Questions and Concerns
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Questions and Concerns

I'm thinking about enlisting in the Marine Corp as either and 0311 or 1371, and I'd like input and advice from current or retired Marines. Everyone that I have spoken with about my future enlistment has given me the same advice, "Think about it." This includes friends, family, and retired servicemen (navy and air force). Well I've been thinking for three months straight and I am still no closer to reaching a decision.

I believe I have character faults that would make military life difficult and possibly dangerous for myself and those around me. Can these be worked out with effort, or am I going to be stuck in a contract while people tell me I should have read up on what I was getting myself into.

1. I tend to ask the question "Why?" My father, a Vietnam Navy veteran, often says I'm too smart for my own good, and that I'm a hardheaded smart ass. While I realize the ability to follow orders is necessary and that operant conditioning is part of the reason why Marines are able to act under extreme stress, I'm afraid of losing the ability to control my own life and make choices for myself after I finish my enlistment.
    2. I spend a lot of time thinking, sometimes to such an extent that I fall subject to paralysis by analysis. I worry that my poor reaction time will get people killed. Can the Marines teach me to go with my gut?

Thank you to all who reply. I tried searching the forum for my answer, but I didn't find anything relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses084 View Post
    I'm thinking about enlisting in the Marine Corp as either and 0311 or 1371, and I'd like input and advice from current or retired Marines. Everyone that I have spoken with about my future enlistment has given me the same advice, "Think about it." This includes friends, family, and retired servicemen (navy and air force). Well I've been thinking for three months straight and I am still no closer to reaching a decision.

I believe I have character faults that would make military life difficult and possibly dangerous for myself and those around me. Can these be worked out with effort, or am I going to be stuck in a contract while people tell me I should have read up on what I was getting myself into.

1. I tend to ask the question "Why?" My father, a Vietnam Navy veteran, often says I'm too smart for my own good, and that I'm a hardheaded smart ass. While I realize the ability to follow orders is necessary and that operant conditioning is part of the reason why Marines are able to act under extreme stress, I'm afraid of losing the ability to control my own life and make choices for myself after I finish my enlistment.
    2. I spend a lot of time thinking, sometimes to such an extent that I fall subject to paralysis by analysis. I worry that my poor reaction time will get people killed. Can the Marines teach me to go with my gut?

Thank you to all who reply. I tried searching the forum for my answer, but I didn't find anything relevant.
    Asking "Why?" is mandatory. Expecting an answer is not. Despite the reputation for being big dumb grunts that just follow orders, you'll find that most Marines have good attention to detail, and ask "Why?" quite often. If they didn't, they would get dead a lot faster, a lot more often. Just learn to ask "Why?" of your surroundings, not of your orders.

And to question 2. Yes. The Marines WILL teach you to react quickly.

And if what you say is factual, don't think 0311, think 0321. Attention to detail is a mandatory skill. Though being an engineer would probably benefit you more once you finish your tour.

Thread Information