Difference between MSG and MCSF? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Do all MSG's exclusively guard embassy's only or do they guard other things and places of national interests as well and not JUST embassy's?

Thanks

Registered User Free Member R.Linde's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This should help clear up questions about MSGs
    MSG Bn Web Page
    It's good duty, I stood watch in Tunis, Belgrade, an Muscat, loved it.

Registered User Free Member iowasurfer2's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I've got to offer a correction to the common misconception I've been hearing here. It is true that if you enlist into MCSF you are actually enlisting as an 03, and being sent to a 2 year tour as MCSF. After which you will be assigned to a regular infantry unit. However, you do NOT need to be an 03 to do MCSF. Having been a combat engineer during my 12 years as a Jarhead, I have watched many an engineer, bulk fueler, electrician, and heavy equipment operator receive orders and report to security forces. It normally happened at re-enlistment as a duty preference incentive. Just like a few years ago, they started offering Jump school as a re-up incentive to all MOS's. (just in case we ever need to drop some cooks or box kickers in behind enemy lines) So, the most direct route to MCSF is through the infantry, but that is not the only way.

true, its NOT he only way, but i'll tell ya this as a former Grunt and Security Force Marine. If on re-enlistment you decide to go MCSF, and are NOT a grunt, you are more than likley an NCO, and will be put in charge of a bunch of grunts, at least a squads worth. Now, they will respect your rank, and the fact that you are a Marine, but untill you prove yourself, because you are not a 0300, they are gonna qeustion you alot. maybe not openly, but among themselves they sure will.

SURFER, OLD GRUNT HERE. TIMES SURE HAVE CHANGED. AFTER DOING A STINT WITH 2ND. MAR. DIV. FMF. I WENT TO A NAVAL BASE FOR SECURITY TO ANOTHER COUNTRY. IT WAS JUST CALLED MARRINE BARRACKS. WHEN THERE IT CAME TO BE YOU HAD TO BE IN THE CORP. FOR 2 YRS. FOR A TOP SECRET CLEARANCE. NEEDLESS TO SAY ALOT DID NOT GET IT, AS BACK THEN AND WE HAD POSTS THAT REQUIRED IT. AT THAT TIME A JUDGE WOULD GIVE SOME OF THEM A CHOICE, JOIN UP OR SHIP OUT TO JAIL. BELIEVE THATS CHANGED NOW. YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ONE HAS NOT BEEN CLEARED, PUTS MORE WORK ON THE OTHERS FOR STANDING THAT POST. I BELIEVE NOW THE CORP. HAS SMARTENED UP ON ALOT ON THAT. JUST A NOTE, I WAS NOT BORN IN THE GOOD OLD U.S.A. BUT BEFORE I LEFT FOR MARINE BARRACKS WHILE HOME ON LEAVE I WAS SENT A TELEGRAM TO REPORT TO COURT HOUSE IN LOCAL CITY, LOW AND BEHOLD I BECAME AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. FOUND OUT LATER THAT IT WAS BECAUSE OF GETTING CLEARED FOR TOP SECRET AND GOING TO ANOTHER COUNTRY. SO QUESTION, IS THERE A NAME FOR SUCH DUTY NOW GIVEN? ON DUTY WE HAD M-1, 45, AND TOMPSON, DEPENDING ON POST. THANKS FOR ANY INFO.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i am also interested in MCSF as of now my contract is signed for infantry but my recruiter is trying to find me an opening in MCSF. one of my friends who was in 2nd FAST said that i will still go through SOI and then security forces training and i will have the opportunity to go through secondary schools such as SPIE and Fast Roping, DM school, and CQB that regular 03's don't have. So he basically said that MCSF marines are still infantry just with more training. and if i get the chance to go into FAST to do it because they travel alot and they they are bad@sses.

if your recruiter says he is WAITING for an opening, then just tell him you will WAIT to ship until you get the job you want. he may try and tell you that you cannot change ship dates, but this is only a partial truth, or at least, it used to be.

Registered User Free Member iowasurfer2's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, the only requirement is that you ship within 365 days of your enlistment date, or you will be discharged from the dep. That however can also be waived as I had to do it for a couple of knuckleheads. Hard to get it approved though.

On my contract it says Security Forces (PRP). It said that on my contract but I told my recruiter that I want to try for FAST. Can I still try for FAST? I was also planning to get lasik after all my training, will that disqualify me?

My contract is UW Marine Corps Security Forces (PRP) (no "special" **** lol) The recruiters tried to tell me that i was getting a Presidential Support Contract. Im pretty sure this isn't the case. from what i;'ve heard you just go in as security forces, but when and how is your specific job determined? Do you apply, or are you selected for things like FAST, and presidential support?

You do not have to be an 03 to be in MCSF. I know several Marines from other MOS's that are in the guard platoons at Bangor right now.

Way to bring up a 3 yr old thred out of the dumpters

Holy crap, no joke, I didn't even look at the old dates.

Last edited by DIBLO7; 07-09-08 at 11:43 AM. Reason: I cant spell

Well, since you brought it up, Sergeant, I just heard today that my recruit is being encouraged by his Drill Instructors to apply for Presidentail Security Detail. He was told that he has to make a decision by next week. BTW, he is just starting his fourth week at MCRDSD. Going into to Boot Camp he was contracted to be 03xx and will go to SOI after boot leave.

I have read this entire thread and searched Google and this site, but am just as confused as ever, however at a much higher level. LMAO

Assuming he can qualify for the PSD, will he still have an 03xx MOS? He said in his letter he would have to have a five year obligation, not married and would be stationed in DC. My question is this: Is this encouragement to apply for PSD a good thing? He said he would be in DC for 4 of those 5 years. I'm not sure how much of this is bs trying to fill a Corps need or if the Drill Instructors see something in him that would make him a good candidate.

Help me out, Brothers! This is ground I have never plowed.

Semper Fi,
    Ed

Thread Information