ASVAB Scores & MOS (Poolee directed) - Page 43
Create Post
Page 43 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    no we are not getting all four its just what we want I really want 0317 i have 03xx and I know i dont have it yet and I will get it. I only talk like I have it cause if there is any doubt in my mind that I wont get it I wont.

On my contract the only thing I can be assuming I pass BRC is 0321. Which I beleive all not regular infantry(all who dont do recon, MCSF etc) go 0311 since they will not be staying on a regular infantry MOS.

Quote Originally Posted by RBrouse View Post
    I am taking classes for my credits right now so i'll come out a PFC, and I've been around guns all my life so I'm not to woried about the expert rifle. But I've only shot bolt action rifles. I've been around guns all my life so I'm not to woried about the expert rifle. Also on a side note, My greatest shot set of all time was at about 800 yards 5 shots, all hit the target. I shot that with my buddy's grandpa's Elephant rifle. my shoulder was bruised for a month after shooting that lol
    I may get lucky in weaving my web. Thanks to JROTC and getting my referals I will grad LCPL or CPL(if I get honor grad) with recruiting assistance I will gain a good bit of points towards another promotion. Being around guns doesnt mean youll make the cut. An elephant gun I beleive is a 50 cal. we shoot much smaller bullets and makes it harder to hit targets and moving targets. Also the Marine Corps doesnt care if you shot a gun or how you learned to shoot you will do it their way at boot camp which may change your skills. I was taught by my father how to shoot which may make it easier on me him being the Marine he was. Bolt rfles in way of SS school gives you some advantage. Just keep in mind things may change according to the situation and shooting this isnt a public range my friend.

Something my dad told me is during range week keep track of your sight logs and log everything in your range book they give you. My dad in recruit training had his sights screwed up and had he not logged his numbers may not have rated S Sniper or been able to do everything he did. Details my friend can make or take your career.

ya I know shooting right now dosnt mean **** but I already have some experience and I'm danm proud of shooting that well all the other people either completly missed or hit it once or twice I was the only one to hit it all five times and it was my first time shooting that gun. also how many referals do you have to come out a LCPL

Then talk like its something you're working for. I understand being hopeful but ultimately its not up to you at this point in time. Whats up to you is making sure you get that expert on your rifleman qualification and getting first class on your PFT. Everyone wants to be a 0317. After you come out of basic with what you need, then you worry about your scout sniper course. Worry about separating yourself from the other scout sniper wannabes. At this point that's all you can do. There's more to it than wanting to be a sniper. First you have to want to be the best most physically fit rifleman you can be, then if you're lucky then your aspirations will fall into place. We're not even Marines yet. Worry about getting there, not about being there.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogsSon269 View Post
    I may get lucky in weaving my web. Thanks to JROTC and getting my referals I will grad LCPL or CPL(if I get honor grad) with recruiting assistance I will gain a good bit of points towards another promotion. Being around guns doesnt mean youll make the cut. An elephant gun I beleive is a 50 cal. we shoot much smaller bullets and makes it harder to hit targets and moving targets. Also the Marine Corps doesnt care if you shot a gun or how you learned to shoot you will do it their way at boot camp which may change your skills. I was taught by my father how to shoot which may make it easier on me him being the Marine he was. Bolt rfles in way of SS school gives you some advantage. Just keep in mind things may change according to the situation and shooting this isnt a public range my friend.

Something my dad told me is during range week keep track of your sight logs and log everything in your range book they give you. My dad in recruit training had his sights screwed up and had he not logged his numbers may not have rated S Sniper or been able to do everything he did. Details my friend can make or take your career.
    I thought the highest you could come out was LCPL. College credits/JROTC/referrals only get you to PFC and then you can only get one promotion coming out of basic.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I scored 65 on my first time, I am going into the Motor-T field on the reserves, I also got on paper that I am going to the Army Airborne school because my Unit will be 4TH ANGLICO and jumpers are needed there. .
    I am leaving to boot camp in October 18th 2010, I already got my acceptance to USF (University of South Florida) and will be attending NROTC (Marines Option).
    When I become an officer, I want to do Intel or infantry because I think my knowledge with all the Arabic dialects in the middle east would be a great benefit for the Marine Corps and would honor me way more to put it to practice for the Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDWho View Post
    I thought the highest you could come out was LCPL. College credits/JROTC/referrals only get you to PFC and then you can only get one promotion coming out of basic.
    thats what i thought as well. and i am trying to be the most physicly fit person i can be i am training harder than i ever have before including all the training for two high school sports i went through.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you guys are seeing in your contracts, but what you sign puts you in a job category, not necessarily a particular MOS. Its sort of nuts seeing other poolees talk about their MOS. What's even worse is poolees who just qualify for jobs and are already acting like they have it. I understand that if you're considering a certain MOS and want to talk about it, that's fine, but please, even if you sign on your MOS thats just the first two numbers of what you're actually going to be doing. Then after that MOSes are assigned on the needs of the Marine Corps. Was that just my contract? If anyone is getting all four numbers please let me know so i can go have a talk with my recruiter.

Majority of the people in this thread know that - no need to be a punk about it. We all talk about what occupational field we're signed into, but a lot of us post our "wishlist", or what we hope we end up as in that field. The only kids who get to pick they specific military occupational specialty are reservists.

And if you want to get really technical, the way the contracts work and the way that a lot people think they work, is completely different. If you actually look at the contracts, they show exactly what jobs you can end up in by signing that contract - some of them aren't in the same numbered field (i.e., 13XX) but they are jobs with similarities.

For example, my previous BA(F) contract contained a job in Avionics (63xx, 64xx) but also a job in Aviation Logistics (66XX). My CM(F) contract contains 1371 (Combat Engineer), but also contains a Utilities (11xx) occupation, and 1345 (Engineer Equipment Operator) which I don't even qualify for since I'm an inch too short. B6? Has just about every ground element MOS you can think of - Infantry, Combat Engineer, Military Police, Field Artillery - but it also has things like Logistics occupations, Ordinance and Tanks. The only ones that aren't like that are the UZ, UV, UT contracts and few others which actually contain a specific field like Infantry, Military Police and Corrections, or what-have-you.

Anyhow... Yes, women can be Combat Engineers (1371), they've just gotta' have an MM score of 95 or higher (mine was 119), and get a 2nd class CWS swim qualification. Just like anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogsSon269 View Post

Um. Nobody graduates as a Corporal from boot camp, no matter what, you will not come out as an E-4, and you are not guaranteed Lance Corporal even if you're honor grad... I'm just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by RBrouse View Post
    ya I know shooting right now dosnt mean **** but I already have some experience and I'm danm proud of shooting that well all the other people either completly missed or hit it once or twice I was the only one to hit it all five times and it was my first time shooting that gun. also how many referals do you have to come out a LCPL
    Two referrals will only get you to PFC. Nothing you do before boot camp will get you Lance Corporal - the only way is to go in as a contract PFC, then get meritoriously promoted. You're not going to get contracted in anything higher than PFC, even if you're prior service.

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Hands View Post
    Two referrals will only get you to PFC. Nothing you do before boot camp will get you Lance Corporal - the only way is to go in as a contract PFC, then get meritoriously promoted. You're not going to get contracted in anything higher than PFC, even if you're prior service.
    ya thats what i thought thank you I'll just keep pluging away with my credits then

Majority of the people in this thread know that - no need to be a punk about it. We all talk about what occupational field we're signed into, but a lot of us post our "wishlist", or what we hope we end up as in that field. The only kids who get to pick they specific military occupational specialty are reservists.

And if you want to get really technical, the way the contracts work and the way that a lot people think they work, is completely different. If you actually look at the contracts, they show exactly what jobs you can end up in by signing that contract - some of them aren't in the same numbered field (i.e., 13XX) but they are jobs with similarities.

For example, my previous BA(F) contract contained a job in Avionics (63xx, 64xx) but also a job in Aviation Logistics (66XX). My CM(F) contract contains 1371 (Combat Engineer), but also contains a Utilities (11xx) occupation, and 1345 (Engineer Equipment Operator) which I don't even qualify for since I'm an inch too short. B6? Has just about every ground element MOS you can think of - Infantry, Combat Engineer, Military Police, Field Artillery - but it also has things like Logistics occupations, Ordinance and Tanks. The only ones that aren't like that are the UZ, UV, UT contracts and few others which actually contain a specific field like Infantry, Military Police and Corrections, or what-have-you.

Anyhow... Yes, women can be Combat Engineers (1371), they've just gotta' have an MM score of 95 or higher (mine was 119), and get a 2nd class CWS swim qualification. Just like anybody else.
    That's the problem though. Poolee's are posting wish lists without understanding that they are simply wishlists. There's all this talk of going recon, scout sniper, and all these other MOSs, and without proper explanation poolees think they're just going to pick up these MOSs just because they qualify. We're less worried about what it is going to take to get there and more worried about what we're going to do. There's a certain carelessness in the way people toss around jobs in this forum. None of us are Marines yet, I just think its a little ignorant to talk about what we plan on doing with such certainty when on the contract paper it says that no particular job is promised to us. And just like you said, a lot of people on this board don't understand how the contracts actually work. There's too much "I want" and not enough "I'm willing to do".

That's the problem though. Poolee's are posting wish lists without understanding that they are simply wishlists. There's all this talk of going recon, scout sniper, and all these other MOSs, and without proper explanation poolees think they're just going to pick up these MOSs just because they qualify. We're less worried about what it is going to take to get there and more worried about what we're going to do. There's a certain carelessness in the way people toss around jobs in this forum. None of us are Marines yet, I just think its a little ignorant to talk about what we plan on doing with such certainty when on the contract paper it says that no particular job is promised to us. And just like you said, a lot of people on this board don't understand how the contracts actually work. There's too much "I want" and not enough "I'm willing to do".
    You make a good point, granted, any military forum you go on or anytime you bring up a conversation about the military, somebody is bound to bring up something involving special forces or some other "hardcore" MOS, like Scout/Sniper, Sapper, etc. Everybody wants to go MARSOC, everybody wants to be a SEAL, or a Ranger, or Pararescue. People want to feel special; a unique and original snowflake, just like everybody else.

After a while you learn to disregard this kind of stuff. Majority of the people wanting Infantry contracts wont get them because everybody wants them. A lot of the people who even get an opportunity to go to the indocs for Recon, MARSOC, or Scout/Sniper wont make it - I know a ****-hot Marine that went to the Scout/Sniper indoc, and didn't make it because he got hurt, he's one of the recruiters at my RSS.

I say, let people hope and dream; if they make it, then they talk the talk and walk the walk all they want. We all just have to remember, as poolees, we ain't nothin' until we earn that title anyway.

I say, let people hope and dream; if they make it, then they talk the talk and walk the walk all they want. We all just have to remember, as poolees, we ain't nothin' until we earn that title anyway.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by dionna23 View Post
    Hey, I got an intel job. buht i just got it a few weeks ago. if you really want one you're gonna have to PUSH your recruiter. Originally i wanted a job in crypto but i would have been just as satisfied with intel and i finally got it. the DLAB was soo hard! its this crazy made up language. BUT i passed it. the guy who took it the same time i did got like a 109 or something lol. he did really well.. but he wasn't joining the corps.

Hey thxs thats great to know. ill really get on it. uit really mean s a lot and to get an intel job. Ill post on what i get when i found out

Thread Information