Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 12
Create Post
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Who Remembers Dog Patch

I sure do remember Dog Patch. Drove through it quite often in '69 & '70. Never actually stopped there since a dude I went through boot camp with was an MP at Freedom Hill. He often told stories about Jarheads getting arrested. So, I did not want him catching me.
    I spent a lot of time at Freedom Hill cause I was the CO's driver with Echo arty battery/5th Marines at An Hoa. Also drove a duce & a half!

Dogpatch Condo's?

Hey Dave,
    I'm getting ready to retire pretty soon and the Dogpatch area always had a nice mountain view. Close to the Gulf too for swimming. It's probably a lot nicer now without "Puff" raining down steel every night, the New Jersey lobbing shells overhead and the gooks firing those bloody rockets out of the paddies. Maybe I'll go back in 2010 and check if they're ready to sell some condo's. Location, location, location, and probably pretty cheap.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMarine View Post
    I do. It was the vill below Hill 317. In fact I was just there in March. It has CHANGED, very nice homes all with address plaques, paved street.lights, etc.

Spent 2 weeks in RVN, Khe Sanh, DaNang, An Hoa, Hoa An, Chu Lai, Hue, Phu bai, Con Thien, Gio Linh, cam Lo, Street W/O Joy, Mai Loc, Hia Lang Pass, Rockpile, Route 9, Camp carroll, camp Evans, dong Ha, Quang Tri, Hills 10, 25, 37, 41, 52,
    55, 65, China Beach,, Red Beach, Hanoi, Marble MT, libertty Bridge, Antenna valley, Arizona Territory, Hue, Ho Che Minh Trail, a Shau valley, Lang Vei,

I got dirt from each location.

I plan to return in 2010 and future years to remember and commerate. If anyone is interested in returning please let me know.

Dave Schiel
    dapasc@imonmail.com

Bob Hope Show Xmas 1968

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post
    Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
    Jim
    I remember walking back to MAG 11 through dog patch in mass with other marines after the Bob Hope Show let out Xmas 1968. Yes dog patch was off limits, but walking was quicker than waiting for a duce and a half. The locals watch us pass in awh. Anyone else remember that day?

Semper Fi

Ahh, yeah. If you were a Marine, and you contracted a social disease, then you remember Dog Patch.

I was sent to NCO SCHOOL in Danang and as a grad exercise we ran a patrol out a Red Beach gate and through parts of the ville. The *****s thought it was the skivie run of the century . . .

Was there outside of Da Nang on a hill with 3rd Motors,along side us was 3rd tanks< 3rd amtracs and 3rd Ontos. We could see every thing up there. I was the comm chief and our radios were in a concrete french fort. Anyone from 3rd motors,especially comm section? Drove thru many times in early 66 but never stopped. Moved 3rd div north mid 66.

I remember Dog Patch!! did a lot of ****ing there. wasn't closed off in 66-67

I'm about to return after 42 years. will be going back this month (Oct). Hanoi, Da Nang, Sigon

was stationed at the ammo dump. on 327

Good Luck on the return to RSV.

Quote Originally Posted by pfotoguy View Post

I'm about to return after 42 years. will be going back this month (Oct). Hanoi, Da Nang, Sigon

I went back a few years ago, will never forget the trip, stay at the Rex in saigon if you can, 5 star Hotel and pretty inexpensive. Da Nang has changed considerably, I tried to locate where I was during Tet and could not find it until I spoke to a Young lad who told me that his Uncle told him that DaNang changed 3 or 4 times since the War, everything is built so cheaply that it just falls down after ten years or so.
    I'll go back again thats for sure.
    GFood luck
    Mike sweeney 3rd MP's at the west side of Hill 327

Quote Originally Posted by pfotoguy View Post

Hey pfotoguy! Do I perhaps know you?? I was also an ammo tech stationed at asp-1 from April 1966 until January 1967.
    Small world I am going back to Da Nang also! This coming May 2009.

I'm putting together a site dedicated to ASP-1 and have some pics of the Ammo Dump and some of Dogpatch. If you want Check it out Here. For the present I have only photos and very little dialogue. I hope to have the dialogue completed before my upcoming trip to the States next month, Nov. 4. I'll be in the States for 3 months then back to Holland where I'm living. I hope to get back a bunch of photos I have on loan to my old local Marine Corps League. When I do I'll scan them and put them on my site Before going back to Viet Nam. I'll post the then and now pics on my site when I'm back.

Lastly a Hello to all here I am looking foward to some interesting reading.

Semper Fi

Mike Dybus

PS So pfotoguy Do We Know Each Other?

Hello, I looked at your web sight but sorry to say the picture wasnt familure. I was there during that time.

I used to have 100s of pictures but right after I got back someone broke in to my house and stole everything. so I have none left.

OK update:
    THERE STILL IS A DOGPATCH!!! but it's not the same. the hill has been taken over by the Vietnames army and is blocked off now. there was a small dirt road going (somewhere) up towards the hill but it was impassabale at the time.
    I didn't get any new pics either. It was raining so hard you couldn't hardly see out of the car windows. Hope you have better luck.

Do you remember Sgt Boo. a rather rotuned black man that was a hell of a good guy. I got laid up in camp with boils fore a few days and he always brought me food from the chow hall.

To be honest I dont remember to much about those days anymore.
    Had PTSD for a number of years but we're past that now.

hope you have a good trip. add some more pics to your website if you can the effort is appreciated.

simper fi

BTW my name is Bill Sutton

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    anyone remember the railroad bed with no tracks on it....real corse gravel an not real nice to hump on.....made many trips up and down them...in que son vally...all i remember about dog patch is walking past it to catch a chopper back to ross...and a few storys from some skaters in our outfit

be safe good people

pfotoguy,

Too bad about the rain! I was wondering about the monsoons when you said you were going to be there in October. When I go over in May I'll be sure to post the "Now" Dogpatch photos.

I cannot remember your name, 40 + years erodes the memory. but if you want to reminisce about the dump let us not hijack this topic but do it at the ASP-1 topic I started or email me with one of my links.
    Nice to meet you Bill

Tripler is professional and a team effort (May 8th 2008).

At Tripler Army Medical Center Honolulu, Hawaii I had the best profession teams available for both my heart attack in March of 2008 and both carotid artery procedures. The left side carotid artery was photographed at my request by one of the many attending doctors in the operating room -- Bottom right view of diseased vascular wall.

Left Carotid Artery - 3 hours

The opening: Carotid artery surgery is a surgical procedure to restore adequate blood flow to the brain.

Artery was badly diseased.

Dr. Kellicut did not actually remove the wall of the artery. The plastic tube "shunt" is to allow blood to continue flowing to the brain while they removed the atherosclerotic plaque. The scares on both sides of the neck are matching "cosmetic" nothing more than a thin lines, and to close they use glue, not stitching. As you can plainly see these doctors are beyond medically trained modern and gifted and ready to perform their much needed tasks. Now both my arteries are cleaned and I am good to go for decades. More likely than not this Vascular damage was attributed to the use of tobacco produces or in second hand smoke conditions. Furthermore, Tripler’s doctors took care of my heart attack in March of this year with the placement of two stents.

Picture four, clarifications and typos.

Actually, Dr. Kellicut used a combination of stitches and glue. The stitches go under the skin and the glue seals the skin closed. One typo also. The scares on both sides of the neck are matching, should read "The scars on both sides of neck are matching".

There is a lot of base line 1965/66 Danang and some dusty Chu Lai, Dog Patch, Hai Van Pass, Marble Mountain, Hill 55, Monkey Mountain, etc resting here in these veins.

Thread Information