joining??
Create Post

Thread: joining??

Poolee/DEP Free Member amorellj's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

joining??

ok i am a rook at norwich university if anybody knows what that is... i definetly want to join the marine corps but i am afraid that my parents will just completely cut me off if i join... i know i can do it and i feel like i am ready... they just dont seem to understand that. does anyone have any ideas about how i can help them understand?

Norwich is a military college, why wouldn't your folks want you to join?
    Do they want you to finish the university first? Are they againts you enlisting? Do they just hate Marines???

There is a time that we must seperate ourselves from our parents and go our own ways. There is a time when a boy must become a man. There is a time when a person needs grow in maturity and do what his heart tells him. There is a picture that you need to look at my friend. Do you finish college and then join. That way you can become an officer. Or do you want to join now and then decide if you want to make a life of the Corps. You still will be able to become an officer through the enlisted ranks. Just make sure that is what you want to do. My older brother wanted to join when he was 17 and my parents would not let him because they disagreed. Just like with any parents, they did not want to see their child put their life on the line for their country. They would of rathered let other people fight and know their son is safe. For a parent to lost their child, it is pretty difficult to deal with. After boot camp my parents were proud of the decision that my older brother made. They love him just the same, they respect him more, and look to him for advice on more things. Now he has been promoted to Meritorious Staff Sargent. I then joined after him, and my parents were proud of me. Semper Fi. Then my little brother joined the army. So my parents went from anti military to all of their children joining and becoming something more than some of the people they graduated with.

Poolee/DEP Free Member amorellj's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    i think my parents are afraid that i will get sent overseas. but that is a risk that i am willing to take. i feel that i could make a good marine. i also think they would rather see me become an officer but i think i would rather make a career out of the corps.

Do you think that Officers don't make career's in the Corps? I think its time you reach down and get a hold of yourself and make a decision in your young life. It just might be the best one you ever make.

I think that would be your best choice, grab hold and make a decision. You can make a career out of it and still be an officer. You will just have to spend some time enlisted, when you get your degree, then put in papers for OCS. Officer Candidate School. Or do a MESAP package after your first four years.

Registered User Free Member Sgt Shayani's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Officer, I wish I had the opportunity to enlist as an officer to tell you the truth. But if you do go in as enlisted, remember that you'll always have the opportunity to become an officer and is never taken away from you, the options just grow as you become a marine. I can understand where your parents are coming from, not wanting you to join and all, respect that, but do what you feel and try to understand where people are coming from, at the same time, your old enough to make a decision freely. I'm sure that your parent's will be more than proud if you become a marine. Good Luck

Thread Information