NFL legend visits K-Bay
Create Post

Cool NFL legend visits K-Bay

NFL legend visits K-Bay
    Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
    Story Identification Number: 200321419151
    Story by Sgt. Joe Lindsay

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(Feb. 4, 2003) -- From those playing in the game to NFL stars long since retired, the Pro Bowl brings football players together like no other sporting event this side of the Super Bowl.

And during their annual pilgrimage to Oahu for the game, many take the time out to say thanks to the men and women serving in the Armed Forces here.

But perhaps no visiting NFL player had as much stature as Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris, the former Pittsburgh Steelers and Super Bowl IX Most Valuable Player who sat down for lunch with service members from MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, Feb. 4 at the Windward Enlisted Club.

"It's good to see role models who have achieved greatness through hard work taking the time to acknowledge the Marines and Sailors here," said Staff Sgt. Mary Daniels, a Headquarters Bn., MCB Hawaii, orders management chief who attended the Harris luncheon along with her husband Staff Sgt. Rodney Daniels. "The message Mr. Harris gave, about putting your best foot forward no matter what, is an important one for service members, especially the younger Marines. It was a real honor for all of us to have him visit K-Bay."
    For his part, Harris said he was the one who felt honored.

"Being able to come here and be around Marines feels really good," said Harris, an integral part of four Steelers Super Bowl championship teams. "I am grateful for all that our service members do for our country. Each and every one of them is a hero in my book."

While most in attendance probably would admit they harbored fantasies of being a professional athlete during their youth, Harris had a confession of his own during the luncheon.

"I always wanted to serve in the military, but football took me down another path in life," said Harris, a Penn State University alumnus who was the 13th pick of the 1972 NFL draft. "My father served 22 years in the Army, and I've always felt a special tie to the military."

When Harris (now a successful businessman who runs his own company, Super Bakery, producing fortified bakery items) mingled with the Marines after the luncheon, he was, for the most part, greeted by die-hard Steelers fans, many of whom were from Pennsylvania. But, there were some notable exceptions.

"You made me cry when I was 11 years old," Chief Warrant Officer 3 Vincent Pope, Headquarters Bn., MCB Hawaii, range training facility officer-in-charge, and a native of Garland, Texas, told Harris, referring to the Steelers 35-31 victory over the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII.

All Harris could do was smile at Pope's words, but his grin seemed to say he relished the exchange.

"I was never a big Cowboy fan, as you can imagine," said Harris later. "In my whole career, we only lost to those guys once. It always felt good beating the so-called 'America's Team.'"

For Pope, meeting Harris was his way of paying respect to a worthy opponent.

"It was always an 'us vs. them' mentality when the Cowboys and Steelers played," said Pope. "But Harris always had our respect."

The respect for Harris goes far beyond the football field, as he has donated countless hours talking to youth and other groups with inspiring messages of hope.

"I'll never forget when Franco Harris came to our school to give a talk," said Kristopher Haloj, a former Marine and disabled veteran from the Bronx, N.Y., now pursuing his college degree on the GI Bill. "I was in seventh grade, a very impressionable age, and was on the verge of falling in with the wrong crowd.

"I don't know if it was a coincidence or what, but he spoke to us about choosing the right path and not giving in to peer pressure.

"I took his words to heart and look upon that day as a turning point in my life. Most of those guys I would have been friends with dropped out of school and are either dead now or in jail."

"His visit to K-Bay couldn't have been better timed," said Master Gunnery Sgt. James Jackson, an Anderson Hall food technician and native of Philadelphia, Pa. "We are on the brink of war, and to have him come here while units are deploying to show his support is a very moving gesture. It means a lot to all of us here."

Sergeant 1st Class Charles Jackson, a Schofield Barracks signal intelligence analyst said he couldn't agree more.

"With the war on terror in full swing, this visit was very patriotic of Franco Harris," said Jackson. "His coming here was a big morale boost for all service members serving in Hawaii."

When told of Jackson's words, and the appreciation of other service members for his visit, Harris let out a sigh before speaking.
    "People talk about athletes having a responsibility to give back to the community, and many do," said Harris. "But day in and day out, nobody gives more of themselves than service members."

Chief Warrant Officer 3 Vincent Pope, officer-in-charge of Headquarters Battalion, Facility and native of Garland, Texas, meets Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris of the Pittsburgh Steelers during a luncheon at the Windward Enlisted Club aboard MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, Feb. 4.
    Photo by: Sgt. Joe Lindsay

Hall of Fame running back Franco Harris of the Pittsburg Steelers talks with Sgt. Maj. Filipo Ilaoa, base sergeant major at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, over lunch at the Windward Enlisted Club, Feb. 4.
    Photo by: Sgt. Joe Lindsay

Pittsburgh Steelers legend Franco Harris shows the form that would later land him in the Hall of Fame as one of the most storied running backs in NFL history.
    Photo by: Courtesy of NFL

Sempers,

Roger

My son was there to see Mr. Harris and got me an autographed picture

Thread Information