Hey guys hows it going!
    I'll cut straight to the chase.
    I served in the British Army for 5 years, completed 2 successful
    tours of Afghan. i got out about 2 years ago
    to pursue a different career.
    Im going to be living in the states for about
    3 months soon. And i was wondering if its possible for a British Citizen
    to join the USMC. Some of you may wonder, why would a scot want to join
    the USMC. Well basically when i was in Afghanistan, we worked very closely with one of the regiments. we became friends, and i got to see
    first hand how proud you all were, how brave and determined.
    and that the americans showed more respect towards the British Army
    than even my own country does. we were taken care of very well by you guys. And it something i want to get back into. I was an Infantryman
    16th Air Assault - Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, deployed both time to Helmand. I would hope this would maybe give me an advantage in joining.
    So im just looking for any adice on how, or who i could talk to about it.
    cheers lads.
    Sans Peur!

Send a PM to Shaffer he owns the site and has the last word on who does and who does not.

Ive PM'd him, many thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Maybe im wrong, but i think he is asking for advise about enlisting in the USMC............NOT an application to fill here On Leatherneck...............

I'd be lying to say i know the requirements for enlisting ......
    What i would suggest is that you contact a Recruiter for the US MarineCorps
    by computer/telephone/VOIP what ever it takes.............

IF you're lucky
    afraziaaaa will notice your question when he logs in next trip and be kind enough to give you a real answer other than bull$hit and speculation........

good luck

mind yer kilt laddie

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Essentially, the first thing you would need is to have your green card as a resident immigrant in the US. Without that, few recruiters will spend much time with you. By law, they are not allowed to help you get a green card either.

Once you have a green card, if you are otherwise eligible (passing score on the ASVAB test, educationally qualified, medically qualified, physically qualified, etc), you could be accepted.

The Marine Corps requires that you go through boot camp and other entry level training regardless of past military experience (even American soldiers, etc, have to do this). As you may have learned, Marines have a distinct culture and that starts with the shared misery of boot camp. Even officers have a similar experience with their Officer Candidate School (OCS) and the followup The Basic School (TBS).

One thing, as a non-citizen, your MOS selection will be limited as you will not be eligible for security clearances until you become a US citizen. However, our laws allow for faster citizenship eligibility while serving in the military.

As m14ed stated, hopefully our resident recruiter, Afranziaaa, will scroll through and he can give you the 100% straight info. He's usually in every day or two.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishSoldier View Post
    Hey guys hows it going!
    I'll cut straight to the chase.
    I served in the British Army for 5 years, completed 2 successful
    tours of Afghan. i got out about 2 years ago
    to pursue a different career.
    Im going to be living in the states for about
    3 months soon. And i was wondering if its possible for a British Citizen
    to join the USMC. Some of you may wonder, why would a scot want to join
    the USMC. Well basically when i was in Afghanistan, we worked very closely with one of the regiments. we became friends, and i got to see
    first hand how proud you all were, how brave and determined.
    and that the americans showed more respect towards the British Army
    than even my own country does. we were taken care of very well by you guys. And it something i want to get back into. I was an Infantryman
    16th Air Assault - Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, deployed both time to Helmand. I would hope this would maybe give me an advantage in joining.
    So im just looking for any adice on how, or who i could talk to about it.
    cheers lads.
    Sans Peur!
    You can join if you are processed for alien residency, and you meet all other requirements. At a bare minimum, you need a stamp on your passport that says "Processed for I-551". The I-551 is a green card.

ScottishSoldier, just so you know, afraziaaaa is a recruiter.

Thread Information