Which MOS is more "exciting"
Create Post

Which MOS is more "exciting"

When I decided to join the Marines, a big part of why was because I wanted to do something somewhat adventurous. I tested in high enough that my recruiter is telling me I can more or less take my pick of what becomes available in the next jobs release.

My motivation for joining the Marines was not as a means of advancing my professional career as is probably the case for a lot of the young guys who join the military, so despite possibly being ABLE to select an MOS that would put me in a really good position post Marines professionally - I fear that by selecting something like that it would relegate me to some desk job or boring clerical work for the next 4-5 years.

Despite being a reasonably smart guy, I have never excelled in an indoors/classroom environment. I really had to buckle down just to take the ASVAB. Obviously when I did, I was vindicated as being pretty smart but it really takes all I have to just not lose my mind after 3 hours of sitting still in front of a page of paper. I HAVE to be out in the field doing things, otherwise I'll probably be miserable.

Ok,... Now that being said if I could find a happy medium, that would be ideal. The MOS's that appeal to me currently are 02XX Intel, or 6XXX Maint / Crew Chief. I would very much like to get the straight dope preferably from some current Marines in these fields as to how "exciting" these jobs are. I expect that there's a reasonable amount of "grind" with anything in the Marines, but taking into account what I just said about my tolerance of monotony, which one is a greater degree more "exciting"? Or,.. If you have any suggestions on other MOS's entirely I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Credits
    Savings
    If you want something "exciting" go 0300....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It depends on what you consider "exciting."

If you hate being indoors, 02xx is not for you.

Aviation MOS' (especially crew chief) are heavy in academics, although eventually you get hands-on and outside. But you will always be reading to stay current, updating paperwork, going to follow-on schools, etc.

If being outside a lot in the heat and cold, running, pooping in holes, carrying a ton of crap on your back, while getting shot at or watching where you put your feet next, then 03xx may be your thing.

All great advice, thank you all.

Obviously it's not as simple as black and white. I could feasibly do an indoor job as long as it kept my interest. For example, Intel (ELINT in particular) appeals to me because I am already somewhat of a radio dork. I've made a hobby in the past of monitoring HF for numbers stations etc,.. I've been playing around with radios of all types since I was a kid and have been involved with it to a high degree just short of acquiring a ham ticket. The clandestine nature of it is appealing to me as well as the very valuable clearance that goes along with it.

Crew chief appeals to me because I like the idea of being a part of a helo crew and sort of being the onboard mechanic and door gunner. I've also read that there's some advanced schooling involved with that including stalking and survival training. That sounds like the type of excitement I'm after. I had also planed on going to school for aircraft MX prior to deciding to join the Marines in order to become a fixed wing aircraft mechanic for the major airline I am already employed by. I know rotary and fixed wing are not exactly parallel fields, but there has to be SOME commonality. And if not, no big deal because like I said before it's not all about advancing my career.

Are you descended from Patrick Gass

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Are you descended from Patrick Gass
    As a matter of fact I am,.. Someone knows their historical figures

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm leavin it alone.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryangassxx View Post
    As a matter of fact I am,.. Someone knows their historical figures
    Well, that could explain the wanting excitment part.

Thread Information