MOS 5700. After the Corps
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MOS 5700. After the Corps

I searched this topic well on here and on the rest of the Internets.For other CBRN takers there are 2 threads that come up in search here
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...highlight=CBRN

and http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...highlight=CBRN

I was wondering if you guys have any words on what kind of careers I should be looking for if I deicide the Corpe isnt for me past my 4 years? After my recruiter talked me out of 03, I just looked thru the book and thought NBC would be the best job for if I leave. With the talk of Dirty Bombs and mass terrorists attacks,I feel someone like a CBRN Marine would be in great value in the private sector. Is this true?

I still would like to go into Law Enforcment or something very similer. Any idea on agencies having positions evolving out of these new threats?
    Some kind of LEO/Hazmat kind of thing?

I want to make the most of my time as would anyone. If I can get togather a plan before I leave for boot, I think Id be better off, because I can take the nececary college classes while Im in to help me along towards that career.

And to any guys that have been in the current conflict, do 57's go on patrols? I hope soo.

Corpe? I think you mean CORPS!

All the CBRN Marines I knew hated their jobs. And I don't think they go on too many patrols either...but I may be mistaken.

As far as life after the Marine Corps, well I'm sure a CBRN background wouldn't hurt in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by LandsNGrooves View Post
    I was wondering if you guys have any words on what kind of careers I should be looking for if I deicide the Corpe isnt for me past my 4 years? After my recruiter talked me out of 03, I just looked thru the book and thought NBC would be the best job for if I leave. With the talk of Dirty Bombs and mass terrorists attacks,I feel someone like a CBRN Marine would be in great value in the private sector. Is this true?

I still would like to go into Law Enforcment or something very similer. Any idea on agencies having positions evolving out of these new threats?
    Some kind of LEO/Hazmat kind of thing?

I want to make the most of my time as would anyone. If I can get togather a plan before I leave for boot, I think Id be better off, because I can take the nececary college classes while Im in to help me along towards that career.

And to any guys that have been in the current conflict, do 57's go on patrols? I hope soo.
    In my opinion, this MOS will not give you any specific advantage into a career field. The LEO/Hazmat jobs are specialties of other careers. For LEO, the bomb squad is comprised of cops with extensive training in explosives handling (you don't do any of that in NBC). For HazMat, these are often firefighters with extensive training in material containment and operations in hazardous environments. Now, you will have experience in working with protective gear and decontaminating equipment, but once again, this is only a secondary skill to the firefighter. NBC will not give you any advantages in a firefighting career. There are also engineers in HazMat, civil, mechanical, structural, etc, but once again, they are engineers first and hazmat second.

All of these careers that you are thinking of require college and training in a specific area. The Corps will help you mature into a good student and will likely give you an advantage over other college students in the terms of discipline and a goal achieving attitude. However, once again, these Marine traits are not limited to NBC Marines.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Marines. I first told my recruiter i wanted Infantry or MP because i wanted to go into some kind of Criminal Justice career, but he said alot of agencies(which ive heard this too) are weary of MP Marines because "we do things different" and my "plan" wasnt so much one.

So I basicaly cleared my clock and picked what i thought was the MOS with the best transferability.57-- .Owell! A friend of the familly is retired FWFD,Ill have to give him a call,see what he thinks. I guess if all else fails, Corrections is always there.

Thank You guys .

You can still pursue a criminal justice career regardless of what MOS you get.
    I think you're going to find a lot of people on this site who would suggest you go after another MOS, though.

Credits
    Savings
    Sgt. Rvillac2 is correct in his first port, as a former 5711 and a current firefighter the two jobs are completely different. Once you get onto a law enforment agency or the Fire Service some prior experience may help in getting selected for additional training. In both fields however both explosive disposal (which we do none of) and HazMat are very infrequent events and are not the primary jobs of any public service.

I strongly disagree with the Sgt's second post however. I had one of the most rewarding jobs in the Marine Corps, I got to train Marines to protect themselves and others from hazardous environments. It may not have been what some Marines wanted to do, but once I learned what the actual job was and started doing it I loved every minute of it. I will tell you this, on the way over to Desert Shield/Storm I was the most popular guy on the ship. Everyone wanted me to personally check their mask fit, it was standing room only during my classes and once we got "In Country" and the Scuds started flying over our heads nightly, I was the most popular guy to be around until the "All Clear" was given. So my experience was more than I could have imagined and it gave me a true sense of what brotherhood is and what looking out for the Marine next to you means. I was glad that it would be me that my unit counted on if the worst thing any of us could think of (a chemical attack) happened.

My apologies, Cpl R for making you think I was disrespecting your MOS. That last post was only a reflection on some of the posts I've seen on this board regarding this particular field. Your perspective on the point is refreshing. One could argue that safeguarding NBC skills is as important as any other combat survival instruction.

Side note: You notice that the troops aren't carrying their gas masks anymore? That's just too alien to us 80's-90's vets.

Credits
    Savings
    No apologies necessary Sgt., I know what you were trying to get across to the young poolee. It's hard to give advice to someone about their future when their perspective is so unexperienced. Your post was right on in regards to the future civilian aspect but I guess as a 5711 I'm just used to defending my MOS first and asking questions later. It definately isn't the MOS for everyone and depending on what unit you are with the day to day duties can vary greatly. Probably some of the reason that opinions about this job are so different.

Honestly I thought I was only one of the few people that noticed in most pictures of Marines in current combat operations it appears that they aren't carrying their gas masks. I would never try to second guess decisions made by Marine leaders, but all I will say is complacency kills.

Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    Side note: You notice that the troops aren't carrying their gas masks anymore? That's just too alien to us 80's-90's vets.
    It's not too alien. In 2004, we carried our gas masks every where we went. Chem/Bio is still a threat in Iraq. I even remember Gas Masks Wednesdays in the rear...fun fun fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    You can still pursue a criminal justice career regardless of what MOS you get.
    I think you're going to find a lot of people on this site who would suggest you go after another MOS, though.

Would you suggjest any knowing what my goals are? I had Avionics 2nd choice and MP 3rd. I really want something towards the Front. I want atleast one firefight. Foolish might sound, but I have a very specific reason why, and I really dont wanna come home cherry intact.

Its been hell waiting for my ship date.

Hey poolee, those that have been in combat, don't want to be in any more fire fights...not the right thing to say on here. Nothing wrong with wanting to be in the front and all, but nobody ever wants to put rounds down range knowing that they're trying to take someones life.

I honestly pray that you never know that experience.

Credits
    Savings
    [QUOTE=LandsNGrooves;405349 I really want something towards the Front. I want atleast one firefight. [/QUOTE]

If you don't have anything intelligent to say DON"T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!! That was one of the stupidest comments I've ever seen on this board. When you are a police officer will you want to get just one officer involved shooting? You need to grow up!

I have never heard of police angencies being weary of USMC MP's. Ive known a few MP's who have gotten public jobs as police officers pretty fast just for the fact that they were Marine Corps MP's. I'm infantry and I still plan on getting a job with the San Diego police department after my 4 years.

i can tell you that whether you get CBRN or MP your going to HATE fort leonardwood,MO. CBRN,EEIC,Motor-T and MP's train there...i was there for 5 months and hated the place,boring as hell.

CBRN training is extremely hard. fail 1 test your on academic prohbation,fail another and your dropped from the course. you take alot of tests and have to score an 80% or better on every single one. your culmination to training is a LIVE NERVE GAS CHAMBER coated in VX gas,in which you (using your training and of course bio suit/mask) must decon a vehicle,a weapon and a radio without...well...dying.

i had quite a few CBRN friends while at leonardwood,they hated it,they where told that when they got to there units they would be teaching other Marines and units about bio/chemical agent attacks,safety,stuff like that they would be teaching but not actually handling any thing CBRN related.

as an Mp i can tell you,so far i am having alot of fun.i am currently at dog handler school after finishing MP school and can't wait to get to a unit. where not all garrison white cars and blue lights,there is a field aspect to what we do,as in convoy security/perimeter security/small unit action/ied detection/cordon and raids. you should do a little research about it before you listen to your recruiter or anyone else who doesn't hold the field.

"I really want something towards the Front. I want atleast one firefight"

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    If you don't have anything intelligent to say DON"T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!! That was one of the stupidest comments I've ever seen on this board. When you are a police officer will you want to get just one officer involved shooting? You need to grow up!

I think you misunderstood somehow. I didnt say "just" meaning only 1, I said "atleast" meaning,well just that.

Thread Information