    Rocky

Thank you Rocky!

Most of the time, they're ID'd by a tattoo or the family may bring some pics in and pin on the board.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Can't stand it; Marine (as in USMC) is ALWAYS capitalized; learn it, do it, remember it! I don't care if you capitalize JW or not!

Quote Originally Posted by DWG View Post
    Can't stand it; Marine (as in USMC) is ALWAYS capitalized; learn it, do it, remember it! I don't care if you capitalize JW or not!
    Aye Sir!

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsondeck View Post
    Aye Sir!
    And capitalize God, too!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wasn't there some famous Marine that was a Quaker or a Shaker or something like that; some super anti-war sect?

Oh yeah, SMEDLEY BUTLER!!!

He seemed to overcome the shame of his family.

I'll look him up. Took the day off from work to talk to a recruiter since I couldn't like I wanted to yesterday.

How did it go?

Thread Information