MCRDSD new IST run time? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cfinch189 View Post
    if that's the case, he should change his title from "MCRDSD new IST run time?"
    oh, not the original poster. I was referring to BGW's post which the LCpl had referenced

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner614 View Post
    Who told you that?
    I'm from RS Oceanside
    The field commander of RSS Poway said so. He did not make a big announcment to all us poolees but i did over hear him talking to another poolee about the run time changing to 11:30 and so I asked him about it.

Yes, like JZfs720 said, that is what i meant. All poolees in the country that are going to MCRD San Diego will still continue being shipped and if they fail the run time at boot camp then they get couple more weeks of training in boot camp. (for get what that special platoon was called)

How ever, if your a poolee in San Diego and you can not get a run time below 11:30 before you ship off to boot camp. Then I gues they will not even alow you to ship. I am not sure if they are going to inforce that or what. Again thats from my understanding, seems kind of odd to me though. But I am not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JZfs720 View Post
    oh, not the original poster. I was referring to BGW's post which the LCpl had referenced
    My apologies, read that wrong.

I'm from RS National City in San Diego CA and the GySgt in charge of the office told me of the new time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb08 View Post
    I'm from RS National City in San Diego CA and the GySgt in charge of the office told me of the new time.
    National City? Is that GySgt Wayne you are talking about?

I still find it strange that they wouldn't tell other recruiters that the new required time at MCRD SD is 11:30. Cuz then you're gonna get all these poolees coming in that aren't up to snuff and the recruiters get in trouble for that I thought...Maybe people already shipping are gonna be "grandfathered" in?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb08 View Post
    Yes
    Dude that is freak in awesome! Gunny Wayne use to be my recruiter before he was transferred over to National City because he was getting his own command! Though I felt sad when he left, that guy is so funny.

It is not a new requirement at MCRD SD, only for all the RSS in San Diego. Do not worry about it if your not a poolee in San Diego. MCRD SD IST is still 13:30 minute latest run.

Ahh ok. Wording was a little funky.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf0259 View Post
    Ahh ok. Wording was a little funky.
    sorry, I guess I am not good at explaining these kinds of things

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    if they fail the run time at boot camp then they get couple more weeks of training in boot camp. (for get what that special platoon was called)
    It is the Physical Conditioning Platoon, otherwise known as PCP. If a recruit fails his IST, he will be put in PCP until he is able to make the minimum standards.

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    It is not a new requirement at MCRD SD, only for all the RSS in San Diego. Do not worry about it if your not a poolee in San Diego. MCRD SD IST is still 13:30 minute latest run.
    Ok, that makes more sense. If it is a policy of a recruiting station, that is understandable. That simply means the recruiters there want their poolees to be in better shape when they ship. It doesn't mean they won't eventually ship, it just means the Marines at the RSS will need to put in more work, making sure their poolees are up to snuff.

Like I said, I couldn't imagine the USMC would change the standards for one recruit depot and not the other. I don't have a problem lowering the minimum run time, but that would mean they would have to do it across the board. Not only that, but they would have to change the minimum PFT standards, as the IST is designed to closely replicate the PFT. Individual RSS's choosing to send poolees to boot camp who are in better physical condition is entirely different, and I have no problem with that.

What is the IST? I have been out since 1997 (0351- 2/7) Back then when we ran the PFT I ran the 3 miles in about 24 min. Has it change since?

Sgt, the IST is the "Initial Strength Test" that recruits take when they first arrive at boot camp. It is pullups (minimum two), a 1.5 mile run (minimum time of 13:30), and crunches (minimum 54, I think?).

We still take the PFT, but I suppose the Corps doesn't want recruits doing an actual PFT when they first arrive at boot camp? I'm not too sure why we have the IST, but it is really only for poolees and recruits to take (recruits only take it once).

It really has changed since I was in. We didn't have an IST in boot camp. Everything was get up and go. That was about 20 years ago. Man time flies when you are having fun. Enjoy Okinawa and get your SCUBA certification there. is alot much cheaper.

Thanks for the update on the IST.

Thread Information