How long do I have to wait in the DEP?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How long do I have to wait in the DEP?

The recruiter I talked to said the available date for me to go is september, or even possibly may, unless an earlier date opens up.

The thing is that is a long time from now and I'm ready mentally and physically fit to go right now. I don't want to wait 7 months to go to boot camp, that seems like an awful long time...

Is every other recruiter going to basically tell me the same thing? Can recruiters actually send you earlier if they want? Does he just want to fill his quoto for the month of september?

All positions have been filled through November.There are exceptions because of drugs,injuries and deaths,etc. It is all branches of the military,doesn't matter which one you ask,the answer will probably be the same. See link for numbers.

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=14973

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    All positions have been filled through November.There are exceptions because of drugs,injuries and deaths,etc. It is all branches of the military,doesn't matter which one you ask,the answer will probably be the same. See link for numbers.

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=14973
    Wow that was fast. Wasn't the new budjet for the year in october.

I don't know about that, but hey.. I was in the DEP for 11 months. You can never be too prepared.. and the DEP does prepare you to an extent.

Best of luck to you,

LCpl Yonkers

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    More people want in than the Corps has slots. They have to plan boat spaces in boot camp well ahead.

Depending on your MOS selection, you could tell the recruiter you'll be happy to be a standby for any earlier date. Make certain that you are 100% ready to go. Solid pass on the IST, etc. Also be prepared to ship with very little notice if you are on the standby list.

In my day, you could enlist and ship within a day or so. I was in DEP for six months to finish high school, but I could have shipped the day after I did my thing at AFEES (the old term for MEPS).

I was in DEP for 11 months as well. Be in the DEP is not only great for your fitness and mentality, it also takes those months out of your IRR if/once you EAS. It's a good program, just be patient with it, too. If you say you are already physically and mentally ready, then push through those barriers and look for weaknesses. It's a good time to show yourself you are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas1989 View Post
    The recruiter I talked to said the available date for me to go is september, or even possibly may, unless an earlier date opens up.

The thing is that is a long time from now and I'm ready mentally and physically fit to go right now. I don't want to wait 7 months to go to boot camp, that seems like an awful long time...

Is every other recruiter going to basically tell me the same thing? Can recruiters actually send you earlier if they want? Does he just want to fill his quoto for the month of september?
    If you want to come to New York, I might be able to send you a week sooner.

If you want to get out of here, go join the Army.

Thread Information