Meeting Chesty
Create Post

Thread: Meeting Chesty

Meeting Chesty

I was in from 1964-68. After a tour in Vietnam, I was stationed at MCRD Parris Is, SC. I was part of the Depot Color Guard for the Marine Corps Birthday festivites on Nov. 10,1967. We participated in the parade, enlisted, NCO Staff NCO and Officer's balls. Chesty Puller was guest of honor. After we did our thing at the Staff NCO's ball, he came out and introduced himself. It was a great honor to shake the hand of a legend.

Used to know a Marine in Wyoming named Bill Miles. He ran a service station/ towing company. He told me this story...(as best as I remember...)

Bill was a Sgt. in Motor Transport at Pendelton. Chesty came through on some sort of inspection, met Sgt. Miles, and accepted a cigar Bill offered him.
    Four or five years later, when Chesty had taken command of the 2nd Div. at LeJeune, Sgt. Miles was in line at the dispensary, checking in to his new duty station. Chesty came into the dispensary and walked past Bill. Gen. Puller stopped, looked at Bill and said, Hey, Marine! After thinking for a second or two he asked, "Bill? Bill Miles, right? Hell, I still owe you a cigar, don't I?"
    Sgt. Miles told me he almost fell over! He wondered how Chesty remembered his name after such a breif initial meeting...and after so many years.
    Simple. Chesty was a "Marine's" Marine! He got to know his troops as best he could...because he cared about them.

drumcorpssnare

Thread Information