In Need of Help from Marines who care for future Marines - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank You, Will do WMarine. and thank you to all Marines that replied

When I enlisted, I had a felony burglary conviction as a minor. I had plead guilty to make it easier on my parents. Details of the case aside, I ended up doing community service, attending a "victims awareness" class, and paying a fine.

In order to join, I had to get character references (I used a couple teachers and my employer at the time). I also had to convince a Colonel from the 12th District (via speaker phone, with a lot of other senior Marines listening in) that I deserved to try to become a Marine. I ended up coming in open contract (which means the Corps puts me in whatever MOS they want). Well worth the effort.

Your legal issues, combined with the tattoos, may cause more trouble than that, though.

Credits
    Savings
    Sounds like a plan, but all i want to do is 0311, wont be pleased to do anything else, i know now is not the time to be picky, but my father said open contracts is not what i want to be in at all. but we will see what happens, thank you for the info "erased"

To be quite honest, you may want to be a Grunt but when/if you actually get there you may quickly find yourself wishing you chose a different route. I was super hardcore all about being 0311 when I was coming in, ironicly once I got through track school and got to the fleet it took only 1 field op for me to see Grunts get tossed around in the back of my track, puke in their kevlars, and then go sleep in the dirt for me to realize that I was thankful to not be a Grunt.

Credits
    Savings
    I bet, but i am not a person who finds pleasure and comfort sitting on the side watching his fellow peers fighting and dieing for a cause greater than their own. plus i feel the need to know EXACTLY what is going on the frontlines, not hear it from the mainstream media, and other Marines/Soldiers, because everyone has their point of views. I need solid closure, i feel i can only achieve that, if i experience it myself. i am only speaking for myself, i am NOT saying Marines in different Mos's sit on the sides because they are scared or any other reason either,that is not the point in my messege.

Like the Sergeant said, a grunt is a very difficult MOS. It requires that you be in top physical condition. The mental wear and tear is tuff. All I'm saying is, make sure that you really want to be there. Keep trying and good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    will do, thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Nothing wrong with open contract. Myself and many, many others took that route. For me it led to being a grunt.
    Good luck

brosa...... What was your weapon of choice when these acts occurred and how long ago was your conviction?

Where there's a will there's a way!

brosa: I recognize I'm an old dinosaur now and the Corps has changed alot. I also was on a waiver when I enlisted at 17 for car theft. Fortunately my PO cancelled my probation or they never would have accepted me. I was also a high school drop out.
    Now here's a suggestion for whatever it's worth: as far as CHARACTER is concerned, one thing I'm sure that hasn't changed in the Corps is NEVER GIVING UP! Consequently DOCUMENT EVERYTHING you're doing in attempting to get in.
    As far as what YOU WANT to do once you're accepted, if you are- forget it! I simply wanted to be a Grunt also and look what happened. Didn't matter because the majority of my time in the field, including in Nam, I was with the Grunts. And regardless of what you may of heard they are the BACKBONE of the Marine Corps! Hope this helps-good luck to you. SF Airborne!

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Criminal History Waivers
    Some offenses can be waived, and others cannot. Different offenses require waiver approval at different levels in the recruiting chain-of-command.
    It's important to note that applicants who require a waiver ARE NOT qualified for enlistment, unless/until a waiver is approved. The burden is on the applicant to prove to waiver authorities that they have overcome their disqualifications for enlistment, and that their acceptance would be in the best interests of the Military. Waiver authorities will consider the "whole person" concept when considering waiver applications.

In general, waivers are required for:
    Individuals with ten or more minor traffic offenses, six or more serious traffic offenses, ten or more Class 2 minor non-traffic offenses, six or more serious non-traffic offenses, or more than one felony are not eligible for a waiver.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...minal.-um-.htm

Special Requirements for Substance Abuse:
    No drug-related waiver will be considered without a signed, complete copy of the Drug Abuse Screening Form.

Waivers will not be granted to non-prior service applicants who:

• a. Have a history of drug or alcohol dependency or addiction; or
      b. Have a court conviction for any drug offense (except simple possession of cannabis [30 grams or less], and steroids); or
      c. Admit to trafficking marijuana or other illegal drugs.
      (Note: "Trafficking" in drugs will be considered the unlicensed sale or trade of drugs for profit.) d. Applicants who have been disqualified for testing positive on the DAT at MEPS.
    Prior Service applicants who have received a court-martial, Nonjudicial Punishment (NJP), or discharge as a result of drug use or drug related offense (to include positive urinalysis) are not eligible for enlistment/ reenlistment. No waiver is authorized. Applicants who have received an Entry Level Separation as a result of drug use or drug related offense (to include positive urinalysis) require a mandatory 2 year wait. No waiver is authorized.

Convictions for possession of drug paraphernalia will be treated, for the purpose of an enlistment waiver, as if they were convictions for possession of the actual drug associated with the particular piece of paraphernalia.

The commanding officer of the recruiting station may waive the illegal use of prescription drugs prior to enlistment in the DEP when an applicant has been administered a prescription drug for medical purposes by a parent or person acting in the capacity of "loco parentis" when that drug has not been prescribed for the applicant. Examples include, but are not limited to, Valium and Tylenol III. All other illegal use of prescription drugs requires a waiver from the district commander.
    Each decision authority (e.g., the recruiter; NCOIC; the CO recruiting station; the CO, recruiting district; or the CG, recruiting region) may deem the extent of an applicant's pre-service drug involvement to be excessive and opt not to favorably endorse the applicant's waiver request thereby terminating processing.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...nal.-um-_3.htm
    Very true, some of these can be waived. For this kid though, he has had multiple charges regardless if you were convicted or not your still getting charged with criminal actions, and he has a BIG tattoo or tattoos. It will be very tough to get in. A recruiting station CO will have a very hard time signing off on that waiver and I actually can't imagine a CO sining off on your past and your tattoos. Especially when you got perfectly clean(by clean, I mean no tattoos or criminal history) and qualified applicants wanting to enlist. Don't get upset if a recruiter (yes, I'm a former recruiter myself) tells it like it is. Your saying he/she is lying, but because its not what you want to hear. If he/she is telling you to go to the Army there is probably a reason for that. There is nothing wrong with the Army if thats what you can qualify for. Your still serving this great nation. I enlisted a Marine who was prior service Army. He did not qualify for the Corps, he enlisted 2 years in the Army, after his 24 months were up he got a re-enlistment code of an RE-1a and he is a Marine today and still serving. He couldn't join the first time around because of some minor criminal action, and he only had a GED. He proved that he could make it in the military and that proof was an Army discharge paper with an RE-1a.

Credits
    Savings
    I am 19 at this moment, i commited the crime when i was 16. the weapon of my choice was a golf club.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice "Fasteropr"

You're entirely welcome young man. You're doing the honorable thing by admitting and taking responsibility for your actions. Ain't noone can ever take that from you. It's part of what I call integrity. We all make mistakes. I've made my share of em, I made PFC three times and got out a PVT. I didn't go in to be no general. I did go in for four years, and then 10 days before I was to get out I got extended. One of the lowest points in my life. You deal with the cards you're dealt. Again, at that time I could of went AWOL cause I sure the hey felt like it! But I wanted that Honorable Discharge. And even though the initial contract of 4 years was made with the US Government and then they unilaterally rescinded on me, it was just another case of putting up with it or throwing my prior time away and knowing someday I'd regret it. So you do what you have to do, it's entirely up to you! Like the earlier post from that recruiter, if you need to go into the Army for a couple years to "prove yourself", and you serve honorably, that's the course you'll have to take. I know two years seems like an eternity to you now, at your age, but remember that, again like an earlier post, serving our country is honorable irrespective of which branch. We each go through our own hell in our own way when we go into the service whichever branch it is. So hang in there and stay focused. Remember: IT AIN'T THE SIZE OF THE DOG IN THE FIGHT THAT COUNTS, IT'S THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE DOG!! By the way, I did get that Honorable. Good Luck. SF Airborne!

Quote Originally Posted by brosa114 View Post
    I am 19 at this moment, i commited the crime when i was 16. the weapon of my choice was a golf club.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice "Fasteropr"
    Are you still on probation? As mentioned, there are people wanting to join that doesn't have the added drama. If you are off probation, keep trying. Also as mentioned already though, the Army may be your best bet for now and then cross over to the Marines after a successfull enlistment.

Credits
    Savings
    yes i was only on probation for a year. I talked with an Army recruiter yesterday and they said all i need are character references and im good to go, but i still want to wait for the Marines to say yes or no. My Marine recruiter said he should have an answer by tomorrow from his station commander(i could be wronge on who exactly needs to review it) but as i recall he said something about his station supervisors. so im crossing my fingers that they will say yes. All in all thank you Marines for all your advice, encouragement and support.

Thread Information