Knowledge
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge

Knowledge

I just put together a little knowledge sheet, I thought it would be good to have it all in one place. It is pretty basic, but good to know before boot I guess.

11 GENERAL ORDERS OF A SENTRY

1. Take charge of this post and all government property in view.
    2. Walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
    3. Report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
    4. To repeat all calls [from posts]more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
    5. Quit my post only when properly relieved.
    6.To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Officer of the Day, Officers, and Non-Commissioned Officers of the guard only.
    7. Talk to no one except in the line of duty.
    8. Give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
    9. To call the Corporal of the Guard in any case not covered by instructions.
    10. Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
    11. Be especially watchful at night and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY/BIRTHPLACE FIRST COMMANDANT, CURRENT COMMANDANT/13th COMMANDANT:
    NOVEMBER 10 1775 TUN TAVERN PHILADELPHIA. CAPT. SAMUEL NICHOLAS/GENERAL JAMES T. CONWAY.
    13th COMMANDANT: LIEUTENANT GENERAL JOHN A. LEJUNE

MARINE CORPS HYMN:
    From the Halls of Montezuma
    To the Shores of Tripoli;
    We fight our country's battles
    In the air, on land and sea;
    First to fight for right and freedom
    And to keep our honor clean;
    We are proud to claim the title
    of United States Marine.

Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
    From dawn to setting sun;
    We have fought in ev'ry clime and place
    Where we could take a gun;
    In the snow of far-off Northern lands
    And in sunny tropic scenes;
    You will find us always on the job--
    The United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps
    Which we are proud to serve
    In many a strife we've fought for life
    And never lost our nerve;
    If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded
    By United States Marines.

RIFLE CREED:
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I WILL...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make.* We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. WE WILL...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    JIIIIIIIIIIIIM!!!!! Make it STOP PLEASE!!!!!!!

What do you mean make it stop?

What is the unoffical 12th General Order, Carlo?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    12. Walk my post from flank to flank and take no chit from any rank.

Semper Fi

when do you actually use our general orders?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWicks07
    when do you actually use our general orders?
    All the time in boot camp and every now and then in the Fleet ("Operating Forces"). Also when you move up in rank and get bored, you can "quiz" your Marines. When you are in the field, you realize that the General Orders make sense...

Quote Originally Posted by LOG4
    All the time in boot camp and every now and then in the Fleet ("Operating Forces"). Also when you move up in rank and get bored, you can "quiz" your Marines. When you are in the field, you realize that the General Orders make sense...
    How so? I mean for what in the field? patrols...What? I have a buddy who is a platoon Sergeant and he says i only need them in bootcamp

How so? I mean for what in the field? patrols...What? I have a buddy who is a platoon Sergeant and he says i only need them in bootcamp
    Okay, as a junior Marine, no matter what MOS you are, you will be pulled for extra duties like guard or whatever. Say you have a four-hour watch and at the fourth hour you realize your relief hasn't showed up. Well, just because you've been on duty for your time doesn't mean you can get up and leave. You can only quit your post only when properly relieved. That's when you start cursing... I've been in for over twelve years so far and I still use my General Orders. Yeah, you really use it in boot camp becuase you are tested on it. In the fleet you actually really apply it...

Quote Originally Posted by LOG4
    Okay, as a junior Marine, no matter what MOS you are, you will be pulled for extra duties like guard or whatever. Say you have a four-hour watch and at the fourth hour you realize your relief hasn't showed up. Well, just because you've been on duty for your time doesn't mean you can get up and leave. You can only quit your post only when properly relieved. That's when you start cursing... I've been in for over twelve years so far and I still use my General Orders. Yeah, you really use it in boot camp becuase you are tested on it. In the fleet you actually really apply it...
    thats the best advice i have ever heard.

Thanks! Here's another... and please remember it:

In the Marine Corps, it is easier to get into trouble than to stay out of it. If you're doing something and that little voice in your head is telling you "this just doesn't seem/feel right" then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

Pick the Marines you hang out with wisely.

Meaning no tijauna trips huh?

Well, you are only officially tested on them in bootcamp. They ALWAYS apply, however.

We always have firewatches, gear guards, gate guards, and other misc guards. If your platoon in the fleet goes to chow and leaves their packs staged outside, they'll leave a guard. The sergeant might say, "Pvt Schmuck, watch our gear." At that point, the GENERAL orders apply. That means if you fail to man your post, you can be punished by command for not following orders!

Also, if you had me for your squad leader, guess how I pick who 'volunteers' for police calls or duty sections? That's right. Fall in and prepare for inspection. I may quiz you on general or MOS knowledge. If you fail to remember your stuff, you'll find yourself picking up trash around the base or manning a desk on Saturday night.

Let me put it to you like this... There is nothing in TJ for you. TJ = Trouble. Not once in my twelve years have I gone to TJ. I've been asked a million times to go, but that little voice tells me it doesn't feel right. Marines (military personnel for that matter) are always getting into trouble there. Stay awa.

so memorize them now.....zgot it....What am i tested on at bootcamp? i heard they have written tests?

Thread Information