Vetting Process
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vetting Process

Vetting Process

I think that we need one. Another forum that I am a member of has the vetting process and I think it's an outstanding idea. With the amount of posers out there, it's all too easy to come onto a site like this and create a fake profile.

I second that.

Been asking for it for years,, good luck.

Semper Fi

How? How do we accomplish it? Plus, we also have wannabees/friends etc...so how do we do the vetting while still allowing them to come in and do this as well?

I'm open to suggestions and not shooting down the idea...but this has to be 'workable' for everyone as well as 'user friendly'.

The way it is done at the other site is that there was an assigned person that was in charge of vetting all newcomers who joined the site, if they wanted to be vetted. Those individuals that chose to be vetted then sent in either a scanned copy of their DD214, or a copy of their military ID. Members that were vetted, would then receive a small tab under their icon showing that they have been vetted. I'll shoot you a PM with the website I am referring to, so that you can see what I'm talking about.

I understand that a lot of work would have to go into this...I just think it would eliminate some of the things that I read people on this board saying that raise red flags in my mind.

DD214's can be uploaded from the internet and made to say anything.A"scan" of a military I.D. is just as easy,15 minutes or less with photo shop and it would look as real as any authentic scans of an I.D.

Different methods are open for suggestion. That's just how they did it.

That's why the DD214 idea would have to be done by someone with knowledge and experience to know what they are looking at. For example, it would be impossible for a 19 year old LCpl today to be wearing an Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, or a Korean Campaign medal. It would also be impossible for a LCpl (or anyone else) to have a "Silver Star w/V for Valor".

Helll, we can't even get people to fill out their profile - I'd settle for that.

I agree. And I'm fast reaching the point of making it so all new members do, in fact, have to be 'vetted' prior to approval. The downside of that is, of course, with the mods pretty much being 'just me', it would mean I couldn't take the breaks I do now. And I don't know if I'm up for that, truth be told.

I too am a member on another site that you must be vetted. Anyone that is vetted might have a bit more credibility than somebody who isnt. Poolees, and family members would still be allowed access however they wouldnt have the 'vetted' tag. I would also include a thread or sub-forum for mandatory intros that way we know who you are if you are non-military, and where you have been if you are.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Covey_Rider View Post
    The way it is done at the other site is that there was an assigned person that was in charge of vetting all newcomers who joined the site, if they wanted to be vetted. Those individuals that chose to be vetted then sent in either a scanned copy of their DD214, or a copy of their military ID. Members that were vetted, would then receive a small tab under their icon showing that they have been vetted. I'll shoot you a PM with the website I am referring to, so that you can see what I'm talking about.

I understand that a lot of work would have to go into this...I just think it would eliminate some of the things that I read people on this board saying that raise red flags in my mind.
    Oh yeah, throwing around scanned DD214s into cyberspace is real good especially with all the sensitive data on them that can be used for identity theft. No thanks! Won't get mine I promise.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm not sure how that would work but I was a member of the Tail Hook site. While there isn't a vetting process they do charge a fee before you can even see a thread. I believe it's $45/year

By charging a fee, I believe it would keep the fools who are booted off here from starting a new new account as a separate entity. For every new account they make, they would have to pay a fee

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    Oh yeah, throwing around scanned DD214s into cyberspace is real good especially with all the sensitive data on them that can be used for identity theft. No thanks! Won't get mine I promise.
    The real personal info can be blacked out.

I think it raises the level of conversation when you can vet people. No more of this BS by the usual characters.

And, sure people can and will "doctor" information but at least you are stopping 90% of the clowns from putting on a show.

I, too, am a member where Covey is talking about and I had no qualms about submitting my dd214, cause I don't have anything to hide.

It can be done.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    The real personal info can be blacked out.

I think it raises the level of conversation when you can vet people. No more of this BS by the usual characters.

And, sure people can and will "doctor" information but at least you are stopping 90% of the clowns from putting on a show.

I, too, am a member where Covey is talking about and I had no qualms about submitting my dd214, cause I don't have anything to hide.

It can be done.
    The GOVERNMENT cannot even protect personal information. Just read the papers about FOUO info being lost, stolen or even misplaced each year. No thanks. Yeah, I have so much to hide. If and when that becomes mandatory here, I'll be gone.

Thread Information