A few questions about Recruit Training
Create Post

A few questions about Recruit Training

I have a few questions about Recruit Training in San Diego.

1. How often do you run during the 13 weeks?

2. When you run what is the pace?

3. Do the DI's maintain their intensity until the end of the crucible? Or do they pull back after Phase 1. Obviously they don't sit there and baby you, but i didnt know if they stay in your face 24/7 for the 13 weeks.

Thanks

A.Frey

Quote Originally Posted by Afrey View Post

3. Do the DI's maintain their intensity until the end of the crucible? Or do they pull back after Phase 1. Obviously they don't sit there and baby you, but i didnt know if they stay in your face 24/7 for the 13 weeks.

Thanks

A.Frey
    I'm sure the younger Marines, or those who went more recently than me can drill into it a bit more. But my two cents:

1) We didn't run as much as I thought we would have, organized runs; however - we ran everywhere we went. Or marched, but it usually ended up being a run once we got off the "beaten path." Direct answer -- Maybe two or three times a a week

2) The pace is average, due to the amount of slackers you have in the rear. They don't like to have you stretched out in a big gaggle fock. So they keep it slow and tight. Slow is relative, though.

3) I didn't do the crucible, it was before my time. But I read on the Internet that the DI's take more of a fatherly role to recruits once the crucible gets going. As far as the first three phases -- they were in our faces 24/7. There was no let down, or wind down, or anything that resembled that. You have not earned that until you earn it. They might wind down at, or towards the end of the crucible,, but don't expect a rose garden.

I will add, all the guys in our platoon had a swig of E&J the night before bootcamp graduation with our DI's. They strolled in after family night and woke us up for a drink, that was awesome. Not many Marines can say that.....

Good luck.

Last edited by thewookie; 06-29-12 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrey View Post

Thanks

A.Frey
    1.) You really don't run as much as you think. If I remember correctly the first time you run is about your 2nd week there and you do a IST to weed out the recruits that somehow got in being under par. After that most of the PT you do is Circuit courses and you run to each one. And when you do run it is usually around I'd like to say a quarter mile track around the circuit course. But really don't worry about running, if you aren't a good runner you will be motivated (or scared) enough to get by. But DO NOT go into it just getting by and doing the bare min... shoot to be the best runner / pt stud you can.

2. I would say the pace is around a 7:30 to 8 minute mile pace.

3. All depends what DI's you get. You get the ones that are ass holes all the way to graduation and the ones that kinda ease off at the crucibles. It all depends on who you get... all the matters is you can't get butt hurt if their attitudes towards you don't change at all. After all you haven't earned the title yet so you don't really deserve any respect until you finish the crucible..

** Just noticed my profile isn't complete fixing that right now**

1) PT Runs not often. But you will run/and drill everywhere you go. 2) Pace while running- Fast. DIs are going to try to break you off its their jobs. When it comes to individual runs its your own pace IST PFT and other runs while at the depot. The moto run was about an 8 minute pace. 3) DIs maintain intensity. There are different DIs with different roles so one might show you a "softer" side. When I went through we had to had these discussions about morals and values, our DI would sit down and take off his cover. Right then we would "flip the light switch" and he would be normal the moment the class was over and the cover went back on his head it was game on. Just depends on what type of Marine he is. They mentor but are strict.

If youd like to really know the schedule go to the MCRD site. It has a training matrix and the whole cycle is structured off it. You do a IST, 2 PFTs/CFTs, a 1.5 platoon run then a 2/2.5/3 mile endurance runs. You will not be able to fall back past the chief DI/1stSgt/COs in the rear because they will push you through it or end up in the safety vehicle with a failure to perform citation waiting for you. I suck at running but when I constantly run to improve. Get up to 3 miles and the IST will be a breeze.

The run pace is up to the DIs youre with....youll either be a rabbit/mid speed/turtle runner. They will run to give you a workout....regardless of how fast you are.

Once we became Marines are DIs didnt give us that recruit attitude. We couldnt do what we wanted to do but we were treated better then recruits and youll appreciate it especially if you got messed with the cycle like me.

Thread Information