I was with the 1st Battalion,8th Marine Regiment,H&S Company.Flame section.I'm attempting to find out if my outfit was considered part of the 6th Expeditionary Force?We were helicoptered in to the front line to replace 3/6 if I recall correctly.We defended one half of the island,and the 82 Airborne covered the other half.Anyone that was involved in that operation,and can tell me some information would be appreciated.
Our Skipper was an ex enlisted man,named Hudson.The ironic thing is that are Company 1st SGT.was named Hudson as well.
I would like to hear from anyone from 1/8 that was involved in the Dominican crisis.As I recall we left the Dominican Republic in late May,1965.Back to LeJeune aboard the U.S.S. Monrovia.
I have mild,cognitive impairment,that will probably lead to Alzheimer disease down the road a bit.I just want to chat with a few brothers before I lose more mental capacity.
I was,and still am proud to be a Marine.No disease will ever take that from me!
The reason I would like to know about the 6th Expeditionary Force is that they received the Navy Unit Commendation Award.I was told that all the USMC records were lost in a fire in St.Louis,long ago.I kept my DD 214 upon discharge in 1966.I know that the awards on it are in error as I should have the National Defense Medal,as I was in the Corps during the right time period.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Semper Fi