new member with an ompf question - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mav169v View Post
    are you a sergeant?
    Yes I was, up until 93. Then I got out. You mean SRB right?

Yes, sorta. The SRB, believe it or not, isn't "official". The OMPF on the other hand, is. That's what's 'briefed' when your packet goes in front of the selection board, and why its' so critical to make sure your SRB matches the OMPF. Nowadays since everything is on computer, it's allegedly not as difficult. "Allegedly". The OMPF also contains all the copies of your fitreps

Hell, I was going to ask what the OMPF was as well. I am glad someone asked prior...and yes... I am/was a SNCO but I got out in the 70s. So while the terminology has changed.... it is still my Marine Corps.

OMPF = Official Military Personnel File

As mentioned, it's more than just the SRB / OQR as it includes FitReps, and official letters, and promotion photos.

Most Marines encounter their OMPF for the first time when they are seeking promotion to Staff Sergeant or above. Used to be we'd get copies on microfiche. Usually the biggest problem with the OMPF was missing FitReps or something that didn't match the SRB/OQR. I remember some of the biggest gigs for promotions had to do with the official promotion photo - either someone who needed a "larger" uniform or more often, someone who's ribbons or marksmanship badges didn't match what was in their SRB/OQR.

Yup...and it's still that way from what I can see from the last SSgt board.

Thread Information