I want to volunteer for Iraq...how can I change my Re-4?....
Create Post

I want to volunteer for Iraq...how can I change my Re-4?....

Hello and thank you to any who read this and are willing to share their advice. I enlisted in the USMC back in 1987 and was shipped out to NATTC Millington (Tennessee) after P.I.................I was fresh out of high school and had just turned 18 years old.........I mention this because I feel I was not prepared for the turn of events that occurred. Within a month of being there I met my future wife and the mother of my son. I say mother of my son because she was pregnant within three months and that was where my problems began. I let that crazy situation affect me and cloud my decision making. My young fiance and I thought that it was best if I could get out of the service and start our family there in Tennessee. I was wrong and have regretted that decision to this day but it is what it is. I requested a General Discharge OTH. They charged me with malingering, dereliction of duty and failure to properly display my chevrons. At the time I didnt care and just wanted out...............I was wrong and I understand that but since that time I raised my son (the marriage ended 7 years later) and put myself through college to earn both a BA and a Masters...............But with what is going on in our country and overseas I still want to do what I can and I feel I owe it to my country. I regret my immature decisions that I made over 18 years ago but the Army National Guard would have me if I could upgrade my General and the Re-4 code..........is this possible? Where should I start? Of course I would love it if the Corps would take me back even if as a Private but I dont think that will happen, so the National Guard it is. All I know is that I was an immature nervous kid trying to do what I thought was the right thing............and okay maybe the poontang might have had a large influence but I did the right thing as far as marriage and raising my son. So what do you think? Do I have a chance?...............Thank you so much...........And by the way, Parris Island is still one of the best experiences of my life.............

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    we will need more information to be able to help you. we do have people on this site that are able to look things up in the recruitment area. who knows maybe even back to the Corps. best of luck.

Okay

Thanks for your response..........so what further information do you need? Who should I contact and if it is any easier I can be reached at vsumma@aol.com..............thanks

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    first get your dd-214 and go talk to a prior service recruiter. see what he tells you. explain at that time in your like you were yound and dumb and full of cu* and were not thinking with the right head. explain to him that you have changed and things are differant now and that you DO want to get back in. be sincer with him and ask for his advise. i do think that with an RE-4 you might be able to get back in but it will take a blessing from CMC to do it. good luck and i do hope you get it. remember honor, corage commitment. Marines don't know the word can't. need anything else get me at:

reconjarhead@yahoo.com

VSUMMA, look on the web at Naval and USMC Reenlistment code RE-4. You will find forums there with every question thats been asked on the subject.
    The Marine Corps is like a good woman, divorce either without looking a piece down the road. Possibility with Pres Bush looking for a "Few More Good Men", DOD will rethink on a case by case basis and a wavier may be approved. Good luck. Semper Fi!

You can request an upgrade of your discharge by submitting DD Form 293, (Application for Review of Discharge of Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States) to the applicable Discharge Review Board. In your case:
    Naval Council of Personnel Boards
    720 Kennon Street, S.E
    Room 309 (NDRB)
    Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023
    this form can be obtained at your nearest VA Office, or possibly on line at www.va.gov, follow the links to the forms area. All necessary instructions are included with the form as are the mailing addresses for all 4 services discharge review boards. You should attachany and all documentation showing that you are now an upstanding member of the community, no arrest record, etc., to support your request. The more documentation you can submit to the board to convince them that you have "grown up" and regret your previous behavior the better. Be advised: even if the NDRB grants your request and awards an upgraded character of discharge, only the dischargeing authority can change your RE code, and this is RARELY done. Once you have obtained an upgraded discharge, you can then petition HQMC for a change in RE code.

Good Luck

Thanks.........

Thank you very much. This has been the best information I have received so far...........thanks again.............

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You might want to also get ahold of your local senator or congressman. I have just done so and Senator Cantwell is helping me get back on Active Duty to serve in the grunts once again. I have volunteered for Iraq or Afghanistan wherever the Corps see's fit. I would rather die with honor than in some Wal Mart or somethin.

Semper FI

Thread Information