Junior in high school looking to enlist
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Junior in high school looking to enlist

Alright, so I am a junior in high school and I am considering enlisting in the Marine Corps. The only dilemma, or obstacle I would have to over come would be losing weight. I weigh about 285 and I need to be down to about 220 . I was invited to go to workouts with the recruiting office and I was wondering if it would be a good idea. I work out everyday however I only lift, and neglect cardio, I know that this is bad andni have full intent on changing this.

So would it be a good idea to go to pt sessions?

Thanks

Last edited by Rocky C; 11-13-12 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshrz View Post
    Alright, so I am a junior in high school and I am considering enlisting in the marine corps. The only dilemma, or obstacle I would have to over come would be losing weight. I weigh about 285 and I need to be down to about 220 . I was invited to go to workouts with the recruiting office and I was wondering if it would be a good idea. I work out everyday however I only lift, and neglect cardio, I know that this is bad andni have full intent on changing this.

Thanks
    It would be the BEST thing for you to do, given where you want to be.

Prior to getting answers, you will need to fill out a proper profile and read the site rules. You can find the rules in the Poolee and the Ask a Marine sections.

Marines here will be happy to answer your questions however we like to know who we are talking with first.

If you don't fill out your profile, your post will locked until it is done properly.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Prior to getting answers, you will need to fill out a proper profile and read the site rules. You can find the rules in the Poolee and the Ask a Marine sections.

Marines here will be happy to answer your questions however we like to know who we are talking with first.

If you don't fill out your profile, your post will locked until it is done properly.
    I believe everything is in order now. Sorry about that

Alright, so I am a junior in high school and I am considering enlisting in the marine corps. The only dilemma, or obstacle I would have to over come would be losing weight. I weigh about 285 and I need to be down to about 220 . I was invited to go to workouts with the recruiting office and I was wondering if it would be a good idea. I work out everyday however I only lift, and neglect cardio, I know that this is bad andni have full intent on changing this.

Thanks
    You should be running also,Good Luck,Semper Fidelis.

According to your profile, you're only 16 years old. You have plenty of time between now and when you turn 17 in July to drop the necessary weight and get the ball rolling with a recruiter. With your parents signature, you can enlist when you're 17, 18 on your own.
    There are quite a few topic on tips for weight loss here on Leatherneck, as well as doing a search on google.

So....for now, get good grades while you're still in school, don't get into any trouble, don't get any tattoos, and graduate high school with that high school diploma.

Keep us updated on your weight loss progress......and good luck to you!

(Clipped to relevant portions.) I am considering enlisting in the marine corps. The only dilemma, or obstacle I would have to over come would be losing weight.

I was invited to go to workouts with the recruiting office and I was wondering if it would be a good idea.

I work out everyday however I only lift, and neglect cardio.

I know that this is bad andni have full intent on changing this.

Yes, it is a good idea.

You know you neglect cardio. Go to PT sessions and work out. Start running. If you are too heavy, get on an elliptical cycle, get in the swimming pool and swim. When your weight is down, run. Start easy and build.

Many a man intends on changing, few do. You need to change your eating habits and exercise habits.

And again, in answer to the last again, yes, it is a good idea.

Start today.

The FIRST thing I would advise somebody to do if they need to lose a significant amount of weight is to make sure they have good eating habits. Losing weight is simple math. calories in, calories out. Technically, you don't even have to exercise to lose weight (not that you will be healthy or in good shape, but you will lose weight). If you eat more than you burn, you're going to gain weight. If you eat less than you burn, you're going to lose weight. So first, educate yourself on how many calories you eat. Figure out what your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is. Figure out about how many calories you burn running a mile. Eat healthy. And I know you are still young, so talk to people who are knowledgeable about this stuff. Maybe it's your parents, maybe it's a friend who is a doctor, maybe it's your PE teacher. But get help and get knowledge on good eating habits.

Second.... do cardio. Swim, bike, run, get on an eliptical, play basketball, go on hikes. Anything that gets your heart rate up.

And finally, to answer your question, Yes. Go to poolee PE sessions. They do more than just exercise to prepare you for boot camp.

Credits
    Savings
    Well I suppose that I should check in since im sure your all eagerly awaiting how it was.

It was torture, but it was definitely worth going to. I seen how badly out of shape I was and I am glad I went. I now have some physical souvenirs on my arm which I acquired from hopping concrete walls during our jog and could lead someone to believe I cut myself on a regular basis. However I am proud to have them. But I cannot say I was expecting it to be easy since if being a marine was easy than they wouldnt be the worlds finest fighting force.

Thanks everyone in the thread for support!

Credits
    Savings
    Welp i took a summer break and im down to 260. Not nearly enough but its coming. I currently run 5 miles every other day due to my knee, refer to my previous thread, and i take oxy elite pro. ANy other tips from people who have been there done that

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    5 miles very other day?...that is too much in my opinion. I would cut that down to 5 miles once a week, 2-3 miles once a week, and then a sprinting day once a week. Running long distances like that doesn't burn many calories once your heart rate settles a bit after the first mile or two.

Get off that oxy elite garbage too. All that is really is caffeine/stimulant that sky rockets your heart rate. Get into a weight training regiment and/or crossfit type thing. Low weight and high reps will burn more calories than any amount of running will ever do. Diet is a huge factor also, how many calories are you taking in a day and what kind of calories are those?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    5 miles very other day?...that is too much in my opinion. I would cut that down to 5 miles once a week, 2-3 miles once a week, and then a sprinting day once a week. Running long distances like that doesn't burn many calories once your heart rate settles a bit after the first mile or two.

Get off that oxy elite garbage too. All that is really is caffeine/stimulant that sky rockets your heart rate. Get into a weight training regiment and/or crossfit type thing. Low weight and high reps will burn more calories than any amount of running will ever do. Diet is a huge factor also, how many calories are you taking in a day and what kind of calories are those?
    Typically I dont eat breakfast. For lunch I will have a can of Tuna and a bottle of water. For dinner I will have something lean such as chicken and some vegetables.

Also: I currently weigh 259

I started at 303 I am now at 259, Progress has been made all because of the recruiters and I appreciate that.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outstanding !!!
    Keep going.

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Outstanding !!!
    Keep going.

Best of luck to you.
    Thank you! My signing weight is 233 so it is fairly obtainable with time and perseverance. It reminds me of the first time I met with the recruiter and I was told "Nothing in life worth getting is easy", and that is spot on from what I have learned.

Also I am now a senior.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Typically I dont eat breakfast. For lunch I will have a can of Tuna and a bottle of water. For dinner I will have something lean such as chicken and some vegetables.

Also: I currently weigh 259

I started at 303 I am now at 259, Progress has been made all because of the recruiters and I appreciate that.
    You need to be eating breakfast!....something light. Maybe a few eggs and toast, a small portion of oatmeal and a banana, even a simple bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice. You need something in the morning to spike insulin levels and you will actually burn more calories through out the day.

Thread Information