Im now a Pool-ee
Create Post

Im now a Pool-ee

I have a few questions for anybody who can answer. I enlisted in the Delayed Entry Program and am scheduled to go to boot camp as of 20090217. My first pick was 0300 and second was 1300. They gave me my second pick which would be Engineer, Construction, Facilities, and Equipment. I'm under the impression that they will choose any field under that category for me? I guess my main question is what are my chances of getting my mos changed to infantry. My recruiter said it will be hard because of the fact that they have to wait for a "slot" to open up so I could fill it. So, with that being said..why wouldn't they just give me my first pick and push my date back a little bit in the first place if that job field was filled? I am a tool and die maker so more than likely the field they chose for me I think I will do well in because i have alot of experience in metal fabrication, machine tool functions, metalurgy...basically everything under the sun that has to do with manufacturing. So, I'm not saying I'm unhappy with my job they have givin me, I was just trying to get away from it and try something new, but.. theres always something new to learn. Either way im happy with my job. Just wondering what my chances were. Thanks

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Firstly, Congrats!

Secondly, yes, you are only set for a field, but you could be assigned any particular MOS in that field which you don't have total control over.

What you should have done is just not sign the contract until you got the job you wanted... But it seems like you aren't unhappy with the job you have at the moment either. The Marine Corps also wants to utilize your mechanical/shop skills, so it isn't unreasonable to give you 1300... I mean, you did choose it!

There is always time to switch your MOS (according to my recruiter at least) and hopefully yours won't just bully you into 1300. I am not sure if you can get your ship date moved for just that purpose though.

Don't sign your contract or ship until you get what you want.

They can push you ship date back, but there probly not going to tell you that. As a matter of fact, you have an entire year from the day you joined DEP to ship, and you can push it back at your discretion.

They have to meet certian numbers each month, so they probly want to get you out that month to meet there numbers. PROBLY. I can't say for sure.

If you want 0300, then insist on getting 0300. It is just December, there are infantry slots out there, make them get you one. If they say that have to push you back, then let them push you back. No reason to ship without getting the job you want to have.

What if I already signed 1300 at MEPS?

My recruiter said you have as many chances to change your contract as you want, but they start getting annoyed after the second or third time... so I think you are able to change your contract.

I think you would have a better chance switching to 0300 from 1300, than switching to 1300, from 0300. I would imagine it would'nt be to difficult. Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchell View Post
    I think you would have a better chance switching to 0300 from 1300, than switching to 1300, from 0300. I would imagine it would'nt be to difficult. Good luck!

How so? Is 1300 critical now?

I don't know this for fact PaidinBlood, I was just thinking along the lines of there maybe being more 0300 slots than 1300's, were it is a larger MOS. But I don't know, do you have more insight on that?

Credits
    Savings
    Just shootin' the ****, same as you. Hell I don't even know which field is bigger.

Yea me either. I would think Infantry is, but hell, I don't know. I guess either way that does'nt they have a slot open anyway.

Thread Information