Marksmanship Qualifcation question - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I reckon things have really changed since i was in. My attitude was and so was my family and my Drill Instructor. Expert Rifle and later when I made Corporal Expert Pistol was the only way to go. In boot I enjoyed shooting. it was competitive, and I wanted the highest score i could get. I dont understand being satisfied with just qualifying.

Yeah, elisted folks under her are not going to care at all about their officer's shooting ability. That's only a concern if the officer is a spaz and becomes a safety violator, and thats more for Table 2, and HRP type shooting.

I'm not sure anyone said anything about being satisifed with just qualifying - but in this case, once Qual Day is over, you can only practice and train and work on it until you qual next year.

Personally, I never qualified less than expert with the rifle - over ten years my scores ranged from 221 to 246 - and I was never satisified with my score. I don't think that it's in a Marine's nature to be satisified with with their qual scores, let alone getting by with "just qualifying". If I had ever managed a 250, I'm sure I would have started counting "X"s

Well I'm stationed at TBS right now probably saluted her 25x already.

Nobody cares about rifle scores for officers. PT, different story.

I definately wouldn't let your daughter's range score bother her any.

I shot Pizza box in Boot and then after attending my Battalions Rifle Range Coach school I shot Expert twice after that and Sharpshooter with the pistol.

as long as she takes care of her fellow Marines and leads from the front it dont really matter what she shoots.she will do better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by CplLakota View Post
    I reckon things have really changed since i was in. My attitude was and so was my family and my Drill Instructor. Expert Rifle and later when I made Corporal Expert Pistol was the only way to go. In boot I enjoyed shooting. it was competitive, and I wanted the highest score i could get. I dont understand being satisfied with just qualifying.

In August 2008 in Oki, I believe Hansan range (?), I was satisfied with just making it through the range. We had around 15 heat casualties each day. I remember almost passing out in the prone. Anyways, I shot just low enough to not be able to get expert with the table 2. Didn't matter because by the time I was eligible for a cutting score to Sgt I shot again. Sometimes, if the time is right, your scores don't honestly mean ****. Maybe I am different from you folks, but when something doesn't mean ****, I can't say I care much about it in return.

Oh, and 03Mike, I once shot a 246 as well. On pre-qual day in boot. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
    Truly appreciate the feedback.

In our conversation she was much more concerned about earning respect from the enlisted ranks rather than her officer peers in regards to her shooting. As far as "good natured ribbing" she will give as good as she gets. She is very used to being in a predominately male environment and has a long track record of outperforming the majority of her male counterparts both mentally and physically.
    To be honest, a enlisted guy would never mention her badge to her face, unless she's in the fleet going back to the range and he's coaching her. If he is good he'll want to see that databook from her 1st qual.

Even tho our rifle scores are a judge of pure marksmanship, which is different then fighting with a rifle, its still one more thing everyone is judged on.Haircut, sleeves, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Kind of odd, but in boot camp we had M-14s, then at ITR at Camp Geiger, they gave us M-1s for the six weeks there.

Then afterwards, back to the M-14.

Was not easy to make the transition to the M-1. A good and reliable weapon, though, agreed.
    I shot Sharpshooter in boot with a M-14.The frikken PMI got me all tied in knots,and I couldn't hit crap!Had to qualify again in 1964 at the Marine Barracks in Bremerton ,WA.We had to qualify with the .45 as well beings we carried them while on duty aboard the USS Kittyhawk.No one messing with me and I only dropped 11 out of the bulls eye, 239 with a M-1.Nice tight groups.I also qualified Expert with the WWI .45!!I never gave shooting at paper targets in gawd awful positions much concern.Shooting at the enemy,now we want to hit what we are aiming at!
    Semper Fi

in boot we were issued M-14s went to ITR they gave us M-16s they were ok but give me my 14 back

Qualified expert with the M-14, M-16, .45mm pistol, 9mm pistol, and .38cal pistol (on the FBI academy range at Quantico for MSG school). Out of those the M-14 was the easiest to shoot expert and the hardest to hump (heaviest).

Thread Information