1st class swim qual
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st class swim qual

Does anyone have a link to the 1st class swim qualification test?

Combat Water Survival/Qualification Standards and Test Procedures

The following qualification standards and test procedures are applicable to Marine Corps combat water survival training. All testing procedures for will be accomplished while wearing full combat gear unless otherwise stated. Full combat gear will consist of boots, utilities, helmet, flack jacket, H-harness, cartridge belt, two magazine pouches, two full canteens with covers, rubber rifle, and a standard 40-pound pack, with frame, which has been properly waterproofed. Gas mask, first-aid kit, magazines, sopor mats, and sleeping bags will not be used during testing or training.

Combat Water Survival, Third Class (CWS3)

To qualify Marines as CWS3 involves teaching and testing. Emphasis is on personal survival under combat situations and while on maneuvers. Teaching occurs throughout instruction/evaluation.

# Enter shallow water (minimum 1 m) with weapon and wearing full combat gear.

# Walk 20 meters in shallow water (minimum 1 m waist deep) with weapon at port arms and wearing full combat gear

# Walk 40 meters in chest deep water wearing full gear and weapon (weapon slung around neck) using a modified breaststroke arm movement and modified combat stroke leg movement (bicycle stroke).

# Travel for 40 meters in deep water (over the head) with full gear and weapon.

# Enter water from height of 5 feet using the modified abandon ship technique, into deep water with full gear and weapon (weapon inverted at sling arms), travel 10 meters, remove pack, and travel 15 meters with pack and weapon.

# Jump from minimum height of 8 feet (maximum of 15 feet) using the abandon ship technique wearing utilities and boots only and travel 25 meters using either a beginner swimming stroke (on front or back) or demonstrating a basic knowledge of any survival stroke or combination thereof. This info is available in the USMC PT Guide.

Combat Water Survival, Second Class (CWS2)

Develop skill level to be able to assist a wounded Marine to safety as in a river crossing. Must have completed CWS3.

# Uniform will be full combat gear and contents of pack will be waterproofed.

# With full combat gear minus pack, swim 50 meters in deep water, with weapon slung across back (muzzle down).

# Wearing full combat gear, perform 25 meter collar-tow on passive "victim" similarly dressed, simultaneously towing two packs and two weapons (secured to packs). Packs my be used for floatation devices for "victim".

Combat Water Survival, First class (CWS1)

Demonstrate ability to rescue yourself, assist a victim/distressed swimmer to safety, and survive under adverse situations. Must have completed CWS2. Steps will be executed in sequence wearing only the utility uniform. Uniform will be utilities only (no boots).

Survival strokes: Properly demonstrate the following:
    # 25 meters breaststroke

# 25 meters sidestroke

# 25 meters elementary backstroke

# Rescues: Dry land drill, water demonstration, and student practice time of all three rescues. Students must properly demonstrate each rescue for qualification, utilizing ease-in entry technique with victim 5 meters away. Victims are passive during carry or tow.

# Front head hold escape, front surface approach, wrist tow for 25 meters.

# Rear head hold escape, rear approach, double armpit tow, cross-chest carry for 25 meters.

# Double wrist grip escape, swimming assist to the front.

# Swim 250 meters using one or a combination of survival strokes.

Water Survival Qualified (WSQ)

Successful completion of CWS1 and the following procedures are prerequisites for WSQ.

# Splash Recover Technique. Swim underwater 10 meters, on the surface 40 meters in simulated burning oil spill situation. Uniform will be utilities and boots.

# Abandon ship technique; enter water from a height greater than 8 ft but less than 15 ft.

# Without surfacing, swim 10 meters.

# Using splash technique, go to surface.

# Remain on surface, use modified breaststroke splashing technique, and swim 40 meters.

# Enter water full combat gear from a minimum height of 8 ft (max 15 ft), using abandon ship technique (weapon inverted at sling arms).

# Remove pack, assume a reconnaissance position utilizing the pack, traverse 25 meters simulating sighting in and engaging enemy on either flank.

# Tread water or survival float in deep water with utilities and boots for 30 mines without artificial floatation. Boots will be removed after 5 min. and retained. Five min. prior to completion of the 30 min float, and without exiting from the water, replace the boots and swim 500 meters using one or a combination of survival strokes.

# Trouser inflation/back float for 1 min.

Flight Status Personnel

Personnel assigned/pending assignment to flight status are required to qualify at a minimum of CWS1 (first class). This is a one-time requirement, and is the prerequisite for follow-on swim training. Normal water survival training will continue thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Combat Water Survival/Qualification Standards and Test Procedures

The following qualification standards and test procedures are applicable to Marine Corps combat water survival training. All testing procedures for will be accomplished while wearing full combat gear unless otherwise stated. Full combat gear will consist of boots, utilities, helmet, flack jacket, H-harness, cartridge belt, two magazine pouches, two full canteens with covers, rubber rifle, and a standard 40-pound pack, with frame, which has been properly waterproofed. Gas mask, first-aid kit, magazines, sopor mats, and sleeping bags will not be used during testing or training.

Combat Water Survival, Third Class (CWS3)

To qualify Marines as CWS3 involves teaching and testing. Emphasis is on personal survival under combat situations and while on maneuvers. Teaching occurs throughout instruction/evaluation.

# Enter shallow water (minimum 1 m) with weapon and wearing full combat gear.

# Walk 20 meters in shallow water (minimum 1 m waist deep) with weapon at port arms and wearing full combat gear

# Walk 40 meters in chest deep water wearing full gear and weapon (weapon slung around neck) using a modified breaststroke arm movement and modified combat stroke leg movement (bicycle stroke).

# Travel for 40 meters in deep water (over the head) with full gear and weapon.

# Enter water from height of 5 feet using the modified abandon ship technique, into deep water with full gear and weapon (weapon inverted at sling arms), travel 10 meters, remove pack, and travel 15 meters with pack and weapon.

# Jump from minimum height of 8 feet (maximum of 15 feet) using the abandon ship technique wearing utilities and boots only and travel 25 meters using either a beginner swimming stroke (on front or back) or demonstrating a basic knowledge of any survival stroke or combination thereof. This info is available in the USMC PT Guide.

Combat Water Survival, Second Class (CWS2)

Develop skill level to be able to assist a wounded Marine to safety as in a river crossing. Must have completed CWS3.

# Uniform will be full combat gear and contents of pack will be waterproofed.

# With full combat gear minus pack, swim 50 meters in deep water, with weapon slung across back (muzzle down).

# Wearing full combat gear, perform 25 meter collar-tow on passive "victim" similarly dressed, simultaneously towing two packs and two weapons (secured to packs). Packs my be used for floatation devices for "victim".

Combat Water Survival, First class (CWS1)

Demonstrate ability to rescue yourself, assist a victim/distressed swimmer to safety, and survive under adverse situations. Must have completed CWS2. Steps will be executed in sequence wearing only the utility uniform. Uniform will be utilities only (no boots).

Survival strokes: Properly demonstrate the following:
    # 25 meters breaststroke

# 25 meters sidestroke

# 25 meters elementary backstroke

# Rescues: Dry land drill, water demonstration, and student practice time of all three rescues. Students must properly demonstrate each rescue for qualification, utilizing ease-in entry technique with victim 5 meters away. Victims are passive during carry or tow.

# Front head hold escape, front surface approach, wrist tow for 25 meters.

# Rear head hold escape, rear approach, double armpit tow, cross-chest carry for 25 meters.

# Double wrist grip escape, swimming assist to the front.

# Swim 250 meters using one or a combination of survival strokes.

Water Survival Qualified (WSQ)

Successful completion of CWS1 and the following procedures are prerequisites for WSQ.

# Splash Recover Technique. Swim underwater 10 meters, on the surface 40 meters in simulated burning oil spill situation. Uniform will be utilities and boots.

# Abandon ship technique; enter water from a height greater than 8 ft but less than 15 ft.

# Without surfacing, swim 10 meters.

# Using splash technique, go to surface.

# Remain on surface, use modified breaststroke splashing technique, and swim 40 meters.

# Enter water full combat gear from a minimum height of 8 ft (max 15 ft), using abandon ship technique (weapon inverted at sling arms).

# Remove pack, assume a reconnaissance position utilizing the pack, traverse 25 meters simulating sighting in and engaging enemy on either flank.

# Tread water or survival float in deep water with utilities and boots for 30 mines without artificial floatation. Boots will be removed after 5 min. and retained. Five min. prior to completion of the 30 min float, and without exiting from the water, replace the boots and swim 500 meters using one or a combination of survival strokes.

# Trouser inflation/back float for 1 min.

Flight Status Personnel

Personnel assigned/pending assignment to flight status are required to qualify at a minimum of CWS1 (first class). This is a one-time requirement, and is the prerequisite for follow-on swim training. Normal water survival training will continue thereafter.
    No MOS now requires CWS1 because they cant do it in boot camp anymore. Cause I would already be CWS1. But now I am going for CWS1 and then right after CWSQ

Why are you not allowed to qualify CWS1? Time

sorry, are time restrictions why you can not qualify?

I don't know when that went into effect. I was able to do CWS1 in boot camp. Just about everyone was at least CWS2. While the people were learning how to go from 3 to 2 (that were not able to the first time) we were allowed to test for 1.

Regardless, unless your MOS requires it there isn't any real reason you have to have it. As long as you're qualified you're good to go for most jobs.

you can not qualify CWS1 because some recruit almost drowned so they do not do that anymore

That is too bad. But still, it won't take you more than a day to get it when you get to MOS school is you need it. If not, you'll have to wait a while because you don't go to the pool often in the fleet- only when your current qualification is going to expire.

Actually depending on your unit you can go to the pool until you can not go any further.

Millar, there are some that are like that. But, any unit I was ever a part of would only send you when you needed to qualify. Once you were sent to the pool you could go as far as you wanted. To go when you didn't have to go was difficult, usually a result of someone owing you a favor!

No not really, i am on the t.o. to go to the pool because I told my SNCOIC that i wanted to go all the way so he is sending me to the pool to do just that.

CWS-1 is just like being drowned thats why they don't do it in boot, if someone drowns they news will flip. When i did it i had the worst hang over in my life.

I am still waiting to do my CWS-1 and then after I pass it I will do CWS-Q, yeah I am going all the way

So they dont do CWS1 In bootcamp? I have a contract for UZ/ 0321 and am required to get a CWS1, If I dont I then get switched over to Infantry (which I have no problem except I want the Recon Position).

No, they do not do CWS-1 in boot anymore. Because of the reasons I have written above.

Thread Information