Anyone lose family and friends like this?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone lose family and friends like this?

Hi, my names Andres, I'm 22 and I have been thinking of joining the Marines since I graduated high school.

The reason I haven't joined is a big one in my opinion. My family will disown me. And I will lose all my friends. The reason for this is because of their religious beliefs. They remain neutral when it comes to war and have taught me since a young age that the military is forbidden for me to join. And that god will kill me for doing so. However I feel like I was meant for it, especially the Marine Corps.

I saw in some of the documentaries that you have to call a next of kin when you arrive at training, but I would have no family to call. I would also lose all my friends because they share the same faith as my family.

I know that this would be a huge sacrifice to join the marines, but I feel like I will only be myself, and do what i was born to do by enlisting.

If anyone has any advice on how to deal with this it would be greatly appreciate.
    (Ps, a recruiter coming to my house would mean me being homeless and danger to his safety)
    (Pss I wanna be an EOD tech, but I know you can't just enlist as one, and advice on a path to EOD would be great)
    Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Curious as to what Religion or faith that would be ? and some one is going to ask you to fill out your profile better ?

Jehovah's Witness. I was born and raised one, but being a Marine is what I feel I was meant to do. I'll work on my profile lol.

Andres, as stated previously you must fill out your profile according to the site rules before someone will help you.

This thread is closed until you do -- PM a squad leader, Mod, or Admin to re-open this once you have done that.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed.
    Thread re-opened.

Thank you Rocky.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You are most welcome and I hope you find the answers you seek.
    Welcome to the Forum.

Credits
    Savings
    Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added onto you (paraphrased)

There lies the answer to your Question.

Can you explain that really quick?

Which is your #1 priority:

Your religion?

Your family/friends?

Being a Marine/following your destiny?

You are an adult living in a free country. Grow a pair. Make a choice (we cannot make it for you). Be prepared to live with the consequences either way (don't look back). If you decide to enlist, go see a recruiter ASAP (they do not have to visit your family). The USMC is a young man's game and your clock is ticking. Understand you are joining to go kill people (most likely Muslims for the foreseeable future). Combat Engineers (EOD) serve on the front lines alongside the infantry and occasionally blow people up. If there is a possibility you may become a concientous objector down the road don't embarrass yourself and waste people's time.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.

Side note: my ex was a Jehova's Witness but she was kicked out of the congregation when she left me for Jody. Holidays and birthdays were great...no gifts!

My priority is gonna be following my destiny, your right, I need to grow a pair. I'm not asking for anyone to make the choice for me, just wanna know if anyone knows how to deal with sacrificing family ties.

Anyways I guess it's off to the recruiters office tomorrow.

my brother is Jehovah's Witness, we go round and round about that, he was a Marine before he became one, but and i don't know how to put this nicely, if your family wil disown you for joining, then they are not all that and a bag of chips and would come acrossed as hypacriticle, from what i have learned from my brother that is,,they can kick you out of the assembly but should not kick you out of the family....IMO you would alwasy be welcome at my house,, my Daughter is stationed at 29 palms now, and all Marines are always welcome here,, family have to make reservations...lol

Lol, maybe I'll take ya up on that offer. I have a few friend who were marines then became JW's, but left cuz they saw the marines as a real brotherhood. They all fought in Vietnam. So hearing their stories growing up gave me the desire to serve.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I think you are also over thinking this and exaggerating it just a bit. I can understand your family not approving of wanting to join and it also being against your religion, but I don't see your parents/family disowning you. They are human and you are their flesh and blood, they will care about you no matter what you do or where you may go.

As for friends.....who cares?...you can and will make new ones in the Corps that will be better than any other long time friends you may have had before.

Ultimately this is your decision and your decision alone. You can't make decisions about your life based on what others may think of you.

And for the EOD thing....why don't you enlist first, get a few years under your belt, become an NCO, and then you can decide where to go from there.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    boot, you say you family and friends would disown you for joining. Okay. got that.

So all JWs disown you. got that too.

keeping in mind that religion is man's attempt to reach God, JWs believe adhering to their religion, namely the works of being a JW will get them to God.

What's the Bible say about that? All of our works are as filthy rags. Not by works of righteousness... We are saved by faith through Jesus Christ alone.

If you join the Marine Corps, will God disown you? The simple answer is no, but the more complete answer is, do you belong to Him in the first place? Are you saved? Have you placed your faith in Christ? If so, then God will not disown you for being a Marine. If you have not, then you do not belong to Him to begin with.

Thread Information