8th Marine Regiment logo history
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

8th Marine Regiment logo history

Good morning all, I am trying to discover the history and possibly who designed the 8th Marines logo. A question came up as to why the logo looks the way it does. Why does it have a merlion on the logo? And really everything there is to know.

So far I have been unable to locate anything pertaining to our logo. Also, if you can find information on this, please post where you found it so I can pass the word around here and let the other Marines know. Thanks for looking.

Are you with 8th Mar Regt now? If so, why are you on rear party? Just curious.

I am with 8th Marines now and not part of the rear party.

what Bn are you with?

I'm attached to HQ Bn as the COMCAM Chief.

Thanks for the link, but it only shows the logo itself, not the history behind it. I do appreciate the link though, that should help if I need to pull any more logos for a project or anything.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Merlion-History

Haven't found out the "Why it's there" part yet but I have found this.

How it all started

There was a request about the meaning/significance of the Merlion, so I did some poking around. Here's what I found out (thanks to wiki and answers sites). Turns out that it hasn't been around all that long.
    A gentleman by the name of Fraser Brunner came up with the design in 1964 for the Singapore Tourism Board. It looks just like you would expect it to, a cross between a Lion's head and a Mermaid's body (Fish). It appears on souvenirs that have been approved by the Tourism Board. There are only 5 'official' Merlion statues in Singapore.
    What is interesting is the story behind the design. Mr. Brunner based the design on the story of how Singapore was founded.
    Singapore was founded by a Malay Prince by the name of Sang Nila Utama. He wanted to find somewhere to build a new City and set out to have a look at some islands off the coast of Sumatra. While hunting deer on one of the islands, he saw a neighboring island that had beaches "like white cloth". He was told that the island was called Temasek. He decided to go there, during the trip a bad storm blew up and the ship took on water and began to sink. They were forced to throw many things overboard. Still the ship took on water. The Prince finally threw his heavy crown overboard and the storm passed. After making it safely to the island, he went inland to do some hunting and saw a strange creature with a red body, black head and white breast. It moved with great speed and grace. He was told that it was a Lion. (though later studies of the area show that Lions were never present there and what he saw was probably a Tiger) He felt it was a very good omen and decided to build his city there. He called the city Singapura, (Singa means Lion and pura means City.) which he ruled over for close to 50 years.
    Interestingly enough there is a Merlion on the 8th Marine Regiment of the US Marine Corps crest.

That's pretty neat, thanks for posting. Any guesses as to why a merlion for 8th Marines though? My father-in-law said he found something that states it's because we're an amphibious force, but after reading that article, how would it pertain to us? Or is it just the story behind the merlion?

8th Marine Regiment
    150 Marines from 8th Marine Regiment, based in Camp Lejeune NC, arrived in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince the evening of 29 February 2004.

The 8th Marine Regiment was formed on 9 October, 1917, at Quantico, Virginia during the build up for World War I. While training for war, the command was transferred to Fort Crockett, Texas to guard the nearby Mexican oil fields. The Regiment was joined there by the 9th Marines to form the 3d Marine Brigade; the first Advance Base Force of World War I. As such, the Marines were held in reserve to establish and defend naval bases in the Atlantic or the West Indies, if required. The 8th Marines was deactivated at Philadelphia Navy Yard in 1919.

A year later, the Regiment was reactivated for service in Haiti where Marines had been fighting the Cacos bandits since 1914. Through systematic patrolling which culminated in a number of brief, sharp clashes, the 8th Marines eliminated Haitian banditry that had lasted more than a hundred years. With its mission accomplished, the 8th Marines was deactivated again in 1925.

In 1940 the Regiment was formed once more, in San Diego, California. It was a well-trained unit by the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor and became the first Marine Regiment to deploy into the Pacific waters to Samoa. After ten months of jungle training, while defending the Samoan Islands, the Regiment sailed to reinforce the engaged 1st Marine Division on Guadalcanal. While there, the 8th Marines won its first Presidential Unit Citation.

A second test was not long in coming. Joining the 2d Marine Division in New Zealand, the 8th Marines spent several months refitting for operation GALVANIC, the amphibious assault on Tarawa. In 76 hours of some of the bloodiest fighting in American history, the Marines seized that island and opened the door to the Japanese Empire. The lessons of Tarawa were to influence the conduct of amphibious operations for the rest of the war. For its gallant performance, the 8th Marine Regiment received its second Presidential Unit Citation.

After refitting in Hawaii, the 8th Marines sailed for the Marianas, to storm the beaches of Saipan and Tinian, capturing key bases for the air war against Japan. Reinforced with artillery, the Regiment later joined the 1st and 6th Divisions in the battle for Okinawa.

After a year of occupation duty in Japan, the 8th Marine Regiment left the Far East for Camp Lejeune. For the past four decades it has provided landing forces for the 2d and 6th fleets in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, and Caribbean. A demanding tempo of training and deployments has been interrupted by service in Lebanon, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic. In 1980, the 8th Marines provided security forces for the Haitian/Cuban Refugee operation.

Marines from the Regimental attracted worldwide attention in August 1982 when the 2d Battalion, 8th Marines landed in Beirut, Lebanon, to ensure the safe evacuation of the Palestine Liberation Organization. In September of that year, the 8th Marines suffered a devastating loss from a terrorist attack on the BLT headquarters.

Almost simultaneously 2d Battalion, 8th Marines participated in Operation URGENT FURY, the successful liberation of the Island of Grenada and the rescue of American students. Immediately after departing Grenada, 2d Battalion, 8th Marines races to join the Multi-National Peacekeeping Force in Beirut, Lebanon ending their duties as part of the Multi-National Peacekeeping Force and resuming their commitment as the Landing Force Sixth Fleet (LF6F) Battalion Landing Team.

In August 1990, 2d Battalion, 4th Marines participated in Operation SHARP EDGE in Liberia to protect American lives during that country's civil war. 3d Battalion, 8th Marines then relieved 2d Battalion, 4th Marines and successfully concluded SHARP EDGE in January 1991.

From December 1990 to April 1991 the 8th Marines participated in Operation DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. 2d Battalion, 8th Marines participated in Operation PROVIDE COMFORT in northern Iraq from April to July 1991 and 3d Battalion, 8th Marines participated during July 1991. During December 1991, 2d Battalion, 8th Marines deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba during Operation TAKE CHARGE to assist in controlling masses of Haitian refugees. From September 1991 to March 1992, 1st Battalion, 8th Marines participated in the continuation of Operation Desert Storm in the Arabian Gulf.

During 1994 and 1996 elements of the Regiment participated in refugee control operations in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and embassy protection operations in Monrovia, Liberia and in Bangui, Central African Republic.

From June to July of 1999 3d Battalion, 8th Marines participated in operation JOINT GUARDIAN in Kosovo. A year later elements of 8th Marines were called on again for Operation EASTERN ACCESS, April 2000 to May 2000, on the island of Vieques located near Puerto Rico.

The 8th Marine Regimental Headquarters was re-established during a ceremony at Camp LeJeune Oct. 9, 2003 after standing down from supporting the 4th Marine Expeditionary(Anti-Terrorism) (the unit was officially established on October 1, 2003).

page two

8th Marine Regiment re-established
    In-Depth Coverage
    Marine Corps News

Release Date: 10/15/2003

Story by Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.(Oct. 15, 2003) -- Haiti, Samoa, Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa, Cuba, Beirut, Grenada, Kuwait and Iraq. These are battlefields around the world where Marines have fought and died, but more, they are all battlefields the 8th Marine Regiment has fought to conquer. The 8th Marine Regimental Headquarters was re-established during a ceremony here Oct. 9 after standing down from supporting the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (Anti-Terrorism).

"The re-establishment of 8th Marines' headquarters is very important for 2nd Marine Division," said Col. Mark Gurganus, the commanding officer of 8th Marine Regiment and native of Wilmington, N.C. "We're giving the division it's third regimental headquarters back and we are re-assigning our three infantry battalions back to 8th Marine Headquarters."

The ceremony started at 5 p.m. with the posting of the colors. After posting of the colors, Gurganus relinquished the microphone to Lt. Gen. Henry P. Osman, commanding general, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Osman stated, "The incredible success of 8th Marines (can be attributed) to their regimental headquarters. I'm honored to be here today to celebrate this event with you all."

Osman introduced the guest of honor, retired Col. J.B. Beavers, commanding officer, 8th Marine Regiment, from 1993-1995. Beavers concluded the speech by saying, "I'd like to thank 8th Marines for what they gave me, for what they've done in the past, and for what I know they'll do in the future."

The ceremony concluded with the colors being retired, and guests and families meeting in the regimental headquarters for refreshments.

"This is not only a special day for 2nd Marine Division, it's also a special day for 8th Marines. October 9 is when we were established in 1917," said Gurganus.

Since that day, 8th Marine Regiment has proved itself again and again in every fight its been called to. Most recently, 8th Marines was assigned to the 4th MEB (AT), to fight terrorism around the world. Recently, the funds were allocated to permanently establish the 4th MEB (AT), so the 8th Marine Regiment was returned to its former place within 2nd Marine Division.

"It's hard to start a regiment from the ground up. We have to get all our Marines and gear from the other regiments they were sent to," said Sgt. Maj. Lawrence A. Rosenfeld, the sergeant major of 8th Marines and a native of Bogotá, N.J. "Our job is to be combat ready if called on to deploy. With the re-establishment of our headquarters to pull it all together, we're ready to do that."

Forming a new regimental headquarters brings with it many unforeseen problems. Where most units have a certain way of doing things, a newly formed regimental headquarters has to learn the ropes as they go.

"It'll take a little while before we get a set way of doing things. Once we do, we'll run just like any other regimental headquarters," said Cpl. Robert J. Flores, personnel and administration clerk with the headquarters and a native of Corpus Christi, Texas. "It'll be interesting to see how it all goes when we're starting from scratch."

Starting from scratch is something every element of the headquarters company is experiencing. From military gear to office supplies, everything has to be acquired to do the job a normal infantry headquarters company does.

"Where other people have phones, fax machines, and televisions, we have to acquire all of that stuff and do the normal tasks we do as a supply office," said Cpl. Eric B. Reeves, supply and administration chief for 8th Marines supply. The Winters, Texas, native continued, "The hardest part of getting this place to run is getting all your ducks in a row and keeping them there. Once we get something set up. It seems some part of it wants to fall apart. Acquiring all of our required gear and keeping everything running is stressful, but we're getting it done."

Pulling it all back together and getting it running again is just a small step in bringing the regiment to its full war fighting capability. Training is continuous even after the battalion is running smoothly.

"Our goal now is to get re-focused on war fighting as a regimental headquarters, to renew our knowledge of tactics and procedures, and to provide our commanding general with a fully operational regiment ready to deploy if needed," said Gurganus. "We've done that, and now we can continue to add to the long and rich history of the 8th Marine Regiment."

Marine Corps Historian

Spoke with a Marine Corps Historian yesterday from Quantico. She stated that unless a unit registers their unit logo with them, they have no info. Most units in the Corps have never registered their logo. If they do, then thats they way it has to stay.

8th Mar Regt should have some info on it on their records. However, they won't be back for a while since they just left. Maybe someone from the rear party can help with getting more info. I believe the senior Marine back is a 1stLt.

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll see if they can't do some digging and register the logo. I'm sure the question will come up again. I really appreciate all of y'alls help with this. I can now take it and pass it on to see what we can do.

I WAS WITH 8th MARINE REGEMENT FROM 85-90 i was honored to be part of them BECAUSE we were americas regement during the 80's. DURING THAT TIME WE HAD A LEGEND AS OUR REGIMENTAL COMMANDER AND A MOH WINNER COL JAMES LIVINGSTON NOW LT GENERAL RET. SO 8TH MARINES HAVE A LOT OF HISTORY THAT SHOULD NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

SEMPER FI MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

I WAS WITH 8th MARINE REGEMENT FROM 85-90 i was honored to be part of them BECAUSE we were americas regement during the 80's. DURING THAT TIME WE HAD A LEGEND AS OUR REGIMENTAL COMMANDER AND A MOH WINNER COL JAMES LIVINGSTON NOW LT GENERAL RET. SO 8TH MARINES HAVE A LOT OF HISTORY THAT SHOULD NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

SEMPER FI MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF 3/8 ALUMNI 85-90

History of 8th Marines

Thank you for the info on the History of the 8th Marines.

Takes me back in time a little as I was 1StSgt of H & S Co 3/8 back in 1978 - 79. Took a Med Cruise and busted my hip, got medivac back to Rota, Spain for surgery, then medivac back to Camp Le Juene and placed on Limited Duty with 2nd Combat Eng, assigned as 1StSgt Company "C". After two Med Boards and reaching 20 years service, I was retired to the Temporary Retired List. After five years of being on the Temp Retired List I was retired from the Marine Corp. Been a long time, I still keep in touch with my 8th Marines Sgt Maj. Great Marine taught me alot in the little time I was with him.

Semper Fi Marines....and Always keep our honor high.

WOW THAT SUCKS 1st SGT SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT I HAD FUN ON MY MED CRUISE,

SEMPER FI SIR

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Thread Information