Infantry vs. Intel
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Infantry vs. Intel

Hey Marines,
    I have been in the DEP for A week under a years do to me having a testicular tumor (I know right) but i have gotten cleared to join with out getting surgery (with surgery i most likely would not be able to join so i really might give a left nut for the honor of being a Marine). I was set on going in for 0231 Intel Analyst but recently have been debating going in as 0311 but the things that are stopping me are my soon to be fiance, and that there isn't to much to do after the corp other then security or be a cop. While 0231 I get a security clearance and can work for CIA FBI ect. I figured you guys have the wisdom and experience to help me better wiegh the options.

Also 0231 has its downs to sitting in an office which isnt bad but it is if i end up not enjoying what i do. I want to be a Marine so bad I dont really have many other options my family is to poor for me to go to school and i want the respect, honor, discipline, and mind-set that Marines carry with them and will do anything to become part of such a comendable institution known as the United States Marine Corps.

Lastly can 0231 be attached or anything to an infantry unit?

Thanks for any imput

-Abe

I wanted to go Intel myself because of the job factors afterwards, but unfortunately it wasn't available when I enlisted. So I went Communications.

Good luck to you.

Yes, I've seen 0231's attached/embedded with combat units, and other stuff. I can't tell you from personal experience, but it's probably done on a rotational basis, factoring needs of the Marine Corps, and your rank/maturity level...or simply the fact that you've done a pump or two with battalion and they want to attach you to someone else to get different experience. So, no promise of getting attached but it happens.

The majority of civilian jobs in the intelligence field are analyst base...so knowing the analytical software suites taught at MOS school will be good. You'll have to get a TS clearance, so hopefully you've been coloring within the lines for the last 18+ years and pass your background check.

The CIA and FBI, other major agencies, will conduct their own clearance investigation regardless of previous screenings. They'll probably have their own guys box you too.

Hope your comfortable with talking in front of people...you'll have to do a bunch of briefs in the schoolhouse.

Well good luck on your decision! Hopefully some 0231's and 0300's can buzz in or IM you to help you make your decision.

Every infantry battalion has their own intel analysts and their own S-2.

You seem to have a big misconception about grunts. Oh I forgot.... we are all just the bottom of the intelligence food chain so we can't do anything else but security or law enforcement. Guess thats why I work for the DOJ now. BULLSH1T. Some of the smartest people in the Corps are in the grunts. Grunts learn more about time and people management than probably any other MOS. Timelines are made for missions and have to be strickly enforced in order for all coordinations to happen when they are needed. Not saying we are the best at it but we do a damn good job. I have seen a lot of good Marines leave the Corps and land jobs in management simply because of their skills they learned while in the grunts. And other MOS's also. Just because you are a grunt doesn't mean the only job you are quailified for after your service is law enforcement. Most grunts go that route simply because they get to carry a gun (again) and it is the closest thing to combat a civilian will ever experience. Their Marine Corps training helps them stand out in the crowd.

Sure being in the Intel community will open a lot of doors for you when leaving the Corps but just being a good Marine will open a lot of doors also. People know that you will show up for work and not take the wimpy way out when you don't feel good. Employers can depend more on Marines than they can a plain ole civilian. Marines make good examples of what a citizen should be like and employeers like that.

Do what I'm planning on doing. I'm getting ready to head out to SOI, then BSG. I'm a 5-year Security Forces contract. 3 years SF, 2 years infantry, then I plan on re-enlisting and lat moving over to intel for 4-6 years.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    After paying Your Dues too America by serving as a U.S.Marine the Sky is the Limit as too what You can do or Become.Worse comes too worse You can always become a Movie Star or a Fucing Politician

Why is it that everyone who wants to go Intel wants to be a 0231? Why doesn't anybody want to be a 2600?

Scifguard I didn't know that was an option i was told by my recruiter i had to go in as 0231 and work my way up from there.

0331 2 0369 sorry for that i was always told those were the only options other then military contracting which i was told was hard to get into

Thanks everyone for the input
    my highest honor is disposed among you men known as marines

If you do choose to go Intel, then when your in third phase they'll take you out of the normal work day for a couple of hours and you will go talk to a guy who will give you a basic screening to see if you're basically qualified to be an Intel Marine. After that they'll tell you what MOS you've been assigned. I went in thinking I was going to be a 0231 but I left bootcamp to go train as a 2651. I graduated as a 2621.
    If you wanted to work with grunt units then you'll have plenty of opportunities to do so. We send a detachment to the Philippines every couple of months and they get to work with SEALs and Green Berets and the like. It might not be kicking in doors but to me, the sh!t that we do is the coolest thing in the world.

By the way, always capitalize Marines.

Thanks I'll look into it

yeah and sorry about the capitalization I usually do

I've gotta agree with 0331 2 0369. I'm no grunt, but I've worked with quite a few in my day. To generalize, they're A LOT smarter than given credit for. Mor importantly, however, infantry Marines seem to always be on the high end of the Marine Corps' version of "street smart." Give a grunt a mission (combat or not) and he's got the resources and tools to make it happen and make it happen darn well. This is true of most Marines, but grunts especially.

I started out as an 0311, my first choice. To reiterate what others have said, Infantry Marines CAN NOT be stupid. The popular misconception of the knuckle draggin grunt is completely WRONG. Some of the smartest Marines I ever knew, and had the pleasure to serve with, were Infantry Marines.

If you think 'grunts' are stupid, I'd bet these three Marines would have something to say about that:

James Webb

Wesley Fox

James Livingston

Two of my cousins were grunts the one served in Iraq. My point is there are both some of the most well rounded intelligent people I have met no doubt.

I never ment for it to seem like I was saying they arent smart that wasnt my intent at all far from it i commend any man who goes through what they go through.

Thread Information