Young and Dumb
Create Post

Thread: Young and Dumb

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Young and Dumb

Hello everyone. My name is Seth. I'm 16, and currently enrolled in JROTC. I have been considering different branches of service, and I think I have decided on the Marines. I have already talked with the recruiter, and will be able to sign my contract in June. I come highly recommended from the Colonel, and Sergeant in charge of our local JROTC program. I am in great physical shape, and make extremely high grades. I did however have a small marijuana charge when I was 15. It was for possession on school property, and some minor charge for it as well due to it being only a roach. After I was caught I have had NO drug usage whatsoever. I have stayed out of all forms of trouble, excelled in school, hold a steady job, demonstrated financial responsibility, and come highly recommended in terms of moral character and responsibility by all of my teachers, friends, ect. My only concern is that the juvenile charges would barre me from enlistment. As far as what happened following the charges, I went to court once for a pretrial hearing, then was ordered to take substance abuse classes. The prosecutor then got my case dismissed on account of me doing well in school and all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My dad leaves for Iraq this November so I am trying to get things squared away before he leaves. Thanks in advance for any answers.

P.S. I apologize for any errors in grammar. I tried my best.

Your juvenile should not be able to be used against you. It's sealed. Don't worry about it.

Yep agree with the above.

But if it's not documented, nobody will ever know.

Always remember your 11th general order. "don't get caught" lol jk

Credits
    Savings
    Nothing is sealed, forever. Nothing.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for reassuring me. That really was bothering me. Hopefully everything will go smoothly with me enlisting. I plan on going reserves as infantry, while I am going to college. Then getting commissioned as a full time infantry officer after I complete my four year degree.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Dave

Isn't there some sort of movement on CORI ( data bank for criminal offenses) in MA? A lot of the data is flawed and as such may prevent someone from joining the Corps if they so wish

I won't go into into the other aspects of CORI for this is not the place

Seth,
    It sounds like you pulled your head out of your butt as you have grown up. Keep your nose clean and don't do anything stupid and you will be fine. Being a kid means you will make foolish mistakes as you did. Becoming an adult mean leaving the childhood errors and foolishness behind you.
    Keep out of trouble and you will be fine...both in the Corps and in life.

Thread Information