Meeting recruiter...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meeting recruiter...

Hello everyone, as the title implies, I am meeting with a USMC recruiter for the first time tomorrow. I just got off the phone with him and I must say that he interrogated me quite well lol. Any how, he said I qualified so as of right now im good to go. However, I started this thread to ask the Marines on this community how I should handle this meeting, what questions I should ask and what to look for/expect. I understand that he is in the business of recruiting for the USMC so he will say anything and do anything for me to sign. I really dont have any relatives or friends in the military so I am sort of relying on you men/women to be my eagle eye and make sure that I'm doing everything correctly. Thank you!

- Jeremy

Ask about MOS's that transfer to civilian life by certifications and qualifications. Some examples are, computers, air traffic controller, meteorology.... etc... By the way, these days, a recruiter doesnt have to worry about making quota, if you dont sign, he will find someone else to. Too many people want in. As for the interview, be respectful, direct, and honest. If he says something you dont understand, ask him to explain.

If you are seriously thinking about joining then you should handle it like a job interview. First impressions can't be changed. Take a shower, shave, wear clean/freshly pressed clothes (no jeans or tennis shoes). Give a firm handshake and look him in his eyes. Ask appropriate questions and don't waste his time; recruiters are busy people. It's true he is in the business of recruiting for the USMC but with todays job market and military drawdown, there are more applicants than available positions; don't fool yourself into believing he will tell you anything to get you to join. Today, recruiters can afford to pick-and-choose who they will ship to bootcamp. When it comes to signing a contract, there will have to be some level of trust between he and yourself.

As Top already stated, be direct, to the point, respectful, and expect to hear some answers to questions that you might not like. As a Marine currently assigned to recruiting, I see young men that come in all the time expecting me to bend over backwards for them... Truth of the matter is, I will do far more to help someone in that shows up eager, comes to PT a few times, and helps me out when it comes time to gather documents for their package. Just this month I've had 5 guys come in my door demanding certain bonuses/jobs/ship dates and I just send them down the hall. The individual recruiter has very little control over what jobs/ship dates he/she has available and they'll usually work with you to help you out... but don't go in there thinking that they "need" you. Right now on average, so long as you're putting 1 person a month into the Marines, you might not be stellar, or even a solid recruiter, but you're at standard... I put 2 a month in without trying too hard and use the extra time to PT with my pool... so as was stated, treat it like a job interview.

Update

I was with my recruiter for about 3 hours. I scored a 73 on the practice AFQT (didnt study). He had me watch a couple of videos and had me pick out 3 reasons of why I wanted to join. He said he was surprised I passed the test without using scrap paper, I lol'd. He was cool, he told me his story and I told him mine. We went through the various MOS's and I told him that I was interested in either Military Police or Reconnsaissance Man( maybe im crazy idk) he said currently there was no opening for either MOS but that there was 1 spot for Infantry and that from there I could lat to recon/sf. He really wants me to take the ASVAB on Monday and physical on Tuesday. I feel that its too soon as I still need time to speak to the family. This is an important commitment. Tell me what you guys think.

Infantry is hard to get these days kid. I would jump on it. Talk it over with your recruiter before you talk it over with your family. He can give you pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    Infantry is hard to get these days kid. I would jump on it. Talk it over with your recruiter before you talk it over with your family. He can give you pointers.
    He said he is holding the spot for me until next week. Honestly I had no idea that it was hard to get into Infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R K View Post
    He said he is holding the spot for me until next week. Honestly I had no idea that it was hard to get into Infantry.
    When I was in, if you flunked out of your MOS school, you would get sent to Infantry.

These days, it is very hard to get into Infantry because everyone wants it. They are sharp, well disciplined, intelligent Marines.

For the life of me, I dont understand why they sent those who flunked out of MOS school into Infantry when I was in.

When I was in, if you flunked out of your MOS school, you would get sent to Infantry.

These days, it is very hard to get into Infantry because everyone wants it. They are sharp, well disciplined, intelligent Marines.

For the life of me, I dont understand why they sent those who flunked out of MOS school into Infantry when I was in.
    I understand. I'm still indecisive about it. If I could get a recon spot I would have signed today. But its tough for me between Infantry and MP.

I understand. I'm still indecisive about it. If I could get a recon spot I would have signed today. But its tough for me between Infantry and MP.
    Too much politics in garrison for an MP. No loyalty.

Did you check out Meteorology or Air Traffic Controller? $$$ on the outside when you get out is the logic here.

Too much politics in garrison for an MP. No loyalty.

Did you check out Meteorology or Air Traffic Controller? $$$ on the outside when you get out is the logic here.
    I wanted to go into law enforcement after. Hopefully state trooper. Benefits and pension are very nice. I know I don't have to be an MP to become a trooper but I kinda wanted something related to it. I also dont want to be bored to death for four years lol. I have an automotive background but that's just a backup if all else fails thing. I really really dont want to be breaking my back turning wrenches for the rest of my life.

Nothing wrong with being indecisive; enlisting is a big step toward becoming an adult. As long as you understand there are others out there who want that infantry contract being held for you. It's there this week but won't be next week.

Good luck working through your decision and let us know how it comes out.

I was with my recruiter for about 3 hours. I scored a 73 on the practice AFQT (didnt study). He had me watch a couple of videos and had me pick out 3 reasons of why I wanted to join. He said he was surprised I passed the test without using scrap paper, I lol'd. He was cool, he told me his story and I told him mine. We went through the various MOS's and I told him that I was interested in either Military Police or Reconnsaissance Man( maybe im crazy idk) he said currently there was no opening for either MOS but that there was 1 spot for Infantry and that from there I could lat to recon/sf. He really wants me to take the ASVAB on Monday and physical on Tuesday. I feel that its too soon as I still need time to speak to the family. This is an important commitment. Tell me what you guys think.
    Sounds like your recruiter was pretty straight forward with you. One thing you should consider is that your MOS is not going to determine whether or not you will be able to become a NYS trooper later on in life. There are plenty of former helo mechanics who get out of the Marine Corps and go into law enforcement.

I am not sure if your recruiter explained this to you, but we will not guarantee you a specific MOS, so if you really want to be a Marine you need to get that idea out of your head right now. What we will guarantee is that you will have a specific field, which cannot be assigned until after you take the ASVAB, physical and enlist. The reason for this is, the Marine Corps is not going to promist an applicant a job that he or she may not be qualified for. It is a waste of money for us, and it is also a waste of space for someone that is willing to make the committment, go through with the processing and put the request in for their field.

If the priority opportunity you are looking for is becoming a US Marine then have some faith in your recruiter and move forward with your enlistment. If becoming XYZ job is your first priority, then you might want to look into a different service.

Update

Went to FT. Hamilton today to take my asvab. These are the resul ts: AFQT- 70 MM- 118 GT - 112 EL- 118 CL - 112. I think thats decent. Anyways, he wants me to ship on August but there aren't any good MOS options open, so I will wait until later this year to get a pick at a fresh pack of jobs. Still thinking about infantry but also thinking about aviation now after speaking with my dad.Im not doing MP.

Look at Meteorology. You will go to avionics school and then meteorology school after that. You can land a solid paying federal job after you leave the Corps.

Thread Information