Marine and naval plaque
Create Post

Marine and naval plaque

This is a picture of a plaque that my Dad left me before he passed away. I'm trying to find out if anybody knows anything about it or who I could contact to find out more about it. My Dad told me that a good friend of his gave it to him and told him that it used to hang on the front gate in sia gon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4054.jpg‎
Views:	207
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	9216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4055.jpg‎
Views:	192
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	9217  

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    It's the "Official Seal" of the "United States Marine Corps"... just not the normal color...

The color is correct,but with a raised globe they are usually after market pieces.Can you post a photo of the reverse side?

I can post a picture of the back tomarrow i have to get it out of its storage area. It is a solid Brass plaque that is about 14" around. I don't know a whole lot about it but it was something that meant alot to my dad and I have had alot of different Marines that have seen it and made great comments about it but nobody can confirm where it came from.

Here is a picture of the back. If anybody knows anthing about it or somebody that would that would be great

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg‎
Views:	247
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	9219  

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tschuppan View Post
    This is a picture of a plaque that my Dad left me before he passed away. I'm trying to find out if anybody knows anything about it or who I could contact to find out more about it. My Dad told me that a good friend of his gave it to him and told him that it used to hang on the front gate in sia gon.

Judging by the fact that it's "Brass", and if what you say is correct, that it hung on a gate in Saigon, Vietnam..

My best guess is that it was on the gate of the American Embassy, and in some form or manner it was procured during the fall in 75'..

Just an educated guess..

If in fact that is the case, then it is highly coveted as an Historical piece..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Having been to both the Saigon embassy and the Marine House, I don't recall seeing anything like that - but many moons have passed since then. My guess is, IF it was from Saigon, it would have been from the Marine House. It certainly was no secret to the Vietnamese where the MH was and what it was, so putting up a brass EGA would be no big OPSEC deal.

my dad told that the guy that gave it to him was posted at the front gates of the embassy. He said when he was told to leave his post and head for the helicopters to fly out he grabbed both plaques one off each gate shoved them into his pack and then flew out. My dad told me he had two of them and then he gave 1 to my dad. Thats all I know about it but if it is true it is a great piece of history that would mean alot to people

Just wanted to say thank you to all you guys for your help with this. I also want to say THANK YOU to all of you that have served or are serving know

Thread Information